Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
multiple problems with Winnebago Tour

We purchased a 2010 Winnebago Tour 42 AD in April 2011 and it has been in the shop far more times than we've had it. Multiple problems with all the slides, the bed system, the generator, the antennae, the power lock system. Has anyone else had all of these problems? We are new to the Rving world and are trying to decide of we have a lemon or if this is what is expected from these large motorhomes. Any response is appreciated.

rkiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #2

Heartland RV Club
First of all ...

Nice coach ,I looked at a few 2010 Tours before I Adopted my 2011 Journey .

Part of having a coach like this is working the bugs out of them.
I just had mine at Lazy Days getting some minor work done. The satellite would not lock onto anything, slide was making a funny noise ,a piece of carpet was sticking up ,and the engine over heat light came on.

The nice folks at Lazy days did a great job of getting everything fixed in two days.

Off to the Georgia mountains next weekend .There is a brand new state park I gotta try.

have fun

Wayne and Debbie
2014 Gateway 3650BH
2008 F350 dually diesel .
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

We just bought our second Tour. Our first was a 2008. We had things like the fireplace making noise, refrigerator recall, microwave worked loose and other little things that were repaired under warranty. The only significant item was the right front wheel bearing, which was a chassis problem and not Winnebago.

I haven't noticed anything on the new Tour.

A debugging period isn't unusual, but it sounds like your Tour is having a lot more than its share of problems. It might be time to give Winnebago a call and see about getting the problems resolved to your satisfaction. It may be that your dealer is especially adept at fixing things.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry you are having problems but, as previously noted, working a number of bugs out of a new coach is not unusual. Most folks say it takes about the first year of ownership to get everything fixed.

You may be unlucky and having some of the more complicated issues. Issues with slides, for example. I have learned that there are few dealers who are really competent at fixing all of the issues that can arise with these complicated machines.

Two suggestions: 1) consider making a trip to the Winnebago factory service center in Forest City, IA. They are your best shot at getting everything taken care of. 2) if option 1 is not possible, call Winnebago Service Administration and ask for their recommendation of dealers in your area who are most likely to be able to fix the particular issues you have.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
I can well imagine your disappointment and frustration and have certainly been there and done that. It does come with the territory I'm afraid. The good news is that everything is repairable and Winnebago is a good company to deal with. To me, the right place to have the slides repaired is the factory, depending on the problem. The generator I would only trust to Cummins/Onan. The other issues should be able to be handled by the dealer. if you end up taking it to the factory then I would have them just handle it all.

You're at the beginning of a steep learning curve but it will get better. As you solve problems and understand how various systems work you will gain confidence in your coach. Patience and humor will serve you well.
Bob Adams
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400hp Allison Xantrex RS2000 Onan Aqua Hot CRV
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Its a beautiful coach, have patience, lots of patience. Its a new house and not just a little bungalow its a luxury 2nd home with all the bells and whistles except it has wheels. It takes a while to get things squared away sometimes a long while. Document evrything, save your receipts and don't let problems drag on. The best mental attitude is that there will always be something that needs adjustment or fixing just like a house its part of the deal when you have a motorhome or any rv. Remember its going to take you places you can never go to in a hotel, plus you will know who slept in you bed last. If you want to trade let me know!!!!
07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 2014 Honda CRV, greyhound lab mix, pit pointer mix(RIP bessie) , shar pei mix, stupid cat, wife
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought a 2010 Winnebago Tour back in March. It has been in the shop twice so far and it is going back next week. The first visit was to Freightliner to get a leaking tag axel seal replaced. The next visit was to Diamond RV where we bought it to get some tiles replaced as the r/h forward slide was hitting. It also needed the following things repaired bedroom doors replaced, paint touchup, seat heater on full time, new antenna motor, window shade adjustment, and a few other very minor items. On the next visit it is getting the forward air conditioner replaced, the forward roof vent replaced ( they broke it on the first visit) and the chair rail moulding in the bathroom reattached to the wall. All the issues have been fairly minor in my opinion so far and not out of the ordinary for a new coach. Im sure there will be more before the year is out. We bought an extended warranty for piece of mind since this was our first motorhome. Other than blowing up my new jeep wrangler yesterday because i was stupid and forgot to put the transfer case in neutral, the motorhoming experience has been positive. We are in Maine this weekend in the rain with a broke dinghy but it still beat being at work!
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Happy Trails, Tom
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Nor'easters Club
I agree with going back to the factory...our slide was scraping the tiles too..had to remove slide and tiles...sand down the sub floor and retile! they also did work I did not ask for but THEY knew there may be an issue in the future!!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had three used DP's and they were all without issues as the original owners had straightened out the problems. I have since bought two new DP's, one was a Tom Johnson support coach for the MRN crew, driven by a service tech and it had 13,000 miles on it and we had no prorblems whatsoever for 30,000 miles when we traded it in on a 2010 Providence. We have had minor problems and taken the coach to the factory in Decatur two times. All of the issues have been resolved, so I would suggest going the factory route. Contact Winnebago first with a complete list of problems starting with the most serious first. Set up a date and expect to stay until all problems are resolved. I am certain Winnebago will make them all go away. Good luck.
wah864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
The factory approach seems the best route if you have numerous problems to get fixed. That being said, I can't understand why evryone seems to expect peoblems from a new motor home with the prices they are charging. Its the manufacturers responsiblility to make the **** thing right the first time and make sure it is (like QC). With the dealer markup, I would also expect the dealer to check every little thing to make sure the factory has done there job including a road test and all equipment. I for one look at a well taken care of used coach, so someone else has the frustration of the factory not doing their job.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
You can see a couple of my recent posts on here regarding my feelings and experiences with our brand new 2011 Revolution 42W ... by the way, your coach was our second choice when it came right down to it ... this is our fifth coach and, as I continue to tell myself, "it's just new, it isn't perfect"??? This is how I try to keep my sanity ... yes, what you are going through is, unfortunately, all too common these days but, you will get it sorted out and you will be happy ... keep on rollin'
Tony & Yolanda / Katie & Spencer (the Doodles)
2011 Fleetwood Revolution 42W (450/1250)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Diesel) behind
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you're having the trouble but it's not at all unusual. The best RVing advice I received as a newbie with a brand new 40DP was to not get frustrated with the long list of things which would go wrong during the first year. Just stay on top of the dealer and as mentioned take it to Forest City if at all possible.

Originally Posted by bjsheldon View Post
I can't understand why evryone seems to expect peoblems from a new motor home with the prices they are charging. Its the manufacturers responsiblility to make the **** thing right the first time and make sure it is (like QC). With the dealer markup, I would also expect the dealer to check every little thing to make sure the factory has done there job including a road test and all equipment. .
I think the reason everyone seems to expect problems from a new motor home is because they are reality and have to be delt with. No coach builder seems to have cornered the market on QC. If they had, we would all be voting with our wallets and flocking to them.

A few years back we spent the winter at a very upscale resort of deeded sites and were surrounded by million dollar rigs. I played a lot of golf with these guys and learned that even those coaches had a lot of problems... but Marathon would send a tech to their site to repair them so they weren't as painful.

Best of luck and hang in there.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
Sorry you are having so many issues with you new and quite expensive MH. I have only bought used hoping that the major defects had been found but alas if they had new ones showed up due to age and misuse. When I bought my 2000 Hurricane I made a detail list of items for the dealer to fix as part of the deal and some I would pay for. The list included about 28 items. Some were fixed and some were said to have been fixed but are now fixed after I got out my tools. BTW has anyone ever told you dealers lie? I'm still finding small things to take care of just as I do around the house.

Quality costs money to assure and many dealers and manufacturers are only spending money on lip service.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not that this will make anyone feel better but its not just motorhomes that have bugs to work out when new. One of my roles at work is to buy new corprorate jets and we have the same teething pains with them during the first year. Once the components are "burned in" they generally become very reliable. So price doesn't make any difference, factory quality control however does. So far in my new Tour the seat heaters were miswired, the galley/bath switch for the gray water wired backwards, one of the forward coach lights wired backwards, and my favorite the the antenna rotates in the wrong direction! These are not malfunctioning components they are simply a lack of quality control. No matter because I still love the coach and once I find and fix all the bugs i'll be looking for more things to fix anyway! It was funny watching my wife's puzzled look when she checked the gray water tanks! Maybe I should have left the switch reversed! :-)

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Happy Trails, Tom
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote