RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Moving to East Tennessee ..... need advice

We live in Maryland and want to escape the winters and cold weather here. One of the major reasons why we bought our coach. Go south for winters. That has worked fine, but our ‘homebase’ with RV garage, etc is still in MD. And we’d prefer to think long term and be in a place that doesn’t have as cold of winters.

So we thought of looking in Florida, because we love Florida. But the miserable heat in Florida hurts the appeal of living there all year. I know it gets hot and humid in GA, TN even Maryland. Lots of places are hot, But it’s not as miserable for as long as Florida is. So we’re thinking TN bc many people suggested it that we’ve met along the way. There’s no state tax, no special rv license, and land/property isn’t as expensive as where we live now. We are no where near retirement age and have to think about good areas to raise little kids, etc. I think east TN would probably be best location-wise.

Chattanooga area looks good. Was wondering if anyone can shed light on areas to stay away from and what areas are the most affluent, etc. Thanks in advance.

We’d prefer to buy land and build a house. We’d like some acreage (20acre minimum). But not too far from civilization. Signal mountain maybe?

Or is Knoxville area better?

repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolracer2 View Post
We live in Maryland and want to escape the winters and cold weather here. One of the major reasons why we bought our coach. Go south for winters. That has worked fine, but our ‘homebase’ with RV garage, etc is still in MD. And we’d prefer to think long term and be in a place that doesn’t have as cold of winters.

So we thought of looking in Florida, because we love Florida. But the miserable heat in Florida hurts the appeal of living there all year. I know it gets hot and humid in GA, TN even Maryland. Lots of places are hot, But it’s not as miserable for as long as Florida is. So we’re thinking TN bc many people suggested it that we’ve met along the way. There’s no state tax, no special rv license, and land/property isn’t as expensive as where we live now. We are no where near retirement age and have to think about good areas to raise little kids, etc. I think east TN would probably be best location-wise.

Chattanooga area looks good. Was wondering if anyone can shed light on areas to stay away from and what areas are the most affluent, etc. Thanks in advance.

We’d prefer to buy land and build a house. We’d like some acreage (20acre minimum). But not too far from civilization. Signal mountain maybe?

Or is Knoxville area better?
Lived in both Cities you mentioned several years back in the 80's and 90's. Both have very nice neighborhoods then and still do per our visits. Both have some slums as well with Chattanooga having more perhaps. Knoxville is pretty lively due to the Colleges.

Many small towns out in between. I think if you took your time you could find a very nice place and at a decent price. the key is go there and spend some time, like months to find just what area you really like.

I enjoyed the years spent there and all the great people that I crossed paths with. I helped start up a Paper Mill in Knoxville and later moved South for business.

Again it is a great area of the country but you need to know it first before buying.

Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

Johnson City area is nice. We are a few miles north. Really nice views of the real mountains can be found. Weather, prices, etc, all nice.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

My opinion. You’re not going far enough south to avoid winter in TN. Yes, it will be less than in MD but you’ll still have “winter”. We left the snow-belt of Ohio for NC between Greensboro and Durham. We still had winter and cold weather to deal with. The problem is while you can handle it, they cannot.

We now call St. Pete, FL home. Yes, you get nasty heat but that’s when you go back North into the summer in the RV. 3-4 months of “hot” weather beats 6-8 of crappy weather all day long.

Note: My mother lives in Dandridge, near Knoxville, so it’s not like I’m just speaking of our experience. I know that she still deals with winter weather and would like to avoid it. Her husband mentioned to me that they were thinking of finding a place to snowbird to to get out of the cold.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #5

Watch out for very high sales taxes in TN.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We now call St. Pete, FL home. Yes, you get nasty heat but that’s when you go back North into the summer in the RV. 3-4 months of “hot” weather beats 6-8 of crappy weather all day long.

Fair enough. We’ve been looking at Florida for a while now. Plus we have family there too. Hard to get any amount of land there. And there’s damn sinkholes everywhere popping up. More and more everyday :(
repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I live about 25 miles east on Knoxville. Once you get out of the city limits and Knox County property prices drop. There are still tracts of land available for a reasonable price.

I moved here 38 years ago and just built a new house so I guess I'm staying. Originally from Northern Wisconsin the winters in E TN don't bother me.

It can get hot in the summer, July & Aug will be in the low 90's.

All in all it ain't a bab place to live.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
vwd

I lived in Knoxville from 1972 to 1988 and Chattanooga from 88 to 2008 when we retired and took off in the motor home. Ended up in central Florida. I really think Tennessee is a great place to live. I prefer Knoxville because of the nice lakes and proximity to the mountains. In Knoxville most development is to the west, so more land is available in the other directions. Chattanooga is more outdoors oriented and their development is more to the east. But once you get past the development you are in the country again. Chattanooga is very big on private schools if that interests you.
vwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
And no state tax!
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We retired to Knoxville 6 years ago and no regrets. Florida was our first choice but the heat, humidity, and traffic chased us away. There really isn’t much winter. We get an occasional freeze and some snow that never lasts. You also will get temps in the 60s and 70s on occasion. We’ve changed our thinking and head to a cooler climate for two months in the summer and try to get somewhere warm for at least one month in the winter. We also enjoy all the lakes and the Smokies.

Knoxville has some very good schools, Tennessee University, and great medical care that goes with having a medical school in town. I75 and I40 pass through town so it’s easy to jump in the rv and head anywhere.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
And no state tax!
We have lived in the Chattanooga area for the last 40 years (35 in Hixson and the last 5 in Soddy Daisy). The Chattanooga area is pretty spread out with most of the growth occurring in the Ooltewah and Soddy Daisy areas. The taxes are relatively low, no state income tax (with the exception of a small tax on investment income which is being phased out), low property tax, and vehicle registration fees of around $30/year including Motorhomes and RVs. Sales tax is 9.25% in our area. Electric rates are below average at .10/kWh and gas prices are among the lowest in the country. It does get hot and humid in the summer months but winters are relatively mild with occasional temperatures into the low teens. Snowfall has become really rare most years with the recent climate change. Traffic is relatively low and the bigger cities of Nashville and Atlanta are only a 2 hour drive away. The Smoky mountains are also a 2 hour drive and many outdoor activities are available close by on the area TVA lakes of Chickamauga, Nickajack, and Watts Bar. Great hiking is available just outside Chattanooga on the Cumberland Trail. We love living where we do and decided to stay after retiring. Hope this helps.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I grew up in Cleveland TN, about 30 miles northeast of Chattanooga. Take a look there, it is really nice, relatively inexpensive. I lived 10 years in Knoxville and would also recommend it, particularly when you get a few miles outside town. Lots of stuff associated with UT.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 07-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Moving to East Tennessee ..... need advice

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant no state income tax thanks for clarifying that bikinjim! Tennessee is sounding attractive to me too.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaone View Post
Watch out for very high sales taxes in TN.
The highest sales tax we have come across in our travels.

momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice