Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We have a Murphys locally, I use it often, and have for years, buying gasoline. I have been using it for diesel for the last year since I bought a DP.

I remember an engineer at work ranting and raving about getting a bad load of gasoline from the local Murphy years ago. And maybe he did, but I have spent literally thousands of bucks at this one with zero issues.

Why throw your money away? Diesel here is $1.93 ( then take your $.03 discount off that). Tank was empty, had to stop 70 miles from home, paid $2.09 at a new Quick Trip. $2.29 at a Flying J 30 miles down,the road.

P.S. The same engineer tried to sue the Post Office when the post next to the drop box screwed up the door on his pickup. Just say'n

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #44
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Stepping over Dollars to pick up Penny's ?
Fuel at the same Franchises every single time and you'll have far less Fuel issues and easy to trace back if you do. Just kills me when you guys post this stuff about saving a few Bucks and driving the Big Rigs like you do.
I burn 3000 Gallons a year typically Always stop at Flying J's. The Fuel is clean the facilities are relatively nice and I like their Chicken Wings !
You seem to be at the high end of usage Chuck. 3,000 gallons would get me over 20k miles a year, way more than I'd think I'd be doing even full-timing as that's around 500 miles a week.

I think what everyone else is tying to say is that if you would visit these other stations and save $.25 a gallon, you could, over the course of a year, save yourself around $2.07 a day! Heck, you could stop at DD or something and spread the wealth!

bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #45

American Coach Owners Club
Carl,
Point well taken, I've seen some of my friends buy Diesel at off brand places and have issues with filters and I think Flying J and Pilot flows a ton of fuel which to me means its probably cleaner. In addition I always have my Race Trailer on the back so its easy in and easy out and I can overnight if its time to stop.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
... Just kills me when you guys post this stuff about saving a few Bucks and driving the Big Rigs like you do. ...
OUCH!

I own a relatively "big rig" for our full time desires. We don't have deep pockets either. While we aren't nearly poor we do have a budget we attempt to follow. In effect we do have an awareness of total cost and save money when we can.

I could attempt to insult those with "big pockets" and say they don't care about money but I really don't care. Those with deep pockets have done things to be in that position so more power to them.

Since this topic has evolved into a Pilot/Flying J/big truck stop vs Walmart/Sams/discount fuel providers, the math is pretty simple without even considering discount cards and cash back factors. BTW, I do acknowledge that there are some "mom and pop" stations I would pass up even if I could fit in them. For the sake of clarification, I look for stations that are part of a larger chain.

I think it is pretty fair to agree that truck vs discount price differences are often, NOT ALWAYS, $.20 or more. I used about 1100 gallons in the last 12 months. I've probably used discount and non-truck stations for 90% of my fuel. For the sake of round numbers that implies that I've saved $200 or more in the last year. It ain't that much but it is something I can control.

FWIW, I've never seen any evidence of bad fuel in any of the places I have gone to. That doesn't guarantee anything but it is a good track record.

I would never propose anyone burn $100 bills for no particular reason.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #47

Gas station tanks are clean now day's, old tanks have been replaced with double wall tanks, all modern tanks have electronic monitor including water sensors. Plus they get sticked daily .
Pump's have filters inline.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Gas station tanks are clean now day's, old tanks have been replaced with double wall tanks, all modern tanks have electronic monitor including water sensors. Plus they get sticked daily .

I don't know if this is accurate. I picked up a load of rusty debris a few years ago and I only use Racetrack, Murphys, and pilot/ flying J. This cost me several hundred dollars in filters and finally dropping the tank for cleaning.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #49

Yeah, I don't know of any guarantee that any given station has effective fuel filters on its pumps. I wish they had external filters with sight glasses on the bottom, but they don't.

In some old pictures, you can see that some vendors had a pretty good (but probably slow) system in the early days: a large glass container on top of the pumps that allowed the consumer to see the amount and the appearance of all fuel being pumped.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
When refueling aircraft in third world countries, we always took a fuel sample in glass container to check for contamination. Do have to wait about 15 mins for any foreign substance (usually water) to separate. I have only known of one proven diesel contaminated fuel supply event in 15 yrs of RVin. Which sidelined many OTR trucks before the source was confirmed.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Has anyone bought diesel fuel from Murphy USA? Those are the gas stations that are located with Walmart. The truckstop up the road has diesel for $2.34 and Murphy USA has it for $1.86. How do the truck stop and Murphy diesel fuels compare?

Murphy is good fuel, but generally is BIO diesel so I won't use it. My experience has been that the major truck stop prices are typically 30 cents plus higher than the same brand at a local station or non- national brand truck stop nearby. You are paying for the amenities the truckers need, like showers, over nite parking, fax, restaurant, etc.

If you can get in the WalMart pump and don't mind BIO, use it!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Murphy is good fuel, but generally is BIO diesel so I won't use it. My experience has been that the major truck stop prices are typically 30 cents plus higher than the same brand at a local station or non- national brand truck stop nearby. You are paying for the amenities the truckers need, like showers, over nite parking, fax, restaurant, etc.

If you can get in the WalMart pump and don't mind BIO, use it!
OTR trucks aren't paying the advertised fuel prices that the public does. Trucking companies have set fuel contracts with P, L, FJ, TA, etc.

But curious, how do you know if the diesel pumps are non-bio before you pull into buy these days ? Murphy tanker driver told me he hauls non-bio, B5, B20 on any given day. Thats why the pumps are marked..."MAY Contain" they can, but don't have too. Its only disbursing bio grade fuel in unmarked pump thats illegal.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post

The problem is the human factor. Somebody has to work the stick, record the data and do something about it. I once pressed the button on a Flying-J tire air hose and water sprayed out. The manager said they were planning on dealing with that sometime soon.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #54

Well I took my coach to Murphy USA to fill up yesterday and it was still $1.86 a gallon as it was over a week ago when I first started this thread. I drove by the same station today and it is now $1.99 a gallon. What a difference a day makes!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Ok, I will give it a shot. Thanks for everybody's input. My next fill up will be at Murphy USA. My coach is 32 foot and I believe I should be able to maneuver to the pump.
I have used Murphy stations many times for diesel never had a problem also if you're coming down I 44 near Fort Leonard Wood the Murphy there is very acceptable to big rigs it's a new station within the last year and has the best prices around also you can spend the night at Walmart parking lot
Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #56

Aw, come on. This thread is already four pages long and is really nothing but a troll thread.

No fuel station in the country would stay in business if it was selling bad fuel. Sure, sometimes there will be a bad load for some reason or another. The word "Murphy" could be replaced with "Shell", "Chevron", or any other name brand and this thread would be the same.

Tags
diesel, fuel