Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Mud Guard for Thor Hurricane 33T

I am new to RV'ing, purchasing my coach this past August. I had a backplate and breakaway switch installed on my 2014 Ford Focus in December. Purchased a Patriot Braking system this weekend. Thought I was all ready to go on my cross-country trip, that is supposed to start in May. My wife recently asked about protection for the toad. My MH does not have anything on the back to protect the Ford concerning rocks, etc. Am I suppposed to buy mudflaps or something similar to protect the toad? Can anyone make recommendations on what they use, or if they are needed? Are they difficult to install? Is it something I need to have Camping World install? Thanks for your help.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every RV comes with mud flaps located directly behind the tires. The additional option is a full length broom, split and solid rubber flap. The additional mud flaps have to be at least 3 inches above the ground because when the RV bounces going down the road, the flap gets closer to the roadway and kicks up rocks and other debris.
I would lean toward the tow covers that lay flat horizontal with the ground that deflect airborne objects.

http://www.readybrake.com/instructio...kDeflector.pdf
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #3

There are numerous rock guards one being described above. Another is made by blue Ox that is a felxible material that extends from the rear of the coach to the front of the toad and virtually stops everything from being kicked up. The brush "hula Skirt" type are worthless ! Shop Google mud guards for motor homes and many will pop up
Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #4

Camping World currently sells the Ultra Guard full-width mud flap for $99.99 + $39 installation fee.
---If you are a member--
I wouldn't attempt to install one for $39 at my age.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
On our Alaska trip, we used the 'Protect-A-Tow' horizontal guard between the coach and toad...still had gravel dings to the Jeep's windshield and front end painted surfaces. We also had a properly adjusted, full width rock guard on the back of the coach.

In all fairness to the protectors, we would sometimes use roads we probably should not have been on.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have heavy rubber flaps behind each rear duals plus I installed a 96' Ultra Guard acrosss the rear. Wasn't hard at all. Keep it at least 4-6 " off the ground. I like the results and my car stays pretty clean too. If you go with the Ultar Guard, buy the steel channel too, as it is punched to match the holes in the flap. I think its under $100, plus the channel.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I see the mounting angle steel channel at Camping World is about $30. Mounted with short chains to frame it looks similar to this :
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Without spending a small fortune, it is not easy to keep your toad for getting some "road wear". I have full flap across the back and it does keep the toad relatively safe. Any protection is better than none.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #9

Thanks for your responses. I was hoping I was done with purchases in preparation for this trip. I guess I need to realize that the coach is going to be a money pit, like the gulf boat I used to have, I am 63 and have lost a lot of mobility as a result of something I inherited from my dad. I have a Camping World not too far from here. Think I'll have them install the Ultra Guard mud flap. The toad is brand new, and I don't want to damage it with this upcoming cross-country trip. So you think the Ultra Guard will be sufficient? I really appreciate your help. I am still learning this stuff. One more thing, I made a post a while back about a Propane smell in my motor home. You guys gave me good advice on how to troubleshoot it, which I successfully did. This weekend, I smelled a propane smell outside in my back yard. Using the things you taught me, I troubleshot the problem to a loose fitting on the propane tank. After tightening it up, no more leaks. I called Blossman Gas and told them about it today. They told me that they had received a bunch of calls concerning leaking propane. They said the unusually cold weather we have had down south has caused many problems with o-ring seals. I cannot thank all of you enough for all of the info you have passed on since I bought my RV. Thank you so much!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #10

djbmsu, I was just looking at that Blue Ox BX88255 KarGard II Towed Vehicle Protection unit. It looks like it attaches directly to the Blue Ox Towbar. The baseplate and towbar I purchased are made by Blue Ox, so this might be an easier way to go, installation wise. Looks like it is not real cheap, though. Do you guys think this offers better protection than the rear mud flap?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #11

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the Blue Ox BX88255 KarGard II Towed Vehicle Protection Unit? I am leaning toward that unit because I already have all Blue Ox Towing Equipment, and looks to be an easy install.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
The BO shield is pretty expensive and one more thing you have to do when hooking up the toad. In my opinion, if you have the flaps at the duals and an UltraGuard set at 4-6", you will be good to go.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #13

One final question. I have scheduled Camping World to install this mudflap on March 4:

Ultra Guard 94"W x 20"H for Motorhomes - Smart Solutions 00014 - Splash Guards & Mudflaps - Camping World

Is this part below required to be installed on the mudflap to make it effective?

Stainless Steel Trim Kit for Ultra Guard - Smart Solutions 00093 - Splash Guards & Mudflaps - Camping World

Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
One final question. I have scheduled Camping World to install this mudflap on March 4:

Ultra Guard 94"W x 20"H for Motorhomes - Smart Solutions 00014 - Splash Guards & Mudflaps - Camping World

Is this part below required to be installed on the mudflap to make it effective?

Stainless Steel Trim Kit for Ultra Guard - Smart Solutions 00093 - Splash Guards & Mudflaps - Camping World

Thanks again for your assistance.
The Stainless steel is just for looks. It may add some weight to the UG, but it will work fine without it.

Tags
hurricane, thor