Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #1

Motorhome windshields

Here is a topic I have been curious about, but I haven't seen any discussions addressing it. From my observations, mohos of the 2007 and earlier models mostly had the split windshields, with the vertically stacked wiper blade assemblies. From 2008 forward most models have the single large windshield, with the wipers down out of the way. When I purchased my moho 2 years ago I preferred the single glass model, partly because the vertical wipers seemed like they would be a distraction to my line of sight. But of course many people drive their moho just fine with the wipers there. (I've never driven a moho with the split glass, so I have no perspective on this matter.)

Is there structural and /or monetary advantage to either system?

Has anybody out there transitioned from piloting a single windshield rig to one with a split arrangement and had a difficult time adapting to the wiper placement being in the field of vision?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

I don't know about wipers being any problem either way but there are several post on slit windshields poping out or needed reseating which I haven't herd of on a single.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have had 2 motorhomes and both had the split windshield. I guess you just get use to it. We had friend that had the early version of the HR single windshield, it kept falling out. Come to find out they needed a several thousand dollar mod to the structure above. Monaco when out of business before they realized the problem, needless to say they were not happy campers

TOM
2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
Probably a lot less expensive to replace a cracked windshield on a split model, since you'll only be replacing one side hopefully.
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #5

We had a split windshield on our Bounder, but the wipers layed horizontal at the bottom of the windshield. I sat in other mhs with vertical wipers that later became popular and I did not care for that arrangement. Our new mh has a full window which is nice, but will miss the advantage of only replacing half the windshield if there is damage. Never had any problems with the split windshield.

Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
At our dealership, we had more failures with the one piece windshield. The center brace helps to stabilize the opening.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had the split windshields up until the one we now have. It is nicer to have the full view but not necessary. Replacement of the one piece windshield will be more expensive.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady_Rest View Post
We had a split windshield on our Bounder, but the wipers layed horizontal at the bottom of the windshield. I sat in other mhs with vertical wipers that later became popular and I did not care for that arrangement. Our new mh has a full window which is nice, but will miss the advantage of only replacing half the windshield if there is damage. Never had any problems with the split windshield.

Kevin
Yes, I've wondered why the wipers couldn't be placed at the bottom of the glass in the split window, so now I see it sometimes is done that way, but it must be rare.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have had both types. The biggest problem I had with one piece windshield was going out of a drive way at a angle torquing the frame and breaking the windshield. Put the jacks down wrong and the same problem. 3 windshields in 8 years. Never had that problem with 2 piece, but did have leaks. Windshield wipers never bothered me horrizontal or vertical parked.
Mel
Old 08-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #10

I'm looking at a MH with a scenic windshield that has a crack in a lower corner (Monaco coach)

What is an estimated cost to replace a single-piece windshield, and who in the SE does this kind of work?
Old 08-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Large RV dealers like Lazydays (Tampa) have glass shops. Otherwise, I would suggest contacting Duncan Systems or RVGlassExperts.com for an installer in your area. You can get a quote from them too, so no guesswork.

It cost $1200 to replace a half windshield in my coach in 2008. One piece windshields were around $1800-$2000 at that time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My coach brand (American Coach) changed from split to one piece at model year 2005. The elimination of the center piece is merely a matter of aesthetics, not quality. It does, of course, require a stronger surrounding structure when there is no center brace. When RV makers first changed over to single piece, they sometimes didn't get the front cap re-design quite right and there were problems with cracks or "popping" windshields, but they eventually got it right. RV's don't get the extensive road testing that new cars receive, so buyers of a new body style are the guinea pigs.

Wiper position is a front cap design question and not dependent on split vs one piece, though. Wipers can be mounted top or bottom and be vertical or horizontal at rest. Bottom mount and vertical is probably the cheapest and simplest design, though, so that likely explains why it is so common in Class A's.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I'm looking at a MH with a scenic windshield that has a crack in a lower corner (Monaco coach)

What is an estimated cost to replace a single-piece windshield, and who in the SE does this kind of work?
Is it a crack or a chip? Mine got hit by a rock last week and put a dime size chip/crack in the bottom center of my one piece windshield. Safelite came out and filled it with resin. It's barely noticeable and I didn't have to go thru the hassle of getting that huge piece of glass replaced
Old 08-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Is it a crack or a chip?
here's a photo of the crack. I have no idea what caused it, or how much spidering will occur when the coach gets driven. The (minimal) good news is that it doesn't interfere with vision whatsoever.

Did Monacos have body flex that might have caused this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camelot.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	102527  

Tags
motorhome