Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Any ideas on which motorhome setup gets the best gas mileage?

redcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #2

Old 09-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Small and light gets the best fuel mileage. You looking for a class A, B or C?
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I get 8 without the Gear Vendor on - 10 to 11 with it on. Didn't know any such thing existed until I got my Itasca with it already installed. And I love it! I unloaded half the stuff in my RV - things I had carried around and never used. All I have with me now is a small grill, one bike, a few tools, two lounge chairs, outside lights, the chemicals necessary to maintain the exterior of a rig and a few pieces of fishing gear. Inside, it's just clothes, linens, books, the usual domestic necessities. So I'm hoping to get even better gas mileage.
GraciesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just completed a 22 day, 4,399 mile trip, using 407.562 gallons. Our GVW is 22K pounds but our actual traveling weight is around 19.5K. We have a 275hp Cummins ISB with a 5 speed Allison transmission and pull a 2,300lb Saturn toad. I suspect that we are in the top end of the mpg for MHs.

Within our results, is a drive the length of Illinos where we maintained 55mph - the speed limit for MHs there. It was over Labor Day weekend the there was significant police activity the entire distance. While doing that, I discovered that I can save almost 1 mpg traveling at 55mph versus the 63mph that I normaly use. 63mph gets significantly better mileage than if I try to go 70mph. It takes a lot of energy to push a big box down the road. The bigger and heavier the box and the faster you try to push it, the more energy it takes.

I've seen reports of 6-7mpg on the very big and heavy rigs. We were parked next to a 42', 58K pound Country Coach in Nashville and he said that he averaged 6.5mpg. A buddy of mine with a gas rig claims around 7.5mpg. Even with the differential cost of diesel fuel over gas, mine is cheaper to run than his, given the same trip for both.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome to the list!!!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ideas on which motorhome setup gets the best gas mileage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It really, really, really depends on what you want/need -- what you need the "motorhome setup" to do.

- A tiny rig with a very small engine would get better mileage than my 40' diesel, but it wouldn't do what I need my RV to do.
- My 40' diesel gets better mileage than a 40' gas rig would, but there are a lot of other factors involved too.
- Any motorhome without a heavy accelerator foot will get better mileage than a comparble motorhome WITH a heavy accelerator foot...
- On any rig, the less weight you carry the better, so don't take along anything you don't really need.

If you can provide more details as to what you are considering, and what you want/need a motorhome to do, you will likely get more useful answers.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #7
Finding a motorhome that gets good fuel mileage is like finding the cheapest fuel. Some are a little better but none are good.

full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
Smaller motor does not necessarily mean better fuel mileage, a motor running outside its peak power band can easily burn more fuel. The smaller motors also have to operate at a higher rpm when climbing hills, burning more fuel. If you travel mostly flat lands you will see an improvement in fuel economy, but hilly areas will cause constant downshifting killing fuel mileage.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #9
You might want to check into motor homes built on the Freightliner FRED (FRont Engine Diesel) chassis as they claim after, engine break-in 12mpg.

Damon has a new 31ft coach, the Avanti built on the Workhorse W16D chassis powered by a MaxxForce 5 200hp v6 diesel that puts out 440 lb ft of torque. It should do even better fuel mileage wise.

You can see information on the chassis here:

Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
I have a Class A DP with a 5.9L ISB and get a little over 10MPG towing my car. My MH is fairly light weighing about 20,000lb loaded. If you want to get more MPG look at a Winnebago View or a Class B on the Sprinter chassis. The View gets 16-18MPG and the Class B-Sprinter chassis gets 20-23MPG. Those who already own larger MHs tend to keep them and use them. If your are considering buying one your choices are difficult. At current fuel prices I am still comfortable at about 10MPG and would purchase a MH with that MPG.
Jim Walker
N Virginia
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 AM   #11
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redcab:
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>