Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Murphy Diesel fuel.

Has anyone bought diesel fuel from Murphy USA? Those are the gas stations that are located with Walmart. The truckstop up the road has diesel for $2.34 and Murphy USA has it for $1.86. How do the truck stop and Murphy diesel fuels compare?

MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have along with Sam's Club when available. I don't see any problems or performance changes with either.

The biggest issue is pump access. In some cases the access is pretty tight and I might not use them.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
And believe it or not, but almost all diesel in a given area comes from the same tank at the terminal.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #4

The ones here you can't get in with a Class A. I tried their fuel when I had a diesel truck & ended up with the water in fuel light coming on. Drained the water & haven't been back since. It may have been a problem with this one station.

I'm now using Costco since one just opened here.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

I used one in IL. Had to change the fuel filter every 200 miles (clogged) for the remainder of that tank.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:25 PM   #6

I use it every chance I can. Sometimes layout of the stations require you block one or two pumps while you fuel, but I've never had to unhook or never hit anything getting in or out. For a 125 gal sale, I've never had an attendant complain, and we're out as fast as I can make it. Besides, if you put it on a Walmart gift card, you get an additional 3 cents a gal off---regardless of how much you buy. The Flying J's and other truck stops are just ridiculous on what they charge and then they "give" you a discount that makes the price just plain stupid.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have bought diesel from Wal-Mart many times without any problems!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
The fuel may be the same when it goes into the storage tank, but how long it sits in that tank may differ substantially from the tank at the truck stop. Active truck stops go through a lot of diesel, so it's usually fresh fluid. I prefer stopping at Pilot/Flying J because of the ease of access and the ability to use the Pilot card at the pump. Perhaps a few pennies more per gallon than the discount places, but the convenience is far more important to me. As I've traveled across the highways and byways, I haven't seen truck stop prices outrageous. Different states and taxes may cause variations, but I haven't been to those places, I guess.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #9

The FlyingJ and the like always seem to be higher than the local stations. Remember that trucking companies negotiate huge discounts for their volume buys. Along with independent trucking company buying 'clubs'. Get a FlyingJ/Pilot debit card and that will get you the best savings. I have found good deals as some of the FJ/P's are locally owned and under something like a brand/franchise agreement. Murphy's is a very large operator and not just at Walmarts.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #10

YES I have bought diesel fuel at:
Murphy's, Marathon, Fry's, Costco and MANY Mom-Pop stations over the past 9 yrs for my 2007 5.9L CTD

We traveled FT for 7yrs...........majority of travel was via secondary/backroads and fueling was done at little out of way stations where you had to check if diesel was #1, #2 or Dyed.

NEVER had a clogged fuel filter...never had any water contamination issues...never had ANY diesel fuel issues and pricing was cheaper per gallon

Diesel fuel sells.......diesel fuel has a high/decent turn over.
Find it cheaper........buy it.

Cheaper is ALWAYS somewhere else than 'trucker stations' (Pilot/Flying J---TA/Travel Centers ETC) and usually just down the road.

AS to 'access'........I have gotten into/out of tighter/more difficult CGs/camping sites then encountered at any service station.
And I have had to stop traffic and back out of a few ----oh well-----
Old 05-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Has anyone bought diesel fuel from Murphy USA? Those are the gas stations that are located with Walmart. The truckstop up the road has diesel for $2.34 and Murphy USA has it for $1.86. How do the truck stop and Murphy diesel fuels compare?
We used to plan our fuel stops for a Wal*Mart Murphy stop - you can save some serious money.

Bonus is that if you need anything Wally*Mart is just out the door.

We have never had an issue getting in or out, so just need to mark them on the map.

BOL,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Wal-Mart/Murphy sells biodiesel, B5 to B20 on any given day. Not a problem with Cummins. They signed off on it years ago. We use it when we can. But won't buy biodiesel on last tank full when going into storage. Don't need the methyl, ethyl, or propy setting in tank/engine long term.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #13

Ok, I will give it a shot. Thanks for everybody's input. My next fill up will be at Murphy USA. My coach is 32 foot and I believe I should be able to maneuver to the pump.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Ok, I will give it a shot. Thanks for everybody's input. My next fill up will be at Murphy USA. My coach is 32 foot and I believe I should be able to maneuver to the pump.
Most Murphy's has the Diesel pumps on the far outside pumps.

I used them a few times when they had the 10 discount running with the Walmart gift card. I made it in/out with a 34' MH pulling a 14' cargo trailer with no problems.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel