Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

Mounting replacement couch to floor

I put this in the general Class A forum since I don't think this question is peculiar to my coach. We've only been out a couple of times in our new Excursion 35C. We like it so far, but to say I'm unimpressed by the comfort of the FlexSteel Reclining Loveseat/Bed would be an understatement. It doesn't seem very comfortable as a couch, reclining isn't much better. And certainly I'd never want to sleep on it in the "bed" configuration. So like many others I'm considering replacing it with a conventional LazyBoy type loveseat recliner (the couch is just shy of 70 inches wide). I see lots of people doing this, but have not yet seen anyone discuss mounting the couch to the floor to secure it in case of an accident. The existing flex steel has 3 sets of seat belts (which I assume are some sort of legal requirement) which are bolted to the floor. Id think the couch itself is secured fairly well, although I would guess they don't crash test these like they would a car.

We travel with our daughter (currently 6) and we make her wear her belt when moving. I'd like to be able to pull the existing belts through the new couch and continue to use them. But it might do more harm than good if there were even a minor accident and the couch moved (probably toward my wife in the front passenger seat), only to be restrained by my daughter's midsection attached to the seatbelt.

Any ideas? I really want to dump this thing, but not at the risk of making traveling in the vehicle less safe.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
I put this in the general Class A forum since I don't think this question is peculiar to my coach. We've only been out a couple of times in our new Excursion 35C. We like it so far, but to say I'm unimpressed by the comfort of the FlexSteel Reclining Loveseat/Bed would be an understatement. It doesn't seem very comfortable as a couch, reclining isn't much better. And certainly I'd never want to sleep on it in the "bed" configuration. So like many others I'm considering replacing it with a conventional LazyBoy type loveseat recliner (the couch is just shy of 70 inches wide). I see lots of people doing this, but have not yet seen anyone discuss mounting the couch to the floor to secure it in case of an accident. The existing flex steel has 3 sets of seat belts (which I assume are some sort of legal requirement) which are bolted to the floor. Id think the couch itself is secured fairly well, although I would guess they don't crash test these like they would a car.

We travel with our daughter (currently 6) and we make her wear her belt when moving. I'd like to be able to pull the existing belts through the new couch and continue to use them. But it might do more harm than good if there were even a minor accident and the couch moved (probably toward my wife in the front passenger seat), only to be restrained by my daughter's midsection attached to the seatbelt.

Any ideas? I really want to dump this thing, but not at the risk of making traveling in the vehicle less safe.
x2 horrible sofa.... I just did a swap to house on a coach a couple months ago... on the bottom there is a bar with screw legs.... I removed the legs and lag bolted the sofa... I got a wall hugger..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	love seat 001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	87182   Click image for larger version

Name:	love seat 017.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	87183  

Click image for larger version

Name:	love seat 018.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	87184   Click image for larger version

Name:	love seat 010.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	87185  

Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #3

where I screw 'd up on that coach was it was on the slide... bout 3'' higher than the main floor... felt like you were in a barber chair
Old 02-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

I am thinking of removing my couch how does it attach to the floor.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked11272 View Post
I am thinking of removing my couch how does it attach to the floor.
usally little L brackets fold the bed part way out and you should see them
Old 02-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

Ok thanks I will take a look.

Tags
replace, replacement