Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Muttley's Repair Service

If you are ever broke down in the Florida/Georgia area, and your roadside assistance plan wants to send out Muttley's repair service DO NOT USE THEM!

Muttley's way overcharges for services provided + they straight out lie on their web page.

Examples of what I mean...
$1,900.00 charge to change a water pump on a Cummins engine? Coach has a side radiator so it was not in the way.
$345.00 administrative charge to change a water pump?
Service fee and supply fee, mechanic stated he has to buy all his own supplies with his own money. Owner does not reimburse him.
7 hour charge to change a water pump. Extended warranty company 'Easy Care' stated this is a 5 hour chargeable job, not 7.
Muttley's web site states they only use certified mechanics. Mechanic sent stated all his experience was on the job training.

I learned a valuable expensive lesson. But I will say it is very hard to negotiate when you have an emergency break down on the highway a thousand miles from home.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the heads-up!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #3

It is wrong when a repair company inflates prices. All of us here at the forum, hate to read of an RVer being ripped off.

You can reach a lot more folks with your message by posting at RV Service Reviews. All the best.

RV Service Reviews
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
CC, I agree $1900.00 is way too much for a water pump replacement!
Was this done on the side of the road?
You don't give the year of your coach in your signature, or any pic's of your access to the water pump! Even if it is a side radiator the access may be blocked by things that the coach builder put in the way that had to be removed before gaining access, and then put back on! Not justifying their charge, but just trying to understand?

I will show you a pic of mine, a 1996 Monaco Windsor side radiator, and I think I could change mine in a couple hours, barring no broke bolts, or other things that can and will happen! You do have to drain the coolant and refill which also takes time to do! WP is the reddish looking round thing!
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (Motor in Mona).jpg
Views:	150
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	188311

All I am trying to say, if you don't have the tools and knowledge to do the job yourself, and are on the side of the road, you are at their mercy! Suck's, I know, Just Say'n! Thanks for the heads up! I will remember that shops name for sure! Rail!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

Hello. I thought I was the only one that fell into this trap. My HWH motor went bad on my hydraulic pump in September. I had no way of putting diesel into my RV due to the front end slide out didn't work. I called Good Sams and they sent out Muttley. Man what a waist. He had an apprentice working with him but the guy wasn't monitoring what he was doing. Long story short, I was charged $3600 for a simple motor change out which turn into a nightmare. They spend 3 days trying to wire it back up and in the process damaged my HWH control board. So now I have to purchase a control board along with the electric panel. I agree with CC Wanderer. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY if you are in the area. Labor is high as hell, but when you are broke down miles out of town you are at the mercy of the Roadside crew. My advice, if you can make it home or to a RV facility, DO IT and let them do the work. I had just enough fuel to make it home. Now my RV is in a local RV repair shop trying to repair the damage that they caused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Wanderer View Post
If you are ever broke down in the Florida/Georgia area, and your roadside assistance plan wants to send out Muttley's repair service DO NOT USE THEM!

Muttley's way overcharges for services provided + they straight out lie on their web page.

Examples of what I mean...
$1,900.00 charge to change a water pump on a Cummins engine? Coach has a side radiator so it was not in the way.
$345.00 administrative charge to change a water pump?
Service fee and supply fee, mechanic stated he has to buy all his own supplies with his own money. Owner does not reimburse him.
7 hour charge to change a water pump. Extended warranty company 'Easy Care' stated this is a 5 hour chargeable job, not 7.
Muttley's web site states they only use certified mechanics. Mechanic sent stated all his experience was on the job training.

I learned a valuable expensive lesson. But I will say it is very hard to negotiate when you have an emergency break down on the highway a thousand miles from home.
chillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a spare water pump just for that reason. I can tell you 7 hours is about 5 to many for that job with a side radiator. Maybe 3 but that's pushing it. I bet a rear radiator calls for 7 hours.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:42 AM   #7

Personally, a name like "Muttley's" would be my first indicator of potential trouble!

Sorry for your troubles, and definitely post on RV Reviews!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #8

I have to agree that the name Muttley’s would probably have me looking elsewhere, but when your stuck on the side of the road, who knows.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the warning. Adding them to my DO not use list.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
It is wrong when a repair company inflates prices. All of us here at the forum, hate to read of an RVer being ripped off.

You can reach a lot more folks with your message by posting at RV Service Reviews. All the best.

RV Service Reviews
A lot of stuff is outdated. Some are even closed

I did nt know such a thing existed
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillwill View Post
Hello. I thought I was the only one that fell into this trap. My HWH motor went bad on my hydraulic pump in September. I had no way of putting diesel into my RV due to the front end slide out didn't work. I called Good Sams and they sent out Muttley. Man what a waist. He had an apprentice working with him but the guy wasn't monitoring what he was doing. Long story short, I was charged $3600 for a simple motor change out which turn into a nightmare. They spend 3 days trying to wire it back up and in the process damaged my HWH control board. So now I have to purchase a control board along with the electric panel. I agree with CC Wanderer. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY if you are in the area. Labor is high as hell, but when you are broke down miles out of town you are at the mercy of the Roadside crew. My advice, if you can make it home or to a RV facility, DO IT and let them do the work. I had just enough fuel to make it home. Now my RV is in a local RV repair shop trying to repair the damage that they caused.
What was the outcome of the complaint you filed with Good Sam ERS?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
A lot of stuff is outdated. Some are even closed

I did nt know such a thing existed
I agree, that website is virtually useless. There seems to be a total lack of site housekeeping/updating.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What was the outcome of the complaint you filed with Good Sam ERS?
My case...

I spoke with Good Sam Roadside extensively. Was given the phone number of a customer service manager in their Colorado office. He profusely apologized and extended my roadside membership. Oh boy.

Got on Good Sam's Facebook page and expressed my frustration I had with Good Sam roadside assistance and Muttleys repair. I was asked to message Good Sam that same day. I told them of my miserable experience and I would express my frustration every chance I got. Good Sam asked me if I was going to mention them when I was expressing my feelings towards Muttleys. My response, "You sent those thieves to me." As a side note, Good Sam roadside still uses Muttleys.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, service