Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #15

Our 2001 Adventurer Gas powered motorhome got 7.8 mpg towing either our Buick on a dolly or our Jeep Wrangler 4 down. The few times we didn't tow anything the mileage went up to 8.5 mpg.

However there's more to consider than mileage when deciding on whether or not to tow. First is as has been mentioned, the added convenience of having another vehicle available.
1. You don't have to pack up everything to go sight seeing or grocery shopping.
2. Almost any towed vehicle will get at least double the mileage of your motorhome.
3. Parking at points of interest is usually congested and not conducive to parking a motorhome.
4. Rental cars may not be readily available at some destinations, or may be a considerable distance away.
5. Many rental agencies are not open on holidays or weekends
6. Depending on the location rental car prices can be expensive.

When we first started RVing we tried renting cars. It wasn't a positive experience. When we went to Rocky Mountain National Park the nearest agency was over 80 miles away, and only open on weekdays.

Another time even though we had a reservation we waited the better part of a day because all the cars were out later than expected. Other times we had to take lesser vehicles than we had reserved.

All in all renting can be a major hassle. After less than a year of attempting it we bought a dolly to tow our own car. In the end the cost was well justified and the added convenience was more than paid for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #16

Have a trip coming up myself.
Calgary to Mesa about 3200 miles return first three weeks March.
About $650 for car rental Vegas and Mesa for the three week trip.
At 1 mile per gallon better without the dolly and Impala I am having a hard time deciding. It would be nice to go without the toad for the possible winter roads but to see only about hopefully a $200 full saving??

Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We really do not see any calcuable difference in mileage when pulling our car trailer and not. I do see a *slight* noticeable difference in quickness/*sportiness* with the RV on "getting up to speed" .. but really not all that much.

We tend to get about 6.5-7.5 MPG on our 2005 National RV Ford V10.

I have found that the biggest differentiators with mileage is:

- best mileage when we travel at 58-62 MPH
- we lose a bit of MPG when we're travelling in an area that has a lot of uphill roads

This is what we look like towing .. with the VW and the trailer, we're pulling just under 5,000 pounds.

Personally I see no reason NOT to bring the TOWD with us everywhere we go. In fact, the ONLY times we haven't pulled the trailer is when we have gone to Pocono Raceway for the race weekend. The track is less than 3 hours from home base and this, in the past, has typically just a long weekend trip to the race.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #18

We have an 8.1 gasser, 36' and tow a Wrangler. We normally get about 7.5mpg, depending on terrain it can get a little better. In the mountains, we have gotten as little as 5.8... and I don't push it.

Still...I can't imagine RVing without a toad. Can't address MPG without a toad, never done it.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #19

Mileage

I overheard a sales guy while at RV show a few weeks ago telling a prospective customer a new class A V10 would get 16 miles per gallon.
I proceeded to tell another salesperson for the same dealer that that guy was full of s t. She said I misheard the guy and told me 12 mpg was more realistic as she delivers them from factory to their dealership.
This type of sales tactic is bs and totally dishonest.
When will they learn??
Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I overheard a sales guy while at RV show a few weeks ago telling a prospective customer a new class A V10 would get 16 miles per gallon. I proceeded to tell another salesperson for the same dealer that that guy was full of s t. She said I misheard the guy and told me 12 mpg was more realistic as she delivers them from factory to their dealership. This type of sales tactic is bs and totally dishonest. When will they learn??
I had a V10 pickup and it got 15 on the very best of conditions, usually about 11! You can tell when an RV salesperson is lying, their mouth is moving...
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
6 mpg with the towd and 7 without. I almost always run the speed limit or atleast 67 mph in a 70. I once draged the Jeep over 2000 miles and only used it twice, 25 miles total. It sure is good security to know if something major happens to the coach, you can still drive home or to a hotel if need be.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #22

Too small to accurately calculate. Most say it is 1mpg or less. But the bottom line says "negligible".

If you get 9 w/o toad and 10 with, the difference over each 1000 miles at $3.50/gallon is about 38 bucks. So, NY to SFO is about $100.
:-)

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #23

2005 Fleetwood Southwind, 8.1 Chevy, flat towing a 1991 Dodge Dakota (2600# dry) and really don't notice much of a difference towing or not. Pretty much stays in the 7.8 to 8.0 mpg range @ 62 mph.

Update: I "was" towing the Dakota. The other night a non-attentive driver collided with my tail gate while I was stopped waiting to turn. He was going about 65 mph. What a surprise that was. Folded the Dakota frame. No one injured but my customized Dakota is permanently retired.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
2005 Fleetwood Southwind, 8.1 Chevy, flat towing a 1991 Dodge Dakota (2600# dry) and really don't notice much of a difference towing or not. Pretty much stays in the 7.8 to 8.0 mpg range @ 62 mph.

Update: I "was" towing the Dakota. The other night a non-attentive driver collided with my tail gate while I was stopped waiting to turn. He was going about 65 mph. What a surprise that was. Folded the Dakota frame. No one injured but my customized Dakota is permanently retired.

Sorry to hear that about your Dakota May it Rest in Peace.
I hear alot of people saying 6.5 -7.5 MPG but are you also running the Generator to cool off the MH? Also I'm in Oregon, and you can't go from one end of the coach to the other without going up a hill after coming to a stop. So maybe if I were to head accross country and drove less hills my mileage might be better.
For now I don't complain and neither should anyone else. If you want better fuel MPG then you should get rid of your MH and get I had. A 1Ton Ram truck(Diesel) with a 5th Wheel trailer. I was getting 10-12 MPG towing the 5th Wheel at all highway speeds and 17 around town and 24 on the highway not towing.
Yes I had better get up and go and it would pull a mountian pass like it wasn't even there. The only reason for getting a MH ws the convience of not having to stop to let the DW use the restroom and it gives her a better place to lay down and sleep during the drive. Oh yeah I forgot about the dog, he loves it also, bigger window to see out of
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
With our 2000 Allegra Ford V10 traveling over the same route, we got about 7.5 MPG without tow and 6.5 MPG towing. "Only" 1 MPH difference, but if you want to look at the numbers differently that is about a 14% decrease in fuel mileage (not towing vs. towing). As others have stated, no real difference towing with our DP. We do tow a vehicle (4 wheel on ground) most of the time.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #26

Quote:
I overheard a sales guy while at RV show a few weeks ago telling a prospective customer a new class A V10 would get 16 miles per gallon.
I proceeded to tell another salesperson for the same dealer that that guy was full of s t. She said I misheard the guy and told me 12 mpg was more realistic as she delivers them from factory to their dealership.
When will they learn??
We were told 14 mpg by our salescrook. I knew he was full of $#!+ but blew it off and bought the coach anyway since we got a heck of a trade in value. I have a Ram with Hemi and average around 12 mph around town and knew that it would be much less than that on the coach. We decided to write a review a couple days later when we realized that the whole experience with that dealer wasn't pleasant at all. I then receive a nasty gram from the salesman calling me a liar....could not believe it! He denied saying 14 and recommended that I get some hearing aids. He stated that he said 12 mpgs. Forwarded everything to the owner and he pretty much blew us off. What goes around comes around. I'm positive the review we posted on the dealer cost them a couple of sales.

We average ~8 mpgs if we keep it at 60. It drops exponentially as speed goes up. For whatever reason, I like how it rides at 70 mph. Feels tighter and don't have everyone and their dogs passing me.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #27

Quote:
When will they learn??
I talked to a Ford rep a couple years ago at GNR about the expected mileage of the latest generation V10s. I mentioned that I had heard reports of people getting over 10 mpg. He wouldn't commit to any mileage numbers, but did say "Anyone claiming double digit mileage should recheck their math".
Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #28

I think you will find that driving faster than 60mph or into a head wind or on hilly, mountain roads will affect your millage most. We have a 38' Workhorse gas MH and have gotten 5.2mpg (head wind) and as much as 8.6mpg (tail wind an a flat road). But we average about 7mpg just moving around from campground to campground.

Tags
toad