Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
KIX

Muffler vs. Straight Pipe

I am considering installing a performance muffler such as an Aero 5050(XL) or a MBRP M2050. A friend suggested a straight pipe as an alternative.

I would appreciate comments from those that have installed either of the above mufflers or straight pipe. Comments concerning noise levels, exhaust drone, mpg improvements, etc.

The coach is a 40' DP with a Cummins ISC, 350 HP.

Thanks

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Howdy,

I own a 40 DP Foretravel with a Cummins M-11 450 H.P. I have added a power banks system to it and that included changing the exaust pipe as well it will not husrt your motor it will add M.P.G and H.P to your engine it wirth the money to do it as it will pay for it self in the long run Best of luck

travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #3

Huh, didn't know a diesel requires a fancy muffler. I saw the inside of my muffler (cut away in the showroom), and it only had like 6 baffles. Some with holes in them. Nothing fancy as you're not suppose to slow down the exhaust gases.

So, I'm curious what a 'performance' muffler would be for a diesel. Other then very expensive.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Huh, didn't know a diesel requires a fancy muffler. I saw the inside of my muffler (cut away in the showroom), and it only had like 6 baffles. Some with holes in them. Nothing fancy as you're not suppose to slow down the exhaust gases.

So, I'm curious what a 'performance' muffler would be for a diesel. Other then very expensive.

Perhaps the guys at Brazel's RV Performance could shed some light on advantages if any of "performance" mufflers for diesel.

Just a thought..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #5

Do a search for Diesel Forums. The are plenty out there and I'm sure that subject has been beat to death.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Here is one thread, started last June Aero 5050XL install 3126 pics
Another topic Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Straight pipe exhaust for diesel pusher
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be kind

To your passing motorists, campers, and homes you pass. Muffle it correctly. Excessive sound is pollution.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
"... or straight pipe. Comments concerning noise levels, exhaust drone, mpg improvements, etc."

You are really going to make some friends in the CGs you stay in and of those you pass with a straight pipe. A diesel is loud enough as it comes from the factory. Any idea from the advocates of a straight or 'performance' muffler on the percentage of increase in fuel he might get? Or perhaps the amount of savings realized after subtracting the police fines for loud or unmuffled engines while traveling through their towns?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are cities not far from where I am currently parked where folks with Sound Meters (Radio Shack sells them, but you need to have 'em calibrated to do this) go around and when the needle goes above the magic mark specified in the local ordinance out comes ye-old-citation book and in some cases a phone call to ye-old-very-expensive in the case of a motor home-tow truck.

Now.. personally.. I have never met these noise police, but I have read up on 'em.

Had a partner who got ticketed when his muffler wore out.. We replaced it and the ticket was dismissed by our sgt. but hey.. .(It was one of our tropers who wrote it).

I really do not like crawlling around under cars (this was a car) much rather crawl around under motor home (Got to do that today, or tomorrow, totaly different reason though) .
Old 05-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Straight pipes without any mufflers betrays our Recreational Vehicle lifestyle. Be a good steward of the environment and our passion and be considerate of all that may be impacted by a casual decision.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There will be no performance gain in a turbo diesel from a straight pipe without the addition of fuel. You may get some small reduction in EGT. At 25psi of boost you have ~50psi of exhaust pushing through the turbine section. The back pressure from the muffler is small in comparison.

Hot rodding a turbo charged diesel is really cool and a lot of fun, some of the tools of naturally aspirated engines don't apply.

The banks kit, although expensive, is fairly well engineered and for your ISC would be a good choice. Cooling balance would then be your limitation. Have fun.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

I have a 400 Caterpillar, I removed the muffler to examine the internals. What I found was a shock, it is so restrictive I'm amazed it can breath at all. I replaced it with a Aero 5050 XL myself. I honestly think it did make a difference at cruising speed when a slight increase in speed is needed. Seems to help it stay in sixth gear a little more also. As far as the noise, I really don't think it is noisier but it is definitely a lot mellower and deeper in tone. Cat's have a distinct rattle at low RPM that is softer now. As far as fuel numbers, I won't say as of yet because of a real test with a few thousand miles. I have made three different trips of less than 100 miles each and like the difference in sound. This is a 2005 exhaust system on a American Coach.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This does not apply to DP's as much as a front engine style like my Gasser.

But some engines are not all that loud on straight pipes.. Epically if it is a LONG straight pipe.

(The length acts like a muffler, in fact that is basically what a muffler does, lengthen the pipe, few other things too).

That said, I like it muffled.

And my other post about the dang noise level police.. That was true, just a few miles from where I lived when I read it and I drove though that city last Thursday, Wed, Monday, (All 3 days twice on Mon and Wed, once Thu).

Still.. I might consider a "Performance' muffler when I replace mine in a year or 3.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #14

Alright wa8yxm, now that you've gone , is there a better muffler for my signature? I do not want it to drone. I want something that is less restrictive than stock and if it adds HPs, that would be .

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote