Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

mouse smell

What is the best way to get the smell of mouse out of my motorhome. Cleaned everything really good and everywhere but on hot days still has smell.
lostintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #2

Is that referring to mouse droppings, urine smell or dead mouse somewhere hidden?

Both situations are going to require accessing all the areas where the mice had been, then washing with strong detergent. Even following up with a rag soaked with vinegar then thoroughly drying with rags.

This is a disgusting fact, but mice and rats have no bladder control. They "piddle" constantly every place they walk.

Air freshness mask the smell but are no substitute for eliminating the source.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you have or can borrow a black light. Use of it will show mouse urine which will flouresce in the light. If it is a dead mouse you will have to try to locate it. Which may intail removing panels or duct work. Any good cleaner will take out the smell once you locate the source.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #4

Once you get the odor problem handled, now you need to look for ways to discourage mice. I think I can locate a cat for you. Our cat does not need to actually catch a mouse, he just needs to be around (sleeping, etc). Mice tend to avoid danger areas and look for safer habitats.

When we are parked at home with the RV unoccupied, we still put our car inside for an hour or so each day (with air conditioners running). He enters, makes a walk-around inspection, then goes into nap mode. Have never found any evidence of a mouse invasion in all the years he has been "on duty".
Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Once you get the odor problem handled, now you need to look for ways to discourage mice. I think I can locate a cat for you. Our cat does not need to actually catch a mouse, he just needs to be around (sleeping, etc). Mice tend to avoid danger areas and look for safer habitats.

When we are parked at home with the RV unoccupied, we still put our car inside for an hour or so each day (with air conditioners running). He enters, makes a walk-around inspection, then goes into nap mode. Have never found any evidence of a mouse invasion in all the years he has been "on duty".
Its funny-we had a little different experience while parked in Alaska a few years ago. Apparently Alaska mice are used to dodging bear or something, as our cat did not seem to be much of a deterrent

As I walked out into the living area one morning, I found what was left of a mouse laying on the floor of the coach, essentially a tail and leg. Sir Reginald (our cat) was looking very proud of himself.

Thought it was probably a stray that found its way in to its demise, as it had been very rainy and it was getting on Fall. Next morning, awoke to find the remains of what only can be described as a slaughter that occurred the night before.

At this point, thinking a "mouse highway" must have been established into our rig-off to the store for traps I go. Only one trap left at the hardware store as they inform me they can't keep them in stock. Apparently all the mice in Fairbanks had decided to go inside.

But I buy the one trap-set it-and go into competition with Sir Reginald. I could tell just by the way he looked at me that he thought this was a very unfair development! I do believe that he decided to go on strike at the very moment I brought the trap into the rig. But in my defense, he was certainly not acting as a deterrent. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced that he wasn't inviting them in after we retired for the evening. Final count--Sir Reginald 2 BigMikes mousetrap 5
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #6

Baking Soda kills odor. Years ago we had a mouse die in our motorhome, we looked everywhere but could not locate. It took over a month with the windows open for the smell to go away.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #7

Hello BigMike ...

Is see the problem. Too many mice, too few cats. <lol>
Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we tried one of the electric mousetraps actually worked really well and no worry about animals getting caught in it. (other than maps of course) I used to have a cat. died when he was around 18. I swear to god if he saw a mouse he would go up and show it where to get his food. I did see a rat in the house one time. It was stealing the cats food and taking it into a nest behind a book case and hiding it. The cat and I were sitting on the couch watching it make trips back and forth. I finally got disgusted and picked the cat up and threw it at the rat. The cat landed about 2 feet away from the rat and the rat just froze terrified. The cat looked at the rat walked over to his food dish got a couple of bites of food then walked past the rat again looked at it as he walked by and then the cat jumped back up in my lap and went to sleep. I realized then other means were necessary so I bought a live trap. I caught the rat and relocated it to a nice park 30 miles from my house on the other side of a major river. When I remodeled my kitchen I did some serious hole repair work with ceramic tiles to permanently cure that problem.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #9

The motor home sat in a field for 3 years and the mice had a hayday in it
Old 06-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
a an enzmye type of cleaner my help. also go to one of those places that do flood damage and fire damage and see if they have some to get rid of the odor
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Is that referring to mouse droppings, urine smell or dead mouse somewhere hidden?

Both situations are going to require accessing all the areas where the mice had been, then washing with strong detergent. Even following up with a rag soaked with vinegar then thoroughly drying with rags.

This is a disgusting fact, but mice and rats have no bladder control. They "piddle" constantly every place they walk.

Air freshness mask the smell but are no substitute for eliminating the source.
There was a lot of mouse droppings. I used fresh cab and all that were living are gone hopefully. Haven't seen one yet in my cleaning process
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fresh cab is good stuff. I use it in the stick built and in the mh. In the mh I put it under the slides near the cable runs etc. Also in the basement. No mice since then.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
field and stream had this tip for a very effective mouse trap. Use the Victor mouse trap with the copper metal tripplate. Use yarn to thread through the round barrel on the end tie a knot or two then cut the yarn just to the edge of the trap so it does not hang over. Then fray the ends of the yarn and put peanut butter on the frayed ends. Does not take much to get the smell on the yarn. set up up as per the directions on the traps. I swear I use this and it is quite effective. when the mice goes for the peanut butter the yarn gets stuck in there teeth and whamO pretty effective. Try it you'll see.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #14

Gets even the most famous mouse?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1667263561.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	41337  

Tags