Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Move TV

We have just purchased a 2005 34H Bounder. It has two slideouts in the front and one slideout in the bedroom.The TV is mounted overhead between the Driver and Pasenger chairs. We would like to buy a flat screen and mount it on the back wall (next to the bathroom). It will have to be removed when we open and close the slideout. I am interested in the best way to route the coaxial cable from the front to that wall.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

That can be a pain but can be done. Your best why is to come down the a pillow and come down beside the frame rail to where you can get up in the wall. I would double check that where your going to mount the tv works before you take the time to run the cables. Good luck

Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yikes!

We have a 2006 34H (3 slides). If the 2005 has a sliding door like the 2006 does you're going to have a tough time finding a way to mount the TV to the wall. It's a very thin wall. Or are you planning on putting it on a table in that area?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Muddypaws,Yes, it is a thin wall and would not support much more than the mirror that is there. With the slidout out, there is a brace almost in the middle that I plan on placing a bracket to hang the TV. By the time I run cable and electricty, it may not be worth it. The front TV is the only thing that we have found that we would like to be different.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #5

Remove the old tv, get a small sheet of cabinet grade ply and construct a door for the space where the old tv was. Mount the new flat screen to the new plywood door, you can use iron on edging to keep the ply edges from showing, or glue wood edging if you want.

You can even reduce the old tv space to the same as the side cabinets then do the door thing, this gives you a neat space to mount the tv, and a little more storage space behind it.

Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #6

Just to let you know, we had our flat screen moved from the front to the wall between the living area and bathroom. Newmar cut an opening in the wall, framed it and installed cabinet doors in the bathroom for access to the rear of the TV. The TV is flush with the wall so the slide-out can be opened and closed without moving the TV. Newmar initially said it couldn't be done, but I took some measurements and drew up plans and they agreed it could be done. You might want to explore this as a possibility.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
is it worth the trouble?

I'm not afraid of tackling things like this but is this one really worth the trouble? I see several issues you're going to have to deal with:

If you mount a bracket on the wall is the wall strong enough to support it?

Even the thinnest bracket I've seen is thicker than the space between the wall & the slide.

The wall is thin. You might be able to counter-sink a LED TV into it but probably not. A normal LCD would be way too thick.

You won't be able to watch the TV with your slides in.

With the sliding bathroom door being on the other side you probably won't be able to put a door in the back for access to the connections.

Getting the antenna signal there is one issue, but getting the DVD & Sat might be more difficult and/or expensive.

Once you've done that what about the surround sound speakers. Easy enough to swap the front & the rears but what about the center?

Once you've done that you're going to have to remember to point the remote to where the DVD & Sat are located, i.e. away from the TV. But only sometimes!

I've read may times that LED & LCD TV's are not supposed to be laid flat for any length of time. But I have never read about one being damaged that way. I'd be more concerned about it sliding off the bed in transit.

Of course all of these things can be overcome with the proper application of time, effort, and cubic feet of money. But is it really worth all that trouble?

Is the basic issue seating while watching TV? I solved that by buying a 'European Recliner' that folds up (after I modified it) and travels under the booth table. The ottoman travels under the bedroom TV.

If you search in this forum on 'TV Install' and whatever variations of that you wish you'll find dozens of threads describing what myself and others have done to update the TV's in our rigs. And as you'll soon discover we are more than willing to offer advice, ideas, even physical help (I'm in Silicon Valley, CA). I've installed 6 updated TV's in RV's and probably the same in stick houses. It's not exactly rocket surgery but it does require some simple math, minor woodworking skills, and an understanding of what wire goes where.

Cheers,
Muddypaws
Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow! This was my first post on this board and the comments have been outstanding. I appreciate the input.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I tend to agree with Muddy.. I have a perfect place for a TV at the rear of the living area. There is a hutch there now with AC power. However, I took the old tube tv out of the overhead and did some woodwork to install an articulating bracket that holds a 32" LCD. It works perfectly as all elec. and satellite, DVD, OTA antenna are only inches away in the next compartment.

I could have pretty easily put it at the rear as I mentioned and used the existing elec. and a wireless HDMI sender receiver to get the HD audio/video from the front entertainment center where all is located. But, when the slide is in we could not see the TV as it would be blocked by the slide. This would have been on rare occasions so it wasn't the only reason.

I already have the wireless HDMI setup that I use at home between my main 46" LCD and entertainment center and a second office area where I have the 32" LCD that I carry out to the MH when we go camping. This is a great setup but I am more satisfied with the front TV setup in the MH. I did not have to use the wireless HDMI in the MH.

Our dining table is in the slide that would have been next to a rear TV setup and would have been more difficult to view TV from the table (too close and angle).

If you can take pictures we may be able to advise better. My first task was to remove the old TV period and see what I had to work with behind/around the space. For me, it worked out very well and the 32" LCD can be seen from anywhere in the front of the MH and from the bedroom too via the hallway. With the articulating arm, it can be swung in any direction and off to one side for access to one of the EC compartments. The 32" was much bigger in width than the old TV so it covers a little of both side EC compartments. I have tinted glass in those so the remotes can "see" through.

I could have done all this from the rear location with wireless HDMI, but I would have had to fill the hole from the old TV and the front was just a better location for us. I could still put it back there anytime by moving the bracket to the back wall. I have plenty of clearance with the slide so I would have put a piece of plywood on that wall and secured it well (could go thru wall with bolts to other side in bathroom) and then lag bolt the bracket to the plywood. Obviously, I did not go that route.

More info if you are interested.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Remove the old tv, get a small sheet of cabinet grade ply and construct a door for the space where the old tv was. Mount the new flat screen to the new plywood door, you can use iron on edging to keep the ply edges from showing, or glue wood edging if you want.

You can even reduce the old tv space to the same as the side cabinets then do the door thing, this gives you a neat space to mount the tv, and a little more storage space behind it.

Happy Trails
Jim
Uhhh... The OP wants to put a new TV on a completely different wall toward the back, not mount a thinner one in the same place.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote