Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #29

'Tis the season-this thread reminded me to stop at Tractor Supply today during my travels and pick up some Fresh Cab. Lo and behold, 2 shelves empty! The nice woman up front told me they had more in back and had "Jimmy" bring some up. When he arrived at the register with the whole case she told him to not bother stocking the shelves just leave it at the register, as the whole case would be gone by evening!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
We tried Irish Spring They ATE IT.
They used dryer sheets for nesting material.

Frank
My experience was the same as yours, Frank.

They dragged Soap Bar and Dryer Sheet towards the valley of my trucks motor. Was adding the sheet for more nest material and it was probably 'Bringing Dinner Home'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11 Mice Problem 005.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	141431

Name:	2014-11 Mice Problem 006.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	141432

Name:	2014-11 Mice Problem 007.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	141433

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #31

What about the ground up hot pepper you get at the pizza place?

On the above engine maybe sprinkle some in that area to make it unpleasant to be there.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:07 PM   #32

Mouse deterent

I also attach a tea ball with moth balls in it to the end of an opened up metal clothes hanger and stick it down in the engine compartment, in addition to all of the methods above except the soap. There are several Tom Cat bait stations around the property, as well.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
What about the ground up hot pepper you get at the pizza place?

On the above engine maybe sprinkle some in that area to make it unpleasant to be there.
After the Irish Spring bars and Bounce Dryer sheets didn't work, I pressure washed all the rodent p** and dropping remnants out of the engine bay.

I tried peppermint oil on cottonb***s. I put one on eacn side of the engine bay and placed one on the inside of each tire so the rodents wouldn't be able to climb up the tires onto the front and rear axles and suspension.

Monthly, I re-apply the oil to the cottonb***s that I place in the tire locations.

As there is no rodent remnants anywhere in the engine bay, seems to be working for the past 2 years.

Rich

PS: I, also, place a cottonb*** at each ground contact point of the 5er, and, on each side of the rollup door and back door of the garage(because rodents were getting in there as well).

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #34
RVM1

Mouse deterent

We had a vacation spot in the north woods for over 20 years.
If your rig is in one spot for a long time, the meeces will get used to whatever you throw at them.
Trapping at the point of entry with peanut butter is effective, but only if you stop by regularly.
We now have baited traps in 2 bays. One meece in 5 years.
If meeces are in the environment around you, they will invade the environment you live in.....unless you move a lot!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 for Fresh Cab, Irish Spring & dryer shts. Also this year I'm trying galvanized wire screen under the tires. Read they do not like to cross it. Who knows?
Dan
Dan_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #36

I used Irish Original Soap, bars cut in half and put in most likely places for protection. I had no signs of mice anywhere,
Old 10-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #37

Many years ago, to protect our antique cars, we put an electric fence about 1" off the concrete floor all around the cars. Even if they dropped off the ceiling to the car tops, they would use the ground to exit. This was on a small farm so we had to clear out the remains frequently. :-)

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #38

Fresh Cab

We live full time in our motorhome and use Fresh Cab year round. You can purchase directly online (expensive), at Farm Supply stores or online, and now at Walmart Online.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #39

How to keep pack rats out from under the hood

Kinda related sunject, some places we camp we get pack rats, had some munching on my firewall insulation under the hood, had them between a friend's truck and camper.
We leave our hoods partially open, someone told us that keeps them away, apparently that doesn't work, so how can someone keep pack rats away?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Been using artificial tuff for years. Place it under the whole length of the rv. Mice do not like the ruffness on their feet. They will go under but will not walk on it. No mice or
rodent problem in 20 years.

problems in 20 years
Old 10-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #41

Moth Balls

The last ten years have been using moth balls all over top of engine
and no more droppings but they loved inside my Gen know matter what
I used.
Here in Florida are lots more Rats and as soon as cold weather comes they come inside my RV,been using Moth Balls and Irish spring so far OK but see what happens when it gets cooler.
I park in our community storage area and the boats stored there are complaining
of Rats and I just ordered some fresh Cab and will go to my RV at least once a week and run motor and Gen and maybe move around just to keep the rats alerted.
Be careful using killing bait and had a rat die in my car a few years ago,what a terrible smell and odor lasted for months.
Nick
Old 10-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #42

Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent used for years in my trailers, I get it at Rural King, kind of strong at first but calms down after a few weeks. Always work for me. I like in the country and after they pick the corn the mice are looking for somewhere to winter Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent keep them out. Cats take care of the mice outside but cats can't get in to the trailers or coach.