Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 06:52 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Started out learning while in the AF electronics school at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS. The old stye with the moving needle (Dearsinal movement) were great but not very rugged. In the 70's we got Flukes which I would actually throw across the classroom to demonstrate how rugged they were. I still have that one. When the shop closed down 2006 I decided to store it in my garage because the maintenance guys would have removed it. They can have it back anytime.

Flukes were the first DVOM's and the best. Now everybody makes them and most will do what we need them for. I also got a few at pawn shops cheap.

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I have both pro and cheap harbor freight(several cuz there free at times). Most of the time at home I end up using the harbor freight one and in the MH it's always that one. For the MH any will do and here is the kicker LEARN HOW IT WORKS before needed.

LEN
Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Hardly anything in an RV or automotive system requires much accuracy or precision, so buying a Fluke to have knocking around in an RV for occasional use is (in my opinion) a waste of money. I own a good quality meter I rarely use, but have four of the cheap Harbor Freight VOMs ($3-$4 each) in handy places so I always have meter to use. Two in the RV, one in my home office desk drawer, and another in my workshop. My good VOM is also in the house, to protect it from moisture and physical knocks, but I rarely need to use it any more.

In most case the electrical check is voltage or not, or continuity (ohms) or not, so any meter that can distinguish between zero and non-zero will do the job. Even AC or DC amp measurements need only gross readings. Precision readings are for tests on circuit board components, somethng that few RVers are prepared to do.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #18

I have B&K, Fluke, Simpson and a half dozen cheap meters accumulated through my work life. I also have several Harbor Freight $5 specials. From the comparisons I have done there is no reason to buy any more expensive meter for routine service work. I can read more digits on the better high end units but they are all in the plus minus 1 digit range when I compared them on 60 Hz AC 120 AC and 12 VDC. Accuracy does not seem to be an issue on the cheap one's. They are not as well made but they are sufficient for the intended use and I don't cringe if they get dropped or stepped on. ;-)

FWIW It seems one of the byproducts of modern electronic integration is a significant decrease in the cost of test equipment.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #19
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If you have a modified sine wave inverter, a regular voltmeter will indicate low voltage, around ~104+/- volts.

A True RMS voltmeter will read correctly.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
For what you want to do, nearly any one will do. I have a digital one that sells for $9.95 at Harbor Freight. It does everything I need it to do, And they often give it away for FREE if you have a coupon from one of their ads.
Yep, I've got a couple of those "freebies" laying around! I use a Fluke that I've had for many years, just keep the freebies for backup!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #21

also have the fluke but got a DC clamp meter from Lowe's for the motorhome.
beengood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #22

I've carried a Fluke in my Tool case for 40 yrs. Half of the functions are worthless if you're not an Electronic Technician. But the peak hold function can tell a lot about your generator if you leave it plugged in a 110 outlet running on the genny for a while. Old Navy ET1.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I have both pro and cheap harbor freight(several cuz there free at times). Most of the time at home I end up using the harbor freight one and in the MH it's always that one. For the MH any will do and here is the kicker LEARN HOW IT WORKS before needed.

LEN
LOL....I have my choice of two, but ask me how to use one, at least effectively, and I might get that deer in the headlight look! Have 30 days or so to find a good instructional video on youtube!!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
I have two digital from Harbor Freight for free.

One at home and one in the rig.

It is amazing how often they are used and they work for my purposes.

$20 would be a high price unless you are building circuit boards or fine tuning a generator.

Get digital, not analog.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
I've had one of these for years. It costs a bit more but does a lot more than the toss out models.

5-in-1 Digital Multimeter

The link says 5 in 1 but it's really 14 functions.
Dick
Old 10-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #26

Do yourself a favor and get a digital one not the analog meter.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 10-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #27

I too have a couple of Fluke 77's from the 80's and they are great and I keep one the RV and the other at home. But for the average Joe its to much. I recommend pretty much any digital meter that is auto ranging. As far as reading current, if you don't understand ohms law I would be hesitant for a novice to use a inline meter for current as you would probably blow fuses. If you really want to read current look at a clamp on style meter unless you know what you are doing. While you purchase your meter get a set of alligator clips along with the probes. http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electro...st+lead+banana
Old 10-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I type this I'm looking at a coupon from harbor Freight, their 10.00 meter (well 9.99) free with coupon no purchase required. I already have two of them.