Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #29

now now i think by the advice you are getting may bring second thoughts..don't take it all serious as i'm sure you have made all the right decisions so far for you and family...nobody is going to be out to get you unless you really make em mad.. make you'r coach decision on what you can afford and Want not others making it for you.. you will be fine..and im sure non of the advice was to scare you or make you think unless you do what they say you will burn in ssssss

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think anyone was trying to scare him at all, just pointing out some issues that should be clarified BEFORE it's too late. My city also will allow parking (and even that has restrictions), but disallows living in an RV, for any length of time. Period. In fact, even an electrical hookup for more than 24 hours is prohibited. Many cities (if not most) will be similar, and it only takes one PO'd person to alert the code enforcement, forcing you into Plan B. If it is in an unincorporated county area rather than a city, rules may be more lax, but still need to be investigated and documented in writing.

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you, but definitely don't assume anything based on what the neighbors are saying or doing.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
now now i think by the advice you are getting may bring second thoughts..don't take it all serious as i'm sure you have made all the right decisions so far for you and family...nobody is going to be out to get you unless you really make em mad.. make you'r coach decision on what you can afford and Want not others making it for you.. you will be fine..and im sure non of the advice was to scare you or make you think unless you do what they say you will burn in ssssss
This is something that does need to be addressed. It would not turn out well if the OP went through all the trouble then found that his locale had an ordinance prohibiting living in the MH.

Heck, we live on two acres in a small rural type town that has this ordinance. Parking the MH fine but it can't be lived in. Don't remember the wording but it amounts to this, "one inhabited dwelling per owned residential property".
Old 10-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #32

If you are not going to move the RV very much, then purchase a trailer or fifth wheel and not a motorized RV. Engines like to be exercised.

I would go to the city offices and get the zoning laws for that area and any recorded CC&Rs. Then you will know what is allowed.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
FYI - Do Not assume that it is legal to LIVE IN an RV just because it may be legal to park/store one there. Our local City Law allows parking, but outlaws living.
Our POA bans living in an RV on the property even though you can park one there. Better safe than sorry. BTW, we love our Challenger KT. The floorplan works great for us. Thor has its share of quality build issues, but not sure that other "affordable" manufacturers don't also. Heck, I don't even know if Newell and Prevost come problem free.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #34

If you look closely at the Thor coach and then the Winnebago you will see that the Winnebago is a much higher quality coach. I recently bought a new to us coach at Lazy Days in Florida (largest single location RV dealer in the US) and asked several of their techs what coach they would buy. Consensus was Tiffin or Winnebago.
Safritts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:27 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moving to Mom's.. living in RV

We parked a 37 foot DP with one slide on a slab we poured at the side of our house for 10 years. Then we parked a 39 foot gasser with three slides and residential fridge.for two years. Had a 50 amp RV outlet installed and used a "Sewer Solution" for dumping into the clean out. No one officially lived in them but I found the bed and recliner in our current rig superior sleeping platforms for my arthritis and spent many nights in it.

We worried about code enforcement in the early years even though half of the properties in our development had RVs or boats parked in violation of city ordinances. A few years back ordinances were changed and we became "legal." Now the RV or boat only has to be off of the street and fit in your drive without blocking the sidewalk or be hidden from sight with a six foot gate.

FMCA, Good Sam and Escapees all have effective parking rights programs. Check with one or all about your town and also check local laws on your city's website. We now part-time seven months a year in our Winnebago 38Q. Sold the house with the RV slab.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #36

The following is the Oceanside, CA ordinance for RVs, which is where the OP is living.

Campers, RVs, Trailers & Other Recreational Vehicles
You may not live in any parked vehicle or trailer on your property, any vacant site or a street. Nor can you connect them to any electrical, gas or water system.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #37

You can also bet Oceanside has a few people on staff who's job it is to drive around citing people for code violations.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #38

I believe Oceanside has a n exception that allows you to live on the property in a trailer or motorhome while you are doing construction. Might look into getting a building permit to do"modifications" to your Mom's house if the property is not zoned for multiple dwellings. Code enforcement in Oceanside can be hit or miss. Look at the trash in the alleys between Coast Hwy and Tremont St.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:45 AM   #39

Just imagine every home in every neighborhood having an RV, with another family living in it. Few extra cars, more kids in school, overloaded utilities.....

Oh wait, that's happening now !!!