Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #15

I had read / heard an opinion, that using a baited mouse trap as a deterrent is actually counter productive, as the bait will actually draw mice that would / may not have been drawn in otherwise. I have no facts one way or the other, just something to think about.....

I put a bag of Fresh Cab on top of each inside rear dual tire, and 2 bags in my engine compartment petty much all the time, camping or in storage (which luckily, is covered, and in middle of a large paved lot so that helps a lot). So far so good.

Regards

Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #16

Inside you use the yellow flag type snap traps with zero bait.

They are easy to set and with large target work well.

Thing to remember is they can not see to well and know they are low on food chain so by instinct they travel along walls and rarely cross open areas.

So on Amazon they sell the traps in bulk cheap.

Set them inside 99 degrees to walls with active end along wall.

In storage place long 2 X 4 on the ground on edge and place traps along the length.

Baited ones outside non baited ones inside.

Place a length away from rv with baited traps both sides near where you think they may come from.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #17

Tom Cat rat and mouse bait!
The blocks are easy to place in spots inaccessible to pets or children.
If you feel more comfortable with the bait in a pet or child proof container, one of our members designed a bait station from PVC pipe.
It consists of 3 12" sections of 2" PVC pipe, 1 "tee", 1 pipe cap, and a 12" length of 1/4 "all-thread + 3 nuts to hold the all-thread in place.
It's configured into a tee, with one leg pointing up. The pipe cap is drilled to accept the all-thread.
Permanently fasten one end of the all thread into the cap. Place the bait blocks over the all-thread, then install the bottom nut and washer.
Do not glue the cap onto the pipe, just push it onto the pipe with the bait blocks hanging down to where the bottom of the all-thread is almost touching the bottom.

This makes a self-feeding bait station that is pet and child proof, as the bait is 12" from any opening. Position this wherever you wish.

I hope I explained that members idea properly, and I really wish I could remember his name.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #18

I placed a cab fresh pack under my sink cabinet as well as a couple other locations. An ant trap was located a few inches away from the cab fresh pack under the sink. A rodent chewed up the ant trap. This does not give me much confidence in cab fresh. Do you have to hang the cab fresh pack or can you just lay it on the bottom of the cabinet as I did?

Jim
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
2007 VW EOS
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
First of all I checked every wire and pipe and anything else that comes up through the floor. I used spray foam to seal any opening no mater how small. We keep the coach clean and remove all food when not being used. Last but not least I bought one of those electronic rodent and mice repeller. Don't laugh, we have never had any mice or rodents in our motor home since we bought it 4 years ago. It has hardly been used for the past 2 years and has set and not been used for the last 11 months. We keep it plugged in all of the time, so the ultra sonic repeller is working except when traveling. I also used it in a 5th wheel and another motor home that we had for 8 years stored in a rural area. Never a rodent or mouse problem. YMMV.
Mel
Old 10-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #20

I too use the plug ins! Don't know if they work but have not seen a rodent since I plugged them in!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #21

d-CON pellets if you can still find them. Of course, you need to keep them away from where your pets and/or children may get into them.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
A 5 gallon bucket with about 2 to 3 inches of water in the bottom. Pop or beer can with a wire strung through it and suspended in the center of the bucket by wrapping it around the bale. Smear peanut butter on the can and put a ramp from the ground up to the can. Mice go up the ramp and jump onto can to get peanut butter can spins and mice fall into water and drown.
I have 3 of these outside my camper and I use antifreeze instead of water which can freeze. I don't think you want these inside because the peanut butter may attract mice into the camper.

Inside the camper, I have that cab fresh pouches.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpjp View Post
I placed a cab fresh pack under my sink cabinet as well as a couple other locations. An ant trap was located a few inches away from the cab fresh pack under the sink. A rodent chewed up the ant trap. This does not give me much confidence in cab fresh. Do you have to hang the cab fresh pack or can you just lay it on the bottom of the cabinet as I did?

Jim
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
2007 VW EOS
Jim,
I've always just laid packs of fresh cab under cabinets and throughout the rig, and have never had rodents. Bear in mind they lose effectiveness after 2 or 3 months and you have to buy new ones. Peppermint oil on cotton balls also helps. Depending on where you are and where your rig is parked you may need to try several deterrents
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #24

Napalm
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
As suggest in an earlier reply. Peppermint oil and cotton balls. We just throw some under the cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom and under the couch. Non toxic smells good and it's cheap. We had mice and not traps we used the peppermint oil and the mice left. We even set up a trap line in the living area and in the basement and caught none.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

As suggest in an earlier reply. Peppermint oil and cotton balls. We just throw some under the cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom and under the couch. Non toxic smells good and it's cheap.

X2!!! Always worked for me. I added the sound plugs-ins this year, but mainly because they had small night lights on them that I needed.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #27

Another one Fresh Cab.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used Fresh Cab successfully in my boat but it didn't work in the RV. I had eight packages in the boat (various compartments) and six or so in the RV. Keeping them in closed in spaces makes them more effective because the scent won't dissipate as quickly. I also still use traps and poison blocks. I am working on a device to keep them from climbing up the tires. It's the only way to get to the RV (and boat). If they can't climb the tires, they can't get inside. Provided there are no power cords or anything else leading to the ground they can climb up.