Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #1

Mountain Driving

I driven my 40' class A all over the country, 32 states on our last year and half trip. During this time I have always avoided the roads with a sign that reads "tractor trailers over 30' from kingpin to rear axle not recommended".

Has anyone had experience taking their 40' plus rig on this type of road? I'm close to 60' with toad. I can always disconnect the toad and have the DW drive it.

I guess my question is would you or have you taken your rig on this type of road?

The road in question is highway 32 out of Chico in Northern California. I was looking at the Mountain Directory West and they listed it as a pretty winding road.

trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What's your actual wheelbase? If it's longer than 30', I wouldn't do it.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

Just measured the wheelbase and it's only 21' center to center.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Then you're probably OK. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but my rig is longer and taller than most out there.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #5

Sounds like you're an experienced driver with an RV and a toad. Although I haven't driven roads signed as you indicate (I don't RV in California for a number of reasons) I have driven roads such as Arizona 89A from Prescott to Cottonwood and from Sedona to Flagstaff with a 40' RV and toad (73' overall). That road limits truck length and has a number of switchbacks, steep grades, and cliffs, up and down, that are very close to the road edge, but an experienced driver can handle the road without problems. I'm definitely not recommending roads of these types for the RV driver who runs 1000-2000 miles a year, but easily do-able for experienced. Many RV drivers see this type of roads and immediately go into panic mode. If you can't make a hairpin while staying in the lane, you slow down or wait until ongoing traffic allows you to make the turn as you need. When you get 2-3 folks stacked behind you, pull over and let them go by. When driving steep roads, gear selection, use of PAC brake or engine retarder and driving well ahead of where you are on presently on the road is required, but appears well beyond many RV'ers. Same for watching cliff edges that may reach out and kiss you.

Your attitude of disconnecting if you get in a bind says you drive well ahead, and obviously don't panic. Do your homework, take it easy and enjoy. Don't let the nay-sayers get you down. If you can park it in a tight RV park, the only thing you need to be concerned about is the 11' 6" tunnel with a 12' 4" rig.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #6

I can't see you having a problem navigating CA 32 from Chico to CA 36. Been over it many times. There's a stretch around Deer Creek that's windy and narrow. Other than that it's a decent road. Actually it's not as bad as US 299 from Redding to Eureka. When in the windy narrows, just take your time and don't worry about the rigs behind you. Just pull over and let them pass when you get to a wide place. You'll be just fine, and will have a very scenic trip.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took hwy 36 in NorCal with my 39' towing a Jeep Wrangler. It was tense, at one point ending up as a single lane winding road on a long ridge top. We made it OK but it certainly was not a relaxing trip and we almost hit a deer as well. Next time I'll take the long way.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I think I'll give it a shot. I was on some mighty small narrow roads in New England. In fact one remember was about an 8 mile drive with the right side in the dirt and the left side over the double yellow. That was an interesting drive, as well as being slow and rough. Beat the coach to death!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I think you will be fine.

Hwy 299 has the kingpin warning and I have towed a 23' boat and trailer behind the 38' MH on that highway many times.

However, we almost got creamed on 299, when approaching an inside hairpin turn, by a truck & trailer who failed to observe the warning signs. His rear trailer wheels barely missed my driver seat as he came out of his turn.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote