Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I fill small containers with moth balls, drill holes in the containers, and leave one in each basement compartment. I got the idea from this forum I think. I've never had mice, but never want to either. I can't say that this works definitively, as I've only been at this RV stuff for a year now, but it's worth a try. (BTW--empty spice containers work nicely for this as long as you clean them first..)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #16

I read somewhere that if you stuff any openings with steel wool, mice will not mess with it. They hate it.
Can't actually verify that this works, but made sense to me. Any thoughts?

Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #17

Bounce liberally throughout the MH and storage bays. = No mice and fresh MH in the spring.
\
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #18

I use a bar bait type killer in shallow dishes dont use D-con you will be finding it every where in the spring. and then build a couple 5gal pail traps but instead of putting water in the bottom use rv antifreeze. Kinda like this on u-tube and peanut butter for bait use a board for a ramp up to the top. BEST MOUSE TRAP IN THE WORLD - YouTube One in the coach one in the basement.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #19

Put out some mouse traps and catch the first few mice that come around the RV. Cut off their itty-bitty heads and put them on itty-bitty spikes around the outside of the RV. The others will get the message and stay away.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks a lot for all your ideas and thoughts they are are very helpful
Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynch View Post
Irish Spring soap bars placed throughout.
While you'll still have the mice their breath will be fresh and their faces sparkling clean...
Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a storage barn where I store antique autos, my tractors, equipment and our Motorhome. I have found that D-Com attracts them, and then it kills them. usually somewhere like your DWs fresh linen drawer. Yuk!

Last year one of the car owners introduced me to Cab Fresh. He just tossed a couple into his old Mustang and left. I went to Ace Hardware and bought two boxes. I merely tossed them under our Motorhome and Walla! Not a mouse was in our MH all Winter. I just tossed some more under everything in the barn yesterday.

They are made of Balsam Oil and are VERY aromatic. In fact just a little sniff gives me a headache, so I don't sniff them. The aroma however when dissipated in a large area is not bad for humans, but evidently mice hate it.

Of course I did want to let my DWs little cat spend the Winter our there, but the DW said it would be me out there before her precious.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
This is what we use. Never any mice in the house or shop or MH. Ball bearing mouse trap.
me too!!! Works great and fun to have around.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Just got a rat zapper to try this winter. Basically a rat / mouse size bug zapper trap that kills the mouse with an electrical shock. Battery powered, bate with a little dry dog food, mouse goes in for the food and does not come out. Just have to pick up the trap and shake him out into the trash can.
Best price I found was amazon $32. Just do a search for rat zapper.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #25

All sound like great ideas for keeping the mice out of the inside of the motorhome, but what about the outside.

I noticed a mouse on top of the engine after pulling off the dog house cover. Looked like he had been chewing on one of the spark plug wires. Looked into replacement set, and because they have ceramic boots they are quite expensive compared to regular wires. Well over $100.00 !!!

Any thoughts.............?????
Old 10-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahn007 View Post
All sound like great ideas for keeping the mice out of the inside of the motorhome, but what about the outside.

I noticed a mouse on top of the engine after pulling off the dog house cover. Looked like he had been chewing on one of the spark plug wires. Looked into replacement set, and because they have ceramic boots they are quite expensive compared to regular wires. Well over $100.00 !!!

Any thoughts.............?????

Good question!! I think I will try sitting one of the fresh cab packages on the engine to see if that helps?? Unless there are better ideas??
Old 10-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #27

Mice in MH

Before storing your MH place D-econ around areas that mice my hide and live during the summer. Near bushes, high grass, shrubs and around the house. Of course you need to be careful if you have pets and young children. I live in a Rural setting and keep a De-con program 365. Change poison stations every three months and monitor activity for how much is eaten. Works for me.

Tags
motorhome, winter