RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
The highest sales tax we have come across in our travels.

Obviously states have to get their money somewhere and Iíd prefer a little higher sales tax like in TN vs other states that have very high property taxes, income tax, etc etc. You can control the sales tax to a point because you can control what/where you buy things. But if your property taxes go up up up, thereís nothing you can do about that.

repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 11:41 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Moving to East Tennessee ..... need advice

We lived in Crossville up on the Cumberland Plateau. East of Knoxville, less humidity because itís a little higher in altitude. Small town, beautiful area. Hour to Knoxville, 1 1/2 hours to Nashville. Highway 40 runs right past it! $70 to register RV and car! We loved it there! Have a good friend selling property there. PM me and Iíll give you his info! Winters are very mild!

Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:16 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Yes I'm biased towards N GA as the cost of living is very low and with half of Union County owned by the USFS, overcrowding will not be a problem. Land prices are reasonable as are property taxes but it varies by county...Union County is always 1 or 2 of the lowest. If you are 65, GA has exempted $65K/person from the 6% GA income tax. I think you'll find the following link useful as it makes GA on par with TN for a place to live if you are 62 ($36K/person increases to $65K at 65):
States to Consider for Domicile or Actual Residence for Home Base?

You no longer pay an annual property tax on vehicles BUT you will have to pay 6.7% (one time) on any vehicle you bring into GA or buy in GA. My MH tag cost $20 plus a heavy vehicle (26K+) of $100.
My wife can drive our 45' Navigator with her (recently renewed) normal class C GA licence.
We snowbird for 3 months in SE Fla where I grew up.
We snowbird for 3 months in SE Fla where I grew up.

PS: I'm currently selling some of the best property I've ever owned and you do not need 20 acres to be protected.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Exact same circumstances, our dream is to move to "The Gardens", a motorhome community in Crossville, half way between Knoxville and Nashville: https://gardensrvvillage.com/
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Exact same circumstances, our dream is to move to "The Gardens", a motorhome community in Crossville, half way between Knoxville and Nashville: https://gardensrvvillage.com/

Looks like itís a retirement community? I donít think Iíd be allowed there.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Exact same circumstances, our dream is to move to "The Gardens", a motorhome community in Crossville,
Be very VERY careful with this and understand/research actual costs, construction, etc. Don't just listen to the current residents, talk to local banks, etc. Due diligence is your friend.

The Gardens build prices are out of line (significantly) with the area for what you get. Lot prices, too. They sure do a great job with the marketing, though.

We fell for "the magic" initially, and spent 2 frustrating years with their so-called "designer". Red flags showed up everywhere regarding cost. We had to do all the legwork to find out real cost (their allowances are woefully insufficient, we and many others discovered actual cost would run about 50% over what they quoted). Seriously. We had to price lot prep, flatwork, flooring, cabinets, windows, siding, plumbing, lighting, etc. to understand what it would really cost to build there. We finally gave up and resold our lot (BTW, in most cases you are beholden to The Gardens realty office to resell, at a much higher commission rate than normal).

We did still like the small town atmosphere of Crossville and the weather here. We built with another, very well-regarded builder in the area, on a small acreage lot. We got a professional design, more house, more land, better RV garage, much better materials inside and out. And no cost surprises anywhere along the line.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
We did still like the small town atmosphere of Crossville and the weather here. We built with another, very well-regarded builder in the area, on a small acreage lot. We got a professional design, more house, more land, better RV garage, much better materials inside and out. And no cost surprises anywhere along the line.

Well my wife and I are no where near our 60s so the retirement community wonít work. PLUS I could tell places like that were praying on older people (sorry but itís true). They look like boring/regular houses that have an RV garage. Probably have crazy high HOA fees in there too. We donít want HOA. We donít mind being in a small (10 homes or less) little neighborhood with covenants, but HOA, no thanks

Have any pics of your place and how you did your RV garage?
Old 07-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Totally different part of the country youíre asking about... but Albuquerque is a great alternative to consider. Great weather, low prices near all the best RVing locations. Not too hot in the Summer and not too cold or snowy in the Winter. Check it out.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Totally different part of the country youíre asking about... but Albuquerque is a great alternative to consider. Great weather, low prices near all the best RVing locations. Not too hot in the Summer and not too cold or snowy in the Winter. Check it out.

We have talked about going west. AZ, NV, etc. Honestly didnít consider or even look at NM. We are definitely looking for much better winters than MD, and donít want 100deg everyday in summer.

Itís a big state. Is ABQ the best place for weather there or ....?
Old 07-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolracer2 View Post
Well my wife and I are no where near our 60s so the retirement community wonít work. PLUS I could tell places like that were praying on older people (sorry but itís true). They look like boring/regular houses that have an RV garage.

Have any pics of your place and how you did your RV garage?
They are actually mostly duplexes with a common wall between the RV garages, although those common walls do not have firebreaks. 4:12 pitch roof, vinyl sided. No exceptions. They've done some pretty fugly ones of late.

I don't have any pics handy, but if you visit Zurich Homes' Instagram you'll see a couple of exterior shots just before completion (and no, we're not in FFG).
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:52 PM   #25

We have friends that live in the Gardens in Crossville and they love it. They got in before the pricing went wacky. We lived in the Tri-Cities , Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol and have relatives that live in Knoxville. All are really nice places. A little farther south is Blairsville, Delonaga, and Winder GA. and all are beautiful as well. Florida does get hot but you might want to check out the panhandle Destin, Fort Walton Beach area as well.As mentioned due diligent s to determine which area is best for you.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolracer2 View Post
Itís a big state. Is ABQ the best place for weather there or ....?
ABQ is high enough in altitude to pleasant much of the summer but not so high that it's super cold and snowy in the Winter. Plus Spring and Fall are very nice weather most of the time.

It is "high desert" not much grass and about 5,000 feet above sealevel.

It's dry there with little humidity except for mid-summer during a rainy season they call the "monsoon season." This lasts a few weeks.

South of ABQ gets too hot and north of ABQ is even higher altitude and sees more cold and snow. Plus, ABQ has a big airport and is on two major interstates (I-25 and I-40)

Housing prices are reasonable in ABQ and groceries, gas, etc are pretty well priced, too.

It is different culturally you should be aware.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:54 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB1988 View Post
We have friends that live in the Gardens in Crossville and they love it. They got in before the pricing went wacky. We lived in the Tri-Cities , Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol and have relatives that live in Knoxville. All are really nice places. A little farther south is Blairsville, Delonaga, and Winder GA. and all are beautiful as well. Florida does get hot but you might want to check out the panhandle Destin, Fort Walton Beach area as well.As mentioned due diligent s to determine which area is best for you.
Yea, I beginning to see the big pictures now. When we first visited and fell in love with The Gardens years ago, their prices wete "normal." However, I'm now seeing that their prices have DOUBLED or even more since the. Yikes!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:47 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Just visited the Gardens a couple of months ago. Nice community but:
1. New lots are in an open field and flat with NO trees at all.
2. Prices are crazy high and not worth it. You could build the same home for 1/2 the cost elsewhere.

momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice