Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mouse or squirrel ate wires on refrigerator

We are taking the RV in to see if the serviceman can rewire the back outside area where squirrel or mouse ate all of the wires next week.

My question is, since the refrigerator is AC and DC power, and the
AC power is chewed off and disconnected, can we use the AC power inside the RV or the battery power of everything but the refrigerator? Is there a way to disconnect the DC power to the compartment so we can use DC power without causing any other problems? I'm sure all of you know this but it seems I get dumber the longer I own this RV.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
sure- unplug it
look in your 12 volt fuse box and pull the fuse
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The fridge use's 12v for control board so you can use the fridge on LP gas.
The 110 is only for the heating elements and you can just remove the electric plug in the outlet.
You can use fridge and everything else in your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Refrigerator wires Chewed off by mouse or squirrel

Thank you all. The wires to the control board are also chewed off. I assume that is the control board inside the black plastic cover. Wouldn't that mean I can't use gas, either, since it won't get DC power. Is the fuse for DC power inside that control box?. It states there are fuses inside. Would you know what the vent to the refrigerator looks like? Is it the round pipe? or the rectangular elevated gizmo on top of the roof over the fridge? Serviceman said the squirrel probably came in through the vent but the cover is still on the round one but there is a broken piece on the big rectangular one broken off I think it went in through the vents in the cover. Is there any method of putting a wire screen on those vent covers on the side of the RV?
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Rectangular cover is the Fridge vent. They usually have a wire screen inside. My side vents have a grid built into the frame.

I'm not very fond of squirrels/tree rodents... So far- my previous 90 motorhome, a huge nest on top of the air cleaner ( 460 engine) and ate wires off top of gas tank, and recently on the Landau, ate the tail light wiring.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator