Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
I installed the 5050XL on my RV a couple of years ago. The 5050 is very small compared to the stock muffler and a savings in weight if that makes a difference to anyone. There are not baffles in the 5050 and you can see through the 5050 so in effect it is a straight pipe but does have vents (for lack of a better word) that allows some of the exhaust to go into the outer chamber of the muffler. I doubt a straight pipe would be much louder than the 5050. I can not document it but I believe the turbo spins up faster and that there is more low end power. As far as noise yes, it is a bit louder but not obnoxious. My opinion for what it's worth is I'd probably go for a straight pipe if I were doing it again.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #16

On my experience, the Aero 5050XL IS quieter than a straight pipe. I ran both.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #17

Imagine that; a muffler that is quieter than a straight pipe. What will they think of next.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Alright wa8yxm, now that you've gone , is there a better muffler for my signature? I do not want it to drone. I want something that is less restrictive than stock and if it adds HPs, that would be .
No, I really did not go off topic... And to answer your question. I DO NOT Know.. I have not researched what mufflers are out there (yet) and do not plan on doing said research for at least 2 more years, possibly longer.

HOWEVER.. The odds are that you can indeed trade off a bit of noise reduction for a bit of back pressure reduction.. How much I do not know, that is what I need to research.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #19

Thanks for the reply. I guess I/We could search the forum for best gasser muffler, but me thinks it would produce the same results as asking what the best TP or oil was.

What I need to do is dig through the receipts for my Dodge Ram 1500. I put a CAT back system on it with a fairly quiet straight thru muffler.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
On my experience, the Aero 5050XL IS quieter than a straight pipe. I ran both.
Thanks for that info.
Do you have any mpg results on the Aero and the straight pipe?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
KIX

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I/We could search the forum for best gasser muffler, but me thinks it would produce the same results as asking what the best TP or oil was.

What I need to do is dig through the receipts for my Dodge Ram 1500. I put a CAT back system on it with a fairly quiet straight thru muffler.
My fav for gasser engines is Flow Master
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #22

Quote:
I found my receipts for the CAT back system and it included a muffler, but no part number.

I can see myself standing at the NAPA parts counter, buying a Walker look-alike muffler, but for the life of me, I can't find the NAPA receipt. I'll look again. Maybe it was in another life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
My fav for gasser engines is Flow Master
The one on my Breeze is 3" in/out and is 25" long. The one on my 1500 is 22" long, 3" in/out and straight through. With the windows up, I can't hear it. I want one like it. I have plenty of exhaust pipe in the back 40 to make something like that fit.

Guess I'll have to check NAPA's catalogs.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
On otr trucks I have had every combination, from single to dual stacks to straight pipes. One truck I had had a single 7" straight pipe( Cat engine 5" off the turbo adapted to 7") when I got it. I made one trip with it like that and off came the big chrome pipe and on went a 5" muffler and stack. The only difference I have ever seen is noise level. If there was a power gain it was hardly noticeable. On a coach you wont hear the noise as much but everyone else will.