RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 AM   #155

Need a cargo door for 2004 Alpine 38 ft it is the door that covers the septic/water.cable hook up

jim barrenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #156

FatChance where do you live where the sun comes up in the west? MonacoMan84 if your coach is liveable with the slides in that would help a bunch,for heating and snow accumulation.

luqutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqutus View Post
FatChance where do you live where the sun comes up in the west? MonacoMan84 if your coach is liveable with the slides in that would help a bunch,for heating and snow accumulation.
I haven't found that to be necessary, it is totally livable closed but I would miss the space. I'm not worried about thermal efficiency, I have a TON of heat and remember it's electric and I don't pay for electricity (it's included in my rent).

So I'm leaving it open!! Snow accumulation hasn't been much of an issue either, but I have a roof rack like setup rigged up when I need it.
MonacoMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqutus View Post
FatChance where do you live where the sun comes up in the west?
We are very close to Sedona, and as everyone knows, the psychic energy vortexes around there bend the space/time continuum.

Otherwise, refer to post #17...

Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMan84 View Post
I haven't found that to be necessary, it is totally livable closed but I would miss the space. I'm not worried about thermal efficiency, I have a TON of heat and remember it's electric and I don't pay for electricity (it's included in my rent).

So I'm leaving it open!! Snow accumulation hasn't been much of an issue either, but I have a roof rack like setup rigged up when I need it.
If I know a big snowstorm is coming, I try to remember to pull in the slides. I have a slide topper that is a combination topper and awning, and I've heard of the arms on these bending from the weight of snow. And I think that no slide topper is designed to have a huge amount of weight on it. So I pull the slides in for the duration of the snowfall--if I remember.

You're not moving, but I've had melt-refreeze cycles on the slide topper that turned it into an ice sheet that froze the topper to the top of the slide, and that was no fun to clear when it was time to leave.

When you first said you would have unlimited free electricity, I knew you wouldn't have a problem staying warm because I've done it with space heaters.

One thing I like about multiple space heaters when it's really cold is that they run pretty much constantly, which makes for a nice even heat. The propane furnace blasts super hot air for a bit, and then turns off, and it immediately feels drafty. I hate it.

Quote:
As far as the insulation of the house itself, no problems, the small drafts I do get around the slides help move in fresh air (probably why I don't have condensation).
But most RVs have plenty of drafts and air leaks. Maybe you have just the right amount.

I don't have condensation issues in Colorado, even though I never crack a vent or window when showering or cooking.

But in the Pacific Northwest, I do battle condensation a little bit--on the window frames and windshield, which can get quite wet. But it's still nothing like people who report condensation in cabinets and on walls. I have some high storage cabinets that are two feet deep, and I did make a point to not have boxes pushed up against the outside wall, just in case.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #160

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Hello Dan
Hope you are doing well after this chill.

Did you miss the heavy snow ?
Give us a report of your experience so far.

Spring to come soon we hope.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #161

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:

So after your first year of living aboard close to the snow belt.
Share your thoughts and experiences with us as many are looking to do the same in the future.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #162

My buddy spent Illinois winter in TT with slide. The foam board was going to waste alot he needed about 3' out of 4x8 sheet . we put down frame to ground an used pole barn siding in 12.' pieces . Insulated entire under floor with plastic wrapped comfortherm insulation 4" batts and 1x2s wedged here and there only a few screws were needed to support all insulation.
The finished product was beutiful from the outside. It looked like an other planet outpost. Other campers had foam board .We put foam board on slide side walls and it's roof. The sewer pipe was done in PVC and industrial insulated pipe wrap. Did our own heat tape & wrapped water hose. He only had a couple pipes freeze near tub , removed access panel let heat in fixed it. Not sure if local propane co. was hosing him ,but it was cheaper to run electric oil filled radiators.
People use billboard vinyl to skirt their MH campers. Foam board will only insulate so long, until frost creeps under.
There is a thread hidden in
class A stickies in winterize sticky on winter camping good info.

153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter