Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
MSRP and Trade-Ins

With a trade in would you still expect to get a 20%-30% discount on the MSRP of a new coach?

Thanks for the help.

2015 Newmar Canyon Star
Kinston, NC
Gauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely. I wouldn't talk to a dealer until I see 25-30% off Msrp. And only THEN would I bring up the trade.

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, we did on our present DSDP, got about 26% off list price.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you do it right, yes. Just like with automobile negotiations, settle on the price for what you're buying first. Then & only then, bring up the trade. They need to be 2 separate negotiations, otherwise the salesperson will do their hocus pocus & before you know it you're getting peanuts for your trade & giving them too much profit on your purchase.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
When trading in it doesn't matter what the discount is to me. The bottom line is to know the realistic value of our trade, and what price difference we are prepared to pay for that unit.

The bottom line difference is all that I care about. Doesn't matter how they try to work it the price difference is what you have to worry about.
Trap, Jan and the Pup
2013 Monaco Diplomat 43dft
2010 Black Jeep Liberty
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
Doing it that way will guarantee a low ball offer on the trade. What matters here is the difference. You are looking at a $250,000 rolling condo and expect $150,000 for your fifteen year old high mile cream puff. You get the salesman to drop his pants and knock 50g's off then bring up a trade. He squirms and finally offers 100 big ones, you say WHAT??? You are still out of pocket the same hunnert grand so what difference does it make what the numbers are? What you want to do is negotiate the lowest difference without having the door slammed in your face.
The dealer has bills to pay and kids to feed too, he can't expect to stay in business by being greedy but the customer needs to be reasonable too. I worked on commission in retail sales, if I sensed the customer viewed me as a licensed thief he/she got an offer that likely wouldn't be accepted, my business card and thanks for coming in. My time was too valuable for that.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Gauke View Post
With a trade in would you still expect to get a 20%-30% discount on the MSRP of a new coach?

Thanks for the help.
I think it would depend on the new coach. If it's "entry level", there's probably not as much wiggle room.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think there are so many variables a definite answer would be impossible. A friend who owns a dealership (auto) told me all customers want to buy at wholesale and sell (trade) at retail. Lots depends on how old his stock is, season, new models on order, flooring plan, factory love and the sale-ability of the trade in and if you are paying the difference in cash or allowing the dealer to arrange financing (they make money on that). In my experience, any "discount" is going to be shown by bumping up the trade in allowance of yours vs the MSRP on the new coach. So I think do alot of homework on what yours is selling for and it's wholesale value, the unit you are looking at and what they are selling for. Then decide if you are happy with the difference or not. There is always another deal around the corner. When we traded our Bounder against this coach, one dealer wasn't even interested, the other was pure MSRP to wholesale and the dealer we bought from all the tools fell into place on first visit and we bought. He had DISCO on his lot for 11mos, had no Bounders and couldn't get any for weeks, finally had at least 2 buyers for our unit.I worked for both of us as our Bounder was sold the next w'end when we picked up DISCO. So I guess I am in the Trap, Roy and Sarah corner.
Good luck!
Brian & Nicola
2013 Discovery 40E "DISCO"
TOAD 2014 Wrangler
MiG & Xeena(German Shepards)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
They will give you 50% off MSRP if you agree when they value your $100,000 motorhome you're trading in for $20,000.

Ya see, it's just a game of numbers.

know what your trade is worth-better yet sell it privately yourself , they have to make a profit selling yours, and they really don't want to buy used motorhomes.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Gee - I knew I could count on great wisdom coming from this group! You make a lot of sense. Thanks so much. Will keep all of this in mind as we continue our search and research.
2015 Newmar Canyon Star
Kinston, NC
Gauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
That's right it is all a numbers game, and like said before all that matters is the combined difference and how much more out of pocket money you need. But just remember once you get down to the bottom line it is well worth it to take less on your trade in and get a bigger discount on the new purchase because right off the bat you are saving an additional 10-15% on tax and license, which on a larger purchase adds up. So lets say they give you 50k less on the trade, but a 50K more discount on the purchase you will be saving approximately $7500 based on the tax/license in your respective area, in addition to whatever that bottom line was.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote