Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 AM   #1

Seems like every once in a while someone mentions these critters getting into an RV and how to get of rid or stop them.

We have been fortunate not to have that problem and I feel for those who have a problems with mice, squirels, etc. Since we are selling our Winne and wanting to move up to a diesel, are there motohomes so constructed to virtually eliminate access and if so, what makers/models?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 AM   #2

Seems like every once in a while someone mentions these critters getting into an RV and how to get of rid or stop them.

We have been fortunate not to have that problem and I feel for those who have a problems with mice, squirels, etc. Since we are selling our Winne and wanting to move up to a diesel, are there motohomes so constructed to virtually eliminate access and if so, what makers/models?

Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
redeldo,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">virtually eliminate access </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't take much for a mouse to get access so I highly doubt it.

Unfortunately, I'm dealing with that problem now.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
The cure for mice is, open all doors to cabinets and closets, place a large bowl of water down on the kitchen floor. Now release 2 very hungry cats and close the door. In about a week the mice will have either retreated or became cat chow. The smell of the cats and mouse blood will keep the mice from returning.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #5

Bouce dryer sheets act as a wonderful mouse deterrant. I place them in the basement of the RV, stuff them into holes where mice can climb aboard (i.e. the 50 amp power cord), and when stored, put them into cupboards. Don't know how or why it works, but it does.

glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #6

Fighting to keep critters out of ANY RV is a constant battle of vigilance, preventative measures and consistant interior and exterior inspections! I keep at least one snap trap loaded, sitting on my generator at all times. I've caught mice in that trap even over weekend stays at various campgrounds.
I've got a bunch of mice stories and I've become quite good at "tracking," and traping them. However, the battle is constant! Now, besides the dryer sheets inside, the traps on tires, and genset, etc. I keep a poison bait box behind one of the rear tires. I cant' believe how much they eat that bait!!
Any time you want to hear a few good mouse stories, let me know! I've tried all kinds of traps. The only thing I do not recommend is Decon INSIDE your rig. Sure it'll wipe them out...but they end up going someplace to die inside your rig. The only problem with that is, until they begin to smell, you may never find them!!!!
Tagalong
Old 01-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #7

We got rid of them the old fashion way. We set out mouse traps. Caught 2 real quick and 1 a week later. Really don't like smart little mice.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #8

No such thing as a "mouse proof" anything short of a bank vault.

With all the super cold weather here I even had a pair of them set up housekeeing in my car glove compartment. I had a bunch of Kleenex tissues in there and they made a nice nest out of it. This is in a car I drive almost everyday too. I checked the other cars in the garage and so far mine was the only one. Snap traps with bacon took out two so far and I have not seen any further evidence of activity.

I had this happen in a truck several years ago where the critters put a nest in my heater ducts. When I turned on the fan a bunch of "stuff" came flying out of the inside vents. I took the heater ducts apart and found the ducts almost blocked with cloth strips, string, seat stuffing material and bird seed. This truck was also kept in a garage and driven every day.

Stay vigilent and keep some traps baited while camping. They live everywhere.

BTW...watch out for snakes sneaking into your wheelwells and engine areas while in "snake country". I had a nasty suprise or two from these...too bad the snakes could not be used to keep the mice out of the rig.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #9

SNAKES!!! Never thought about one of those getting in. If my DW found one of those that would be the end of the motorhome and probably me as I would be assigned the task of catching it.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think there's any RV that's mouse "proof". But you can mimize the entance areas. One area I've seen on a number of motorhomes is the dash heater on a diesel pusher. The mice can crawl up onto the genset and walk over to the open air intake behind the front cowl. Once in there they can navigate to the inside. A small piece of mesh over the intake eliminates that.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use good glue traps, the ones that are 4 inch by 8 inch and not those little cheap ones. The big ones also catch snakes. I put several in the basement where the sewer/water/electric comes in so I catch most when they try getting in. I also place several behind the cabnets. The glue traps last until they catch something and boy do they work.
Paul and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps Mickey had no intention of Rving when passing bye but could not resist the smell of a good meal. Unless I have evidence of mice I prefer to deter rather then bait. I also use the bounce sheets.