Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Mud-flap Mayhem

I just finished a trip to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. During the return trip, I suddenly came upon a radiator in the middle of the road. I only had enough time to make sure I straddled it, which I did successfully. At least until it got to the motorhome’s mud-flap. It ended up tearing off the mud-flap and then both came up and hit the dinghy. It took out the radiator and the front fascia of the dinghy, not to mention of course the mud-flap. My question is this, has this type of thing happened to others or is it just a fluke? How far off the ground should the mud-flap be? All I know is if I didn’t have a mud-flap(which I don't now), I would have missed that radiator entirely.
Gary

2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #2

The mud flap needs to be close to the ground, otherwise your toad will take a beating. Sounds like bad luck to me.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
And the toad would have hit the radiator anyway. mudflap or not?...........ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
No, If it hadn't hit the mud-flap the car(Ford Edge) would have cleared as well. It is that 1" +/- clearance on the mud-flap. Just not sure if I shouldn't install a shield on the car instead of replacing the mud-flap.
2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The "mud flap" should clear the pavement by 6-8". If it is lower it will sweep debris off the road surface and cause more damage than it prevents. The solid flaps are the worst offenders. I have a shield in front of my toad, but cannot imagine what would happen if a radiator came up between the MH and the toad ...I suspect it would not be pretty regardless of what kind of shield I had on the toad. That is a BIG chunk of metal that is going to go somewhere no matter what ...going under the car would likely cause a lot of damage too.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not exactly the same but I did straddle a whole truckers retread once and the little MR2 car that was tailgating me....Well, you know the little toy cars that fly apart when you run them into each other? That's what happened to the MR2 when it met the retread. Looked like a bomb hit that car.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ouch
a radiator.... how does one loose a rad? you have to wonder what teh donor felt when they lost it

I have hit a few tire tread alligators that busted lights and hoses

my flap is a hard one and it clears about 5" when we are at ride height
i have knocked it off once already in a low dip at a feed store
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your incident. If it's any consolation, I think you have the best thread title of the day.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Correct! I had about 6" clearance and never had toad damage.

Mud flaps with little clearance will contact the road as the MH travels over bumps, dips and normal road undulations.

However, all bets are off if accidentally going over a large enough object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
The "mud flap" should clear the pavement by 6-8". If it is lower it will sweep debris off the road surface and cause more damage than it prevents.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Mine is only about 2" off the ground while travelling. I don't want to get anything close to it while in travel mode. I believe it was made/installed this way, because I seen others with the same type of coach who's has a similar hang down length.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
That's the way mine came from the factory, but I raised it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 430 View Post
Mine is only about 2" off the ground while travelling. I don't want to get anything close to it while in travel mode. I believe it was made/installed this way, because I seen others with the same type of coach who's has a similar hang down length.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #12

I have a moustache on mine. I don't know if it could snag some road debris but I kinda doubt it. It seems to do a good job but I don't see many new rigs sporting a stache these days.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lost mine due to an "Alligator" in the road. I was unable to avoid it. Took out the full width mudflap and seperated the exhaust system. Put everything back together and installed "mudflaps" behind the rear wheels instead of the full width one I had lost $$$. I really think the coach runs cooler than before? Thankfully it didn't get the toad.
Richard
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #14

I took my full length flap off. I don't tow and I have mudflaps behind the rear tires. The radiator was probably from a junker. I work on the interstate system and find junk all the time. A pickup will be towing a trailer all loaded with metal. Some of it doesn't make it to the junkyard. You would not believe all the stuff I find on the side of the road and at times, in the middle of the road. Most of it is junk. One of the guys went into the median to pick up a piece of rubber and found $63.00 in cash laying on top of the grass. How did that get there?

CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote