Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dont forget that when you level, there is a very heavy load imposed by the jacks on either the pads or the ground. If you are not on a concrete pad, it is highly likely that your pads are getting pushed into the ground if it has rained or the ground was soft to begin with. I also have 12 inch square 2x12s covered by half inch plywood pads and they are prone to sinkage under load. You can re-level to correct but the pads may sink further under load. With soft ground, you really just have to live with it.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 04:19 AM   #16

You kids and your auto levelers ...

Back in my day we had to go outside in heavy rain and use hand crank jacks to level the class A RV in 3 feet of snow, uphill both ways

MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:47 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. As it turns out one of the levelers was not touching the ground. Once we put it down all was fine.
mlquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
I've noticed that movement can get worse if tires are off the ground also. Ours seems the most stable when we are in a site level enough to share the weight between the levelers and the tires.
It seems to me, and I may be wrong on this, that once you have all 4 jacks solidly "down" and each corner of the coach has been "lifted" even a 1/2 inch, that all the weight of the coach above the suspension is on the jacks, and the only weight on the tires is the "un-sprung" weight of the tires, wheels, suspension. (This of course would not apply to those with air leveling).

Other thoughts?
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
It seems to me, and I may be wrong on this, that once you have all 4 jacks solidly "down" and each corner of the coach has been "lifted" even a 1/2 inch, that all the weight of the coach above the suspension is on the jacks, and the only weight on the tires is the "un-sprung" weight of the tires, wheels, suspension. (This of course would not apply to those with air leveling).

Other thoughts?
In our case, I think when the tires leave the ground it allows a bit of side to side movement on the jacks that the tires tend to eliminate when they are in contact.
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our MH has air leveling only, so we expect to have a small amount of movement, but it's not objectionable!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ours is solid once it's level.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to all for the replys. One leveler was not touching the ground and once we put that down things were good. We keep learning little things every time we go out. 😜
mlquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #23

We have a Lippert Leveling system. The instructions say to not level with the tires off the ground. However, even on a level looking camp site, it often takes a front tire or both off the ground. We already blew a seal on one of the jacks. I spoke to a Lippert salesman at a RV show and he did his best to not answer my questions and to get rid of me before more people over heard our conversation. After leveling, if tires are off the ground, I lower it until they are touching. When I had a Bigfoot Leveling system on my 5er, it was never a problem. The Lippert jacks look inadequate to do the job. I believe they are rated at 12,000 lbs. each, but they sure don't look as if they have that rating.
BobandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlquilts View Post
Thanks to all for the replys. One leveler was not touching the ground and once we put that down things were good. We keep learning little things every time we go out. 😜
Great to hear the good news Thanks for the update!!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #25

Our manual states that after auto - level it does something to stabilize the coach but we do not think that part is working.

We think it is to move any jack not activated while leveling until movement is sensed but we just have not taken time to see.

Check your manual to see if yours has similar feature.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #26

these are nice

snap pad.com

They help a little.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling