Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
We did a 2 month trip in our 36' diesel Class C pulling a full size Expedition. Did not have trouble getting into any spots we encountered. As we got more experienced, my wife and I were able to hook up and unhook in about the same 10 minutes as others.

Granted Class As have more room on the inside but my wife feels more comfortable driving the Class C and service is much easier. I wanted a diesel and our rig was the only heavy duty unit I could find which did not require a Class B license. Even though I have a Class A license, no one else wanted to go through the testing requirements. Also allows the right friends to drive when we take guy trips.

We average about 9.5-10mpg when not towing and just over 9 towing.
Here we are boondocking just outside Ft. Stanton, NM.
Attachment 207414
Very nice Rig, thanks for the intel, much appreciated WC
Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #30

Thanks Rockford, I appreciate it.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #31

We moved from a 2000 28' Class "C" to a 2014 32" Class "A" last May.
Since then, we have found the "A" to be somewhat easier to handle, in that the larger wheels and wheel base give a much smoother ride and the visibility is spectacular.
I find I can drive longer with less fatigue.
Both the 28' and 32" have Ford's V-10, but the "A" is a bigger V-10.
I monitor the gas mileage regularly and both are within .5 mpg (10 mpg Imperial) which was a pleasant surprise. Even towing a motorcycle trailer doesn't affect the mileage.
Obviously, the addition living and storage space is a plus with the "A".
The extended length going from 28' to 32' has not caused any issues with maneuvering, but you do need to keep an eye when making turns.
We boondock at Chateau Walmart and Flying J's regularly and have not found 32" to be an issue, and in most cases, we only take up 2 parking spaces, while we watch the big rigs pull into places and leave when they can't get long enough spaces.
All in all, the move up for us has been 100% positive in terms of the size, amenities, comfort and cost of operation.
We also do not feel we need any additional length and expect to keep this RV for many years.
Good luck in your search for the perfect coach.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have enjoyed reading all of the responses. I always had fifth wheels and bumper pulls in the past. Last year was my first year in a diesel pusher, 38ft. I have enjoyed it and found this site a resource of assistance and knowledge. I can locate just about any subject and level of humor on this site. I always smile at some of the responses.
As for my $0.02 worth, I love the diesel pusher Class A. I would compare it to the 40 foot fifth that I had last. I have had my challenges with learning some of the new concerns. I do feel comfortable driving it since I do have a CDL anyway for operating a church bus. I love the amount of storage, and the level of comfort. Upkeep is a bit more, but it will be our retirement home here in 345 days. I have had a lot of short trips (100-300miles) so far to learn the ropes. We love the large windshield for the scenery, but I hate it when it rains. I find the maneuvering of it is not as bad as I thought it would be. If you think about it, my diesel truck with the fifth wheel was about 52 foot long, so it was a lot longer. I am conscious of the places I pull into for fuel and stops along our routes. I really don't know what we get for mileage, but I will say that if I slow down it goes way up. We are planning a trip to Alaska next year for my retirement, and then down the west coast to see my daughter in CA, my sister in NM and then to our retirement home in AL. I love the diesel pusher and the comforts it affords us.
I will be researching here to see what I need to learn about the hill climbing and descending (engine brake use).
Sober Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sober Rider View Post
Upkeep is a bit more, but it will be our retirement home here in 345 days.
We are planning a trip to Alaska next year for my retirement
Congrats on retirement. I retired last year and am also planning an Alaska trip in 2019. Just have to convince the wife. I did it in 2005 and she flew up for a week - only week of bad weather I had the entire trip.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have always wanted to go, but she is not a cold weather person. I just finnaly said "either you go with me or stay home and work till I get back" that is all it took
Sober Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
We moved from a 2000 28' Class "C" to a 2014 32" Class "A" last May.
Since then, we have found the "A" to be somewhat easier to handle, in that the larger wheels and wheel base give a much smoother ride and the visibility is spectacular.
I find I can drive longer with less fatigue.
Both the 28' and 32" have Ford's V-10, but the "A" is a bigger V-10.
I monitor the gas mileage regularly and both are within .5 mpg (10 mpg Imperial) which was a pleasant surprise. Even towing a motorcycle trailer doesn't affect the mileage.
Obviously, the addition living and storage space is a plus with the "A".
The extended length going from 28' to 32' has not caused any issues with maneuvering, but you do need to keep an eye when making turns.
We boondock at Chateau Walmart and Flying J's regularly and have not found 32" to be an issue, and in most cases, we only take up 2 parking spaces, while we watch the big rigs pull into places and leave when they can't get long enough spaces.
All in all, the move up for us has been 100% positive in terms of the size, amenities, comfort and cost of operation.
We also do not feel we need any additional length and expect to keep this RV for many years.
Good luck in your search for the perfect coach.
Great info thanks Much !!!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sober Rider View Post
I have enjoyed reading all of the responses. I always had fifth wheels and bumper pulls in the past. Last year was my first year in a diesel pusher, 38ft. I have enjoyed it and found this site a resource of assistance and knowledge. I can locate just about any subject and level of humor on this site. I always smile at some of the responses.
As for my $0.02 worth, I love the diesel pusher Class A. I would compare it to the 40 foot fifth that I had last. I have had my challenges with learning some of the new concerns. I do feel comfortable driving it since I do have a CDL anyway for operating a church bus. I love the amount of storage, and the level of comfort. Upkeep is a bit more, but it will be our retirement home here in 345 days. I have had a lot of short trips (100-300miles) so far to learn the ropes. We love the large windshield for the scenery, but I hate it when it rains. I find the maneuvering of it is not as bad as I thought it would be. If you think about it, my diesel truck with the fifth wheel was about 52 foot long, so it was a lot longer. I am conscious of the places I pull into for fuel and stops along our routes. I really don't know what we get for mileage, but I will say that if I slow down it goes way up. We are planning a trip to Alaska next year for my retirement, and then down the west coast to see my daughter in CA, my sister in NM and then to our retirement home in AL. I love the diesel pusher and the comforts it affords us.
I will be researching here to see what I need to learn about the hill climbing and descending (engine brake use).
Yes I will echo your thoughts, lots of helpful folks here. I had one person PM me regarding this thread, and we chatted on the phone. He was very helpful with lots of my questions..

Enjoy your trip to Alaska.

Tags
class c