Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Mountain driving

We purchased a 1997 HR35 last August, Chevy 454. We have taken 3 major trips from Wisconsin, to the Appalachians, to Florida, and to New Mexico. Having children in New Mexico and Denver we anticipate a lot of mountain driving in the future. I have learned a valuable lesson without damage when driving the Blue Ridge PW and my wife asking, "what's that smell?" I was able to pull off and let the brakes cool.
My question, would a diesel with it's better engine braking make a big difference, or is a gas rig properly handled ok? I do not tow but we will be buying a tow vehicle hopefully 3500 lbs or less. I will put brakes on the towed vehicle, but won't this make engine braking less effective as the brakes are not on when down shifting.
I came over Raton Pass without a problem but to be honest I don't look forward to the day when I will come down from the Eisenhower Tunnel to Denver.
Thanks for any good advice or encouragement.

JerryKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jerry,
A diesel, in my opinion, has better breaking than a gas engine. That being said, I've driven to Alaska and all over the Yukon in a Ford V10 motorhome. First, if your in the mountains and driving a gas engine you should turn off the overdrive. Also, depending on the grade you are descending, you should be at a slower speed and lower gear as you begin your descent. Once started down the hill you should never feather your breaks, press firmly on the pedal until you have reduced to a speed of at least about 15 miles per hour lower than when you started to apply the breaks. There have been some hills that I never got above third gear or faster than 40 miles/hour with some downshifts into second gear. Just don't let the traffic behind you make any decisions for you.

2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
I've lived in the west all my life and have driven most of it including the last 6 years in my class A gasser. I've learned the "expensive" braking issue and make it a policy to descend in the same gear and rate of speed I would normally climb a hill.

Just yesterday I came down from 7000' to 3000' in less than 20 miles and although I didn't take that route getting up there (I have before), I know that sometimes it's 25mph all the way, when fully loaded and pulling.

The 8.1L engine (with the Allison 1000) is very responsive and doesn't seem to mind 4000-4500rpm in second gear.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Hi jerry katt,
Welcome to iRV2. RJay said it all. Explained a bit differently, with a diesel, one can turn on the engine/exhaust brake and most all the braking and gear down shifting is automatically taken care of. If the coach goes faster than you want, just stab the brakes until it is at the desired speed. With gas engines the driver needs to make downshift decisions.

An old rule of thumb is to go down a hill at the same speed and gear you came up the hill.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum Jerry!

IMHO, the answer to your question is yes, a diesel generally has better braking capability on descents but that doesn't mean that gassers can't be handled safely. As a newbie buying my first coach I was VERY concerned about being able to control all that weight on a descent and that drove my decision to purchase the diesel.

Glad you caught your problem while there was still time to pull over and let 'em cool. Brake fade doesn't always end so well.

Good luck...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Diesel with Jake Brake or Pac Brake,,,These are exhuast brakes, the small diesel engines have NO engine braking capacity,,they are all exhaust brakes and work well, Watch your tranny temp when using an exhuast brake,,they have been known to cause hight tranny temps...The exhaust brake slows the engine and vehicle well and that means low air flow and low tranny pump pressure.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by jerry katt View Post
I will put brakes on the towed vehicle, but won't this make engine braking less effective as the brakes are not on when down shifting.
Not sure what you mean here Jerry. If you mean the toad brakes don't operate unless the coach service brakes are being applied... that's not always true. My Brake Buddy Classic operates the toad brakes when it senses the coach is slowing so they do work with the engine brake.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Well, my response to all this is, when it comes to going up and down mountain grades, what's your hurry?

Last year, my exhaust brake malfunctioned just before a planned trip through the Rocky Mountains in Canada, and the Sierra Nevadas in the States. We enjoyed the trip anyway.

I found that when the highway sign said 7% grade downhill, I immediately slowed down to 45 MPH, shifted the Allison to 4th gear, and slowly rode down the hill until I reached the bottom. Once or twice I had to jam the brakes the pull the unit down to keep it under control, but hey, no sweat.

That was a 4000 mile trip with lots of mountain grades, pulling a Honda Pilot behind us. I still haven't fixed the exhaust brake, and I'm not too worried about it.

I learned that I had to stop worrying about the sports cars behind me, and stop thinking that I've got to move my house over every hill in the country at posted highway speed. I started to think about the safety of my family, and then I started to really enjoy the ride.

This I learned: When approaching a steep downward road, I have to quickly get my coach under control. It doesn't matter if all the young folks in their 2000 lb sports cars are frustrated with me. I'm carrying my loved ones in my home here, and it doesn't matter how long it takes, I'm going to get them through this safely. I start at the top of the hill with my speed under control, no faster than I want to ever go at any time on that hill. I allow the coach to pick up a little speed, then I press the brakes very firmly to pull the coach back into my control speed. Then I release the brakes entirely. This lets the brakes cool down.

An experienced truck driver told me that the worst thing I can do is ride the brakes. Not only does it wear the brake pads prematurely, if I overheat the brakes enough, the drums can expand so large that the brake pads can no longer expand out enough to press against them. That means: no brakes at all. I don't want that to happen.l

I'm not out on that road to impress anyone with how much power my coach has and how fast I can handle the hills. I've driven trucks for enough years to know that the motor coach that passes me half way up the 6% grade going 60 MPH had to have hit the bottom of the hill behind us at a speed of at least 75 MPH, and that sir, is simply crazy.
Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
I just came down Vail Pass and down Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,700 ft elevation to Denver on Sunday 5/29/11 with no trouble at all. Tha Jake would slow my Monaco Sig. From 58 to 50 mph in 300 yards on a 6% grade. Never worried about it at all. Got really good mpg on that leg (down hill).

2004 Monaco Signature
Detroit 60
2011 Honda CR-V
2004 Monaco Signature Château 43'
Detroit 60 Series, Vorad Collision Avoidance
2011 Honda CR-V EXL, M&G Brakes
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jerry to sum all of it into a nutshell either engine diesel or gas brakes better at a high rpm which means to downshift before you begin the descent. If possible avoid downshifting on the descent. As said before while braking use enough force to slow maybe ten to fifteen mph. Then release the brakes until you regain that speed and repeat the process.
I try to use a combination of engine braking with the regular brakes.
If you accidentally get to fast while descending I prefer to slow down with the brakes and then downshift the tranny and engine. It is preferable to use the engine brake as primary and supplement with the brakes.
Disclaimer: Under certain low traction conditions it might be best to use the brakes because with engine braking only one wheel is actually holding you back and could loose traction.
If I have mistated anything someone feel free to correct me.
2004 Dolphin Basement AC
7KW Onan Marqui Gold
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everything well said. You know even if your not driving the mountains at this particular time it's always good to review articles like this to keep your mind sharp for when the time comes.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a diesel and love the engine brake, bareley use the brakes on any declines, I tow a Chevy Colorado and Don't even know it is there. For me a diesel is the way to go.
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
Mountain driving

Thanks for your responses. Jerry

JerryKatt is offline   Reply With Quote