RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
The highest sales tax we have come across in our travels.
Guess you have not been to Louisiana? 10% is the norm with some places like Lake Charles being even higher.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #30

The only thing I don't like about Knoxville is when I'm coming into the city on I-75 from the north in my RV - the grades are brutal.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The highest sales tax we have come across in our travels.

Yes, the sales tax is high but I don't spend nearly what I make and shop via the internet as much as possible.

But when you take into account that there is
No income tax
Relatively low property taxes
Minimal cost to register vehicles and motorhomes are the same as a car, costs me $75/ year to register

It's all relative I guess.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Yea, I beginning to see the big pictures now. When we first visited and fell in love with The Gardens years ago, their prices wete "normal." However, I'm now seeing that their prices have DOUBLED or even more since the. Yikes!
Yeah, and that's just the price they tell you or publish on their outdated info sheets.

It was originally intended (back in the 90's and early 2000's) to be an affordable homebase for RVers who spent a lot of time on the road. When the developer changed (the original passed away) and the marketing kicked into high gear, that concept changed. There is even an "us vs. them" attitude developing between the new section and the original.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:48 AM   #33

We are now in Eastern Tn. half way between Knoxville and Chattanooga. Thirty five years in NH (beautiful State) got tired of -40 winters. Lived in St Petersburg Fl. Got tired of bumper to bumper traffic, 93 degree heat for three to four months and 98 % humidity. NO MAS! Land prices are far less than many other areas of Tn. We want a minimum of 20 acres (Green belt requires 15 acres) The sales tax is offset by the low cost of other taxable issues. I can handle a few 20 degree days over night and 50-70 degree days and maybe 1 or 2 inches of the white stuff. Ice storms, maybe 1 or 2 a winter are a different matter I have a son in northern Ga. which has similar weather. Just stay home!
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:27 AM   #34

You should look into The Gardens, a unique RV owners subdivision near Crossville, Tn
Gzn9hh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzn9hh View Post
You should look into The Gardens, a unique RV owners subdivision near Crossville, Tn
See previous discussion in this thread about that - way overpriced.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
See previous discussion in this thread about that - way overpriced.

I did go the the Gardens website just to see what they had. Since these are custom houses with RV garage they may not be that out of line. I've just built a new house and did as much of the work as I could and it still cost a small fortune. I am planning on building an RV garage but that will just add to the costs which is not that much out of line with similar houses listed on the website. High $$$ but you get what you pay for.

The current housing market is crazy. A friend of mine had been looking and houses off an on for a year, when they would inquire out a house they were finding they were selling within hours. He ultimately bought one, went to the open house 2 hours after it started and was bidding on the house against 2 other couples, ultimately paying $10K more then the asking price. It's a nice house but a lot more $$$ then I would have thought it was worth but that is what the current market will bear.
So if you are looking at one of these houses in this type of community be prepared to pay for it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I did go the the Gardens website just to see what they had. Since these are custom houses with RV garage they may not be that out of line.

So if you are looking at one of these houses in this type of community be prepared to pay for it.
Actually, even the banks here will tell you they cannot get the appraisals to work out (not even close) on new construction at The Gardens. Calling them custom homes is a bit of a stretch given the assumptions as to what that means, design and finish-wise.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #38

I live (and have recently retired) a 40-minute drive from Chattanooga on Sand Mountain in NE Alabama. Sand Mountain runs parallel to Lookout Mountain with I59 running down the valley between the two. You can find affordable acreage on either mountain if you are willing to be a few miles away from Chattanooga. A lot of new growth in Chattanooga is east, toward Cleveland, and again, if you move out in the country just a little I suspect land is very affordable.

Pro’s of the area: lots of outdoor opportunities from hiking to boating and swimming, close to several state parks and national forests and campgrounds. Just a lot of great outdoor things to do. Chattanooga offers decent cultural activities and opportunities though I’m not into that and so am not a good judge or source of information on such. Good medical providers here (with possible exception of limited good neurologists and Psychiatrists) and within two hours of great medicine (and shopping) in Nashville, Birmingham, or Atlanta. Excellent private college opportunities. Good economy. Less than two-hour drive to Smokies.

Possible Con’s: humidity is severe in the summer months. Interstate traffic through Chattanooga is a problem. Interstates from four major areas all intersect into 3 lanes to get through Chattanooga. Some work arounds exist for locals who drive it every day.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaone View Post
Watch out for very high sales taxes in TN.
Really? TN is 7% and Iowa is 6% plus Iowa has another 6-7% income tax.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Really? TN is 7% and Iowa is 6% plus Iowa has another 6-7% income tax.
Here in the Knoxville area it is 9.7%...crazy
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #41

Moving to East Tennessee ..... need advice

Quote:

Fortunately the the Iowa income tax is very progressive and the higher rate doesnít kick in for most people. I now live in North Carolina itís 5 something % flat rate hits me much harder. It is just very hard to compare taxes from state to state.
iowaone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #42

Quote:
The TN state sales tax is 7% according to state law. You may have some city or county taxes added in your area. Not everybody does. Those local taxes are limited to purchases below about $1,000 and don't apply to things like vehicle purchases. Even 9.7% is better than 6% plus a 7% income tax. That comes out to 13%.

hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice