Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Multiple questions

I have a 2006 Winnebago Tour. I have a few questions:
1. Can I leave the coach plugged in for the winter?

2. Do you turn off \on the battery disconnect switch for the engine batteries?

3. Do you hook up a tricker charger on the engine batteries?

4. Where is the oil filter on the omin generator (excuse my spelling)?

5. I'm planning a trip to Mt Rushmore and from there which is the better road to take to Cody 14 or 16?

Thank you for your feed back.

Zonkpdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Here's what we do. I don't know of a reason why you couldn't do the same.

1. We leave our coach plugged in all winter long.

2. We leave the battery disconnects on all the time.

3. The inverter in our coach will keep the battereis fully charged when the coach is
plugged in. we monitor the water in the coach batteries and fill about every 2

4. The oil filter on a 7.5kw Onan Generator is located in a compartment door on the
underside of the generator. The fuel filter is located there also.

5. Don't know

Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
3. You should have a Trik-L-Start as Winnebago started putting them as standard in their diesel pushers in the 2006 model year.

A Trik-L-Start will charge the chassis (engine) batteries while you are plugged into shore power by "stealing" a bit of charge from the house batteries. So if you do leave your coach plugged in, both house and chassis batteries should be kept charged.

I've attached the Winnebago announcement as to when they started putting Trik-L-Starts in their diesel pushers.

To make sure you do have one, look in you power cord compartment or under the hood behind the electrical door and see if you have something attached to the panel that looks like this:

ETA: The attached PDF kind of contradicts itself as it says that "all" 2006 diesel pushers will have the Trik-L-Start but then goes on to imply that only the P-series (Journey) and S-Series (Vectra) will have it. It doesn't mention the Tour. So we'll have to let a Tour owner answer this.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf WinnebagoTrik-L-Start.pdf (125.0 KB, 14 views)
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I have solar panels but the RV is covered so I just check my batteries about every other week with a multimeter to make sure the batteries are charged or charging. I will plug up the RV if the batteries are low. I use a single jumper wire from the positive side of the coach batteries to charge my chassis battery.
nccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
You will also need to run your generator for about an hour each month under load, that means you may need to plug in an electric heater or something while running the generator.
nccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Since nobody answered your last question yet, I'll take a shot, although I'm not sure what you mean by better.

There are actually 3 routes to Cody. They are 16, 14, and 14A. Hwy. 16 is the easiest drive across the Bighorns, but is also the least scenic IMO. My personal favorite is 14A which splits off from 14 at Burgess Junction. Be aware that 14A is quite steep (see map in photo). If you do choose that route, stop off at Bighorn Canyon NRA east of Lovell. The scenery is spectacular, and you can usually see bighorn sheep and wild horses right along the road.

Hwy. 14 is steeper than hwy. 16, but not as steep as hwy. 14A. If you go that way, be sure to see the falls and take the walk around the Shell Canyon Visitor Center.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14a.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	28166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bighorn Canyon NRA.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	28167  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheep.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	28168  
Retired electronics engineer. Avid paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253FBS (27' 5er) & '94 19' Class B
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

All good advice so far on your first three questions.

If you can leave the coach plugged in all winter it's probably best... but check you water level and run the gennie for an hour or so once a month under load. You should have a trickle charger to take care of your chassis batteries. Do not use the battery disconnect switches if you're leaving it plugged in, or you won't be charging anything.

good luck

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote