Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW View Post
I received a reply from Samsung on my query about operating the RF18H on a MSW inverter and he stated that Samsung does not recommend this and then went on to quote the power requirements from the spec sheet (115VAC/60 HZ, etc). This is not consistent with what GRWalker was told but it depends on who is fielding your question.

I noticed the spec sheet for this reefer says that it has a "digital inverter compressor". Can anyone explain this?
Here's an explanation:

The digital inverter compressor abandons the "on/off" approach in favor of an "always on" style of temperature management. That may sound like an inevitably large drain on your electricity, but it's actually not. The compressor in Samsung and Haier fridges is constantly monitoring internal temperature, gradually slowing or speeding up as needed in order to maintain equilibrium. This means that, overall, the compressor doesn't have to work as hard since temperatures aren't falling out of whack as often.

You can find the entire article about these compressors here:
Digital Inverter Compressors: Can't We All Just Chill Out? - Reviewed.com Refrigerators

This is definitely something the RF197 didn't have so anything's possible with respect to the MSW inverter issue.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Since my new coach is 5 hours away, I have not had the luxury to observe all the nuts and bolts, and have yet to determine if the 07 MADP came with a MSW or PSW inverter. However, there now is a new Samsung RF18 sitting in place of the OEM Norcold and I will find out on Friday. If it does run, then I guess only time will tell if it is sustainable. There are not a lot of choices in 33" counter-depth refrigerators out there. I will probably upgrade the inverter if necessary.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #17

I have a comment on the Digital Inverter compressor.

Another term for this type of motor drive is Variable Frequency Drive. Chances are the drive will be o-kay with the MSW inverter. VFDs create two new frequencies to drive an induction motor, making the motor behave as though it has more magnetic poles than it physically has. The advantage is nearly full motor torque at stall and smoothly variable motor speed.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Since my new coach is 5 hours away, I have not had the luxury to observe all the nuts and bolts, and have yet to determine if the 07 MADP came with a MSW or PSW inverter. However, there now is a new Samsung RF18 sitting in place of the OEM Norcold and I will find out on Friday. If it does run, then I guess only time will tell if it is sustainable. There are not a lot of choices in 33" counter-depth refrigerators out there. I will probably upgrade the inverter if necessary.
The Magnum PSW devices, of which we have the MS2812, are so much better than the MSW devices of a decade earlier that we're sorry we didn't make the change sooner. 4-stage charging and much faster switching speeds make our Magnum a significant improvement over the Xantrex it replaced. Technology does advance.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #19

Since I have a new RF18H sitting in the garage ready to go in our CC, I'm subscribing to this thread. I was planning on using a Magnum MM612 inverter as it has pass thru shore power switching and it would be just dedicated to the Sammy. Now I'm second guessing this path.

Is anyone aware of a PSW small inverter, without charger, that has shore power switching?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #20
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
It should run just fine on the MSW inverter as it does modify the incoming power before it sends it to the compressor. I have a Fisher-Paykel refrigerator (a few inches shorter then the Samsung) with a digital inverter compressor and it has been working fine for the last year. F-P does approve it for MSW operation as well.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbrnr View Post
...Is anyone aware of a PSW small inverter, without charger, that has shore power switching?
Although a lot of people aren't too fond of Zantrex, they offer ProSine and ProWatt SW models from 540 to 1800 watts without the charging feature. These units don't have an internal transfer switch to pass through 120V shore power, but an external transfer switch can be added for about $65.

I would also be interested to see if anyone can recommend any other small PSW inverter w/o a charger.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:46 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
It should run just fine on the MSW inverter as it does modify the incoming power before it sends it to the compressor. I have a Fisher-Paykel refrigerator (a few inches shorter then the Samsung) with a digital inverter compressor and it has been working fine for the last year. F-P does approve it for MSW operation as well.
So far so good. The Samsung ran off the inverter about 6 hours on the way home Sat. It is back on shore power now. BTW, my inverter is a Magnum ME 3112, MSW.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, refrigerator