Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Motorhomes, pre buy inspection.....

I tried the search button but maybe I'm using the wrongg words or something.
What I would like to ask is in buying a used coach, where would I find an inspector for checking the diesel engine and Trans. These are the things that have me out on a limb. I had a diesel pickup some tim ago but I'm looking at Cummins and Cat engines and know nothing about what to look at. I would like someone who knows these engins tak a look at it and tell me if there appears to be any problems. Leaky gaskets, lines, and strange noises.
Thanks in advance. I have one picked out , but this is making me worry a bit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #2

When looking at a diesel pusher motorhome, you should have the engine and transmission inspected by a mechanic shop that is familiar with the specific chassis and engine model. You should also hire an RV inspector (see the inspector locator at NRVIA.org) to do an inspection of the RV house side of things (check for roof leaks, de-laminating side walls, plumbing, RV systems and appliances, ...)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #3

You dont say where you are located ?

If you fill out your personal profile someone near by may be able to help you.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner and Spartan have factory authorized service centers for motorhome chassis work. Cat service centers will usually work on Cat-engine coaches too. Orphan chassis like Roadmaster, Peak, Dynomax might be harder to find help, even though the engine and tranny are still Cummins (or Cat) and Allison. Some places just don't like to deal with orphans.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #5

Interesting.
I have had a Roadmast chassis for some 15 years.
No shop has ever ask and I have never told them what chassis I have.
All of the air ride and bolt on components are sourced big rig standard parts.
Every part that was ever needed , brakes, bearings, air bags air valves were in stock at the big rig shop doing the work.
NAPA is our go to for many semi truck items when doing routine maintenance. And our RV's
I personally have ordered parts from finditparts or 4stateparts or others like I do for our semis that we service.
The name Roadmaster means nothing.
As other chassis.
Its Two rails with a bolt on suspension and front end.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #6

This is just me and may not apply. The money I spent on an inspector was a waste of money. Told me the batteries tested good, 8 AGMs, $3500 later the 8 of them are good. That was the worst of it. Now, since I don't know what you're looking at, an oil leak can be expensive to fix. We had one on the hydraulic pump. 1st fix was Cummins which failed quickly. I would avoid Cummins centers at all cost. A quick search on the net will show the problem with the hydraulic pump, two mounting bolts and when over torqued will warp the housing, causing a leak, solution; thicker gasket material. Cummins will use the factory gasket. Second shop made a gasket out of material and now the leak is fixed, Cummins bent me over on the repair, second shop was a diesel truck repair charged less than half what Cummins did. So be aware. A good diesel heavy truck repair shop is the best way to go. CAT parts are extremely expensive so be aware. We no longer use Cummins for anything we can get somewhere else, the only thing they have ever done for us that didn't fail was an oil change. Small truck shops have fixed all of their work at less than half the cost. And as luck has it, every thing fails many miles from home. Need more info on what you're looking at.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
ISM 500, MH4000 tranny
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:30 AM   #7

Just my experience; I had my coach on a Spartan chassis inspected by a Freighliner facility before purchase. That saved me about $4000 in repairs.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Just my experience; I had my coach on a Spartan chassis inspected by a Freighliner facility before purchase. That saved me about $4000 in repairs.
Was it a private or dealer sale? Who drove the MH to freightliner? How much was it? Did you have to give earnest money so that you could get it inspected? Sorry for all the questions but everyone says to get an inspection but almost no one gives any details.
Thanks.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Snip
Sorry for all the questions but everyone says to get an inspection but almost no one gives any details.
Thanks.
You are wise to ask.
In my case I bought my MH from a listing on Craigs list. I vetted the seller and it so happen I had done business with a competitor of the seller several years before. The seller was a boat broker and he knew the importance of getting an inspection. I traded several emails with him and he agreed to drive the MH to get the chassis inspected at a Freightliner repair facility and to another facility to get the house portion inspected with me in the coach with him. I did not drive the coach.
I sorta bonded with him during our time together and having been in and around boats most of my life we had a connection.

I prefer to buy from an owner but would have considered a dealer if the right one came along. I was lucky and found a cooperative owner/seller.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:41 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all very much. I am looking at one in a dealer and gained from the coments some of the things I thought I would hear and some new ones. We will include tose thing s in our list to remember them. Again I thank you all for your time and truthfulness.
Onward to the search now.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
You are wise to ask.
In my case I bought my MH from a listing on Craigs list. I vetted the seller and it so happen I had done business with a competitor of the seller several years before. The seller was a boat broker and he knew the importance of getting an inspection. I traded several emails with him and he agreed to drive the MH to get the chassis inspected at a Freightliner repair facility and to another facility to get the house portion inspected with me in the coach with him. I did not drive the coach.
I sorta bonded with him during our time together and having been in and around boats most of my life we had a connection.

I prefer to buy from an owner but would have considered a dealer if the right one came along. I was lucky and found a cooperative owner/seller.

Thanks for the update. I think I'm capable of doing the house inspection. I think if I'm not able to work out a chassis inspection than I might break my own rule and get an extended warranty for the first couple of years.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I drove mine to my local Alison Repair Facility, Smith Power Products in SLC. Cost about $300 as I remember. But first I did a look over for signs of maintenance and care, just to see if this was worth the $300, and before I negotiated a price.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I drove mine to my local Alison Repair Facility, Smith Power Products in SLC. Cost about $300 as I remember. But first I did a look over for signs of maintenance and care, just to see if this was worth the $300, and before I negotiated a price.
From dealer or private sale? It seems like it would be unusual for a dealer to agree to take a MH to an inspector before you agree to buy it. I know the rule of thumb is to not get emotionally attached to a particular MH..... In reality if you've searched as much as I have and find a great MH you don't want to lose it by demanding a chassis inspection if the owner or dealer doesn't do that.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
In the search box put PDI. Pre-Deliver Inspection

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes