Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #57

Freightliner Owners Club
I do a visual serpentine belt check on all our rigs. This is in no way a guarantee that they won't fail, but a visual check let's you see cracks and unusual wearing which is a sign of a belt tensioner going bad. As far as MH's being unreliable....what isn't these days? You have a home with you which is far better than being in a car or truck. Have I been towed in the MH? Yep. Have I been towed in the truck...Yep, lost the fuel injector, been towed otherwise...just in an accident. So, nothing is safe too keep you from uninterrupted travel. All we can do is keep our equipment in the best operating condition we can, keep whatever road side assistant insurance you have and like a seaman.....go for it and keep life jackets on board. The alternative..........?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Yes it wasn't terrible staying in a motorhome during the breakdown. Not knowing how long we were going to be stranded ie weeks because nobody would touch a motorhome was an eye opener for me. If the tow truck guy showed up and said he was going to tow me to a facility that would take care of us in the morning I would have been happy. Money was not the issue ( although it could easily be ) I know these things are not cheap. Having two full sized dogs on board and DW added to the stress . Being towed to a facility that wont get to me for a week or two would not have been helpful and seemed to be the only choice available . Inspecting the belt seems almost impossible. These radiators should be on hinges and swing out of the way to access the engine. I dont blame the Rv guy who put the belt on incorrectly because he does not normally do this kind of work and was unsure of the belt routing. He was the only one willing to help me and he came back on a Sunday to do it. My manuals were useless and only yesterday did I finally find online the true belt diagram for my engine. Now that it has been a few days I realize that I am being a baby wa waa waa waaaaa....... looking forward now .... thanks again......

Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
discovering that nobody wants to work on motorhomes and the fact that motorhome s are extremely unreliable as a vehicle.

This has not been my experience.
X2

I have a 1993 Pace Arroe Diesel Pusher that is all original and I have had zero problems.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
X2

I have a 1993 Pace Arroe Diesel Pusher that is all original and I have had zero problems.
Kinda goes hand in hand. If I had zero problems I would not have known that
motorhome s are a mechanics night mare. Everyone has zero problems right up until their
first problem, then they just keep coming
Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #61

Gerorgetown350, I can sympathize with your feelings. I had a 94 pace arrow that was nothing but problems. A rookie purchase that never should have happened. Spent thousands on repairs, had it inspected before going to florida and still lost the master cylinder in SC. Had enough and sold it when I got home . Will buy again in the future, but do a better job of getting a new coach when I do ( I hope) good luck to you.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Thankyou and good luck with your future purchase. We are in discussion
about the future of our coach.

Tags
motorhome