Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Mouse trouble

We bought a used 2004 Fleetwood Discovery 39j last year and found a few mouse droppings under the couch but no other damage. A couple mice were trapped the first year storage. This year we've had quite a few. If i could find the spot where they're getting in it would make it easier to keep them out. Any ideas or tricks that I can try to solve the problem? No damage, it's just the idea of the little critters getting in.

slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mice can get into an opening as small as a 1/4 inch. You have to look everywhere an either use steel wool or better yet expanding foam to close up the spaces.
Everything from dryer sheets to moth balls to make it unpleasant have been tried, along with electric sound machines. Just keep at it an you'll find their entry point, Good luck

Rich & Judy
Toad- 2015 FORD EDGE
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Always damage. Hantavirus is always a risk. Besides the visible droppings there is the urination. Always a health risk.

I had some mice get in through the power cord opening. The trailer had the cord stored inside. You just pulled it out and plugged the end into the receptacle. I neglected to place the cover over the hole and the mice ran up the cord and into the trailer.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Well, you have to think like a mouse. Any opening bigger than 1/4" is sufficient for a mouse to get in, so forget trying to seal every hole. When we were still farming we had the same issues, until I parked our trailer wheels on 3/4" plywood and built a "box frame" of 8" -10" wide aluminum sheeting around the wheels and attached it to the plywood base and placed the jacks in 5 gal. pails. Mice can not climb smooth vertical surfaces. Just make sure they can not get in to the aluminum box surrounding the wheels and in to the pails and do not leave a power cord or water hose attached.
We never had an issue ever after, trust me it works.
If you want to catch them get a 5 gal. pail set up a ramp to the top of the pail and place bait (chocolate, peanut butter, cheese, bacon, nuts, beer) inside and keep a hungry feline on hand or release them somewhere far away .
Be careful with poison, you do not want dead mice stinking up your RV ever.
Happy hunting
2013 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch,2014 Trilogy 3650 RL, 8000# axles, disk brakes, I.S., 960 Watt Solar
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:22 AM   #5
Don't have my RV, yet, but I've learned a few things that might help.

Some RVers on this forum have posted about mouse-free, a peppermint oil based spray. That should work better as a prophylactic since mice really, really, really don't like the smell of that stuff and it will make the RV smell..well, better than chemicals.

I wouldn't bother with dryer sheets. I've tried dryer sheets for other pests and they just didn't work. I've even had the pests the sheets were supposed to ward off simply crawl across the fresh sheets. Plus, they tend to lose scent pretty quickly and with the number of access points, that's a lot of swapping a lot of sheets.

I would be careful with mothballs. Older mothballs use Napthlalene. The newer ones use 1,4-dichlorobenzene. Both are believed by the Department of Health and Human Services to be carcinogenic. Moreover, 1,4-dichlorobenzene is a neurotoxin, so having it disperse in the enclosed space of your motorhome isn't such a good idea.

Metal wool is a good option, but as another poster mentioned, copper wool is likely a better idea than steel wool because, basically, it rusts (oxidizes) slower. One thing I noticed is that the copper wool I find at Walmart is a lower gauge than the steel wool (meaning thicker wires), meaning it would might be harder to chew through. So between the longer life and potential to be a better barrier (I don't have any mice to conduct any chewing experiments to test my hypothesis), copper may be a better alternative.

Lastly, using a caulk or flexible foam where cords enter the coach is an EXCELLENT idea and is something I'm putting on my list of things to do. I can't imagine that the coach designers balanced the air intake, humidity or any other environmental level based on basically having open holes in the floor.

Hope this all helps. I know this is an issue I'll have to have 100% licked by the time we get our coach because the DW is 1000% anti-pest...which explains why I'll have to be on my best behavior when we do hit the road...
Mackeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
In most cases I've seen them climb the tires to gain access to the driveline and then they follow along looking for any place to get in. Baited traps or D-con on the rims generally catches them before they get in.
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
Moth balls did not work for me. I put some in my 54 chevy truck. I dumped a bunch out on the floor then just left the box in there open. When I checked it it the spring they chewed the moth ball box up and made a nest out of it in the head liner.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Peppermint oil, not the extract but Peppermint oil, it's expensive but seems to work. I take a spray paint can cover and put a cotton ball in it and put 2 or3 drops of oil on the ball. Place some in the basement and some up in the house part. Check on it and replemish once in a while. Makes the MH smell nice inside and you just air it out when you start camping. JMHO Jim
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
"Fresh Cab" works for me. Have been using it for several years. Available on ebay, RV stores, Tractor supply to mention a few. A stray cat roaming the area doesn't hurt.
Karl and Janet
Tiffin Zephyr 45QDZ
Owens-Classic Trailer, with elevator and air ride
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #10
To find the opening the mice are getting into- At night turn all the interior lights on in the coach. Crawl around outside and see if you can see light coming out of any exterior cracks. That might help identify openings.
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH
Full timers
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
don't use poison inside, found out the hard way as one died somewhere and stunk up our previous coach more than you can imagine. Could not find it, I think it was under the shower. Time took care of the odor but it was a long time. If you use poison outside, ensure no children/pets can get at it. We use several electronic sound pest devices in living area (probably snake oil but we use as nite lights, too) and in the basement of our coach several more electronic sound pest devices, but mostly boric acid powder (available at HD, Lowes) spread liberally around on the floor--same deal as folks who use cleansers containing boric acid, but cheaper and no detergent. We also spread it around in living area behind fridge, underneath sink, etc where pets cannot reach--we have no pets. Lastly, I hang four Shell no pest strips in basement and keep them current. Any edible items (canned goods) stored in basement are kept in plastic bins. We camp in places where there are lots of squirrels, chip monks and mice, as well as in our yard. We got into a stink bug infestation at Claytor Lake SP in SW Va. and liked to never get rid of them--I believe they got inside via roof heat pumps and were inside the ducts popping out more than a year later, but as for other bugs, mice, etc. so far, (4.5 yrs) so good. If you see stink bugs crawling around all over the place, move! Good luck!
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #12
Originally Posted by slate View Post
We bought a used 2004 Fleetwood Discovery 39j last year and found a few mouse droppings under the couch but no other damage. A couple mice were trapped the first year storage. This year we've had quite a few. If i could find the spot where they're getting in it would make it easier to keep them out. Any ideas or tricks that I can try to solve the problem? No damage, it's just the idea of the little critters getting in.
d-Con ......(see: FAQ - Mouse Trap & Bait Questions & General Inquiries - d-CON)

I place a few of the small "wedge packs" of d-Con mouse bait in my RV, hidden from view, (in storage compartments, under drawers etc,),
and have for 30+ years.
Occasionally I find "partially eaten" or "empty packs", but I have never found mouse droppings or dead mice, (nor have I ever smelled dead bodies).

BTW, I hate "meeces" to pieces!

'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
Just spread a lot of cheese around the camper. The mice will think it's a trap and won't come in. Works every time
Brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #14
I've always threatened to lay a sheet of aluminum or sheet metal over the top of the tires. They can climb right up the tires and get on the frame as someone else has mentioned. If the metal extends out past the tires a few inches like a roof they couldn't get off of the tires. My problem is that I store it where snow accumulates up along the sides of the wheels and grill and they can just use the snow to gain access.

Akcontender is offline   Reply With Quote