Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I really would love if our radiator was on the side.
I watched the guy change the belt while lying on the ground.
He bumped his head once on an exhaust bracket he wasn't
impressed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
I really would love if our radiator was on the side.
I watched the guy change the belt while lying on the ground.
He bumped his head once on an exhaust bracket he wasn't
impressed.
Just another item to add to "The next time list"

Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Sure makes me happy my rig has a side radiator!
how would that help in any way when in the OP situation? sent guy to wrong place and then sent second guy whom was not a mechanic
Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #18

OK why didn't somebody tell me about the side radiator before I bought one with a rear radiator?

Another question why did they ever build the with rear radiators anyway,
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
OK why didn't somebody tell me about the side radiator before I bought one with a rear radiator?

Another question why did they ever build the with rear radiators anyway,
Did you ask?
Second question:

$$$$$$$$
Old 07-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #20

I'm not buying any huge time difference for side vs rear. It depends more on how the topside access to the engine was designed (or the rear hatch on a side rad).

Open the top hatch, lay on top the motor, thread the belt, unload the tensioner, tension the belt. Seems like if you had a rear hatch if it wasn't big enough or something was in the way of the bar you use to unload the tensioner it could be just as hard as accessing it from the top.

by the way, bungees are a great way of keeping tension on the belt while you unload the tensioner and slip it over. drill a hole in something, straighten the hook on a bungee, and use the other hook to hold it where you need it.

This winter I'm going to build a stand that goes on top the motor and gives me something to lay on so I'm not stretched over the bed pedestal.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Don't agree.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I'm not buying any huge time difference for side vs rear. It depends more on how the topside access to the engine was designed (or the rear hatch on a side rad).

Open the top hatch, lay on top the motor, thread the belt, unload the tensioner, tension the belt. Seems like if you had a rear hatch if it wasn't big enough or something was in the way of the bar you use to unload the tensioner it could be just as hard as accessing it from the top.

by the way, bungees are a great way of keeping tension on the belt while you unload the tensioner and slip it over. drill a hole in something, straighten the hook on a bungee, and use the other hook to hold it where you need it.

This winter I'm going to build a stand that goes on top the motor and gives me something to lay on so I'm not stretched over the bed pedestal.
Guaranteed I could change anything on the front of my engine faster than a rear radiator.......I could have my belt off before you could get yourself positioned on top of your engine .......then you are working by feel, I doubt that you could see the front of you engine through the hatch. How about a thermostat or alternator change out?
There is a reason why side radiator units cost more......
Old 07-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
I agree with DanDiemen23,
Failure to inspect such items by whoever did the service work, with a insurance co. that sends a person that does not have a clue, should not be held against the motor home.
Having changed my fair share of both rear and side mounts the time required is about the same.
The OP needs to find a service shop that in fact does a complete service at a reasonable price and after the service check that it was done.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
...nobody wants to work on motorhomes and the fact that motorhomes are extremely unreliable as a vehicle.
This has certainly not been our experience.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
........ What really disturbed me about this breakdown was discovering that nobody wants to work on motorhomes and the fact that motorhome s are extremely unreliable as a vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
This has certainly not been our experience.

Jim
My 94 F700 RV is easily the most reliable vehicle I have. simplest one I have as well. My 2nd best is a 77 Ford pickup I bought for $800 6 years ago.
both These vehicles are "Brainless" My 99 and 06 Jeeps on the other hand are better on fuel but far more complex.

serpentine drive belts can look good one day and fly apart the next. I saw this first hand 20 years ago.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
So you have one breakdown of a "wear item" and you jump to the conclusion that MH's are unreliable! Boy that is one huge leap to a conclusion. You've never had a breakdown in a car?

The issue of "mechanics" not being able or want to change you belt is not any fault of the MH. And yes you have run into one of the serious disadvantages of the rear radiator, there is just no getting around the fact that access to the front of the engine is far easier on the side radiator which makes both maintenance and repairs much easier and less expensive.

I have two friends who have rear radiator coaches and both cannot wait to upgrade to rear radiator models.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #26
paz

Quote:
...What
really disturbed me about this breakdown was discovering
that nobody wants to work on motorhomes and the fact
that motorhome s are extremely unreliable as a vehicle.
Sorry to hear about your problem.

It's not that motorhomes are that unreliable, it's just that when it breaks down it is very inconvenient, especially for full-timers. If it has to go into the shop, you have no home.

A lot of truck service centers don't want to touch motorhomes, but assuming you have a Freightliner chassis, there should be a list of service centers that will work on motorhomes on the Freightliner website. Good Sam should have been able to locate one of these, but you may want to bookmark the page on your computer for future reference.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
What's the saying my math teachers taught me way back when ?
"two points determine a straight line"?

It MAY not be the mh is unreliable, but the situation certainly was for him AND for me as far as the roadside assistance goes...

In my case a flat tire that instead of sending someone from the town 15 miles back, they sent one from 3 hours away !!!

But at least they did get to me eventually THAT TIME....

But with the next rv, Coach-net said I was not a member !!! so there
Old 07-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE ] So you have one breakdown of a "wear item" and you jump to the conclusion that MH's are unreliable! Boy that is one huge leap to a conclusion. You've never had a breakdown in a car?
[/QUOTE]

Yep pretty much although this is the first time we have been left stranded overnight, there is always something breaking with these motorhomes ( new or used ). When a serpentine belt breaks I presume its because a pulley is seizing or the belt was simply worn out. ( will have to get a spare ).
We made it the rest of the trip home ( 3 hours ) so I guess it was just a worn out belt.

Tags
motorhome