Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #15

When I was looking to buy a coach a few years back my target length was 40 feet and thought I'd want at least on slide in the living area and one in the sleeping area for a king size bed. What Zi discovered was that many 40-footers were on the verge of being overweight before loading personal stuff. That drove me to wanting a tag axle. We ended up with a 42-foot, quad slide, tag ale Beaver Contessa.

We changed coaches about a year later to an older non-slide 45-foot Prevost conversion. I still would like a living room slide. Driving from FL to AK, we never ended up without a CG that couldn't accomodate a 45-footer. We do avoid CA as they really limit where a 45-footer can drive and are over zealous in enforcement of the over 65-foot law. No big deal, the coast road in Oregon seemed pretty breath taking to us.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #16

Congrats on your decision! Your gonna love the Eagle. I just sold my 2002 (they are picking up tomorrow) that I bought in 2004. The only major issue I ever had was an inverter that went out a week after I bought it. Other than that it's been trouble free. The 40' will grow on you by the time your done with your first trip.
American Eagles have always been considered quality coaches. You did good
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a 1999 40' Eagle as my first coach, didn't take very long at all to get use to it. I now have a 42' Eagle and love the tag and 1/2 bath. I miss the mileage I obtained from the '99 and the room when traveling. American has awesome customer support, good luck with your decision!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #18

Thanks for the welcome Monaco38 and others. I really appreciate the input. I had the same learning curve going from the Champion to the Pace Arrow. I got used to it in a few miles. This one wont fit next to the house so tht's another expense I'm not looking forward to. But the DW and I consider this to be our last coach (stop laughing, it could happen) so we wanted certain things. The build quality on the Eagle is so far superior to a lot of the newer stuff we've been looking at.
I'm pretty much sold on this rig, just pulling finances together and we should have it around the first of the year. Thanks for the responses, I'll let you know when we pick it up.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on a GREAT looking coach. Hope you enjoy all your future travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #20

You will love it. Great looking rig.

Amost bought an American Eagle before I bought a Monaco. Had a Monaco Diplomat LE 40' and then bought a Monaco Dynasty 40' because I wanted to try one with a Tag. Both were great but the Tag equipped unit had a slightly better ride but lower MPG. Re the size. Some state/provincial parks were tight and I often scouted the area with the toad before I went in for parking. I carried a chain saw and a long pole tree trimmer for tight places. (Was very careful where I used them but did use them as necessary -most often with permission if there was anyone around to ask.)

Re other campgrounds, well I most always asked about fitting in before I even got there but never really had problems with a 40' coach.

Good luck and enjoy.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
As many have stated already, older parks will be your only problem. We love our 40' dp. Over 40' will not work for us because of where we volunteer. Many of the camps are old and the RV spots are often pushed to the limit with this rig.

Driving a DP is like going from a 63 VW to a Lexus. No comparison.

Happy prails,
Rick
Old 12-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours is 37' and we've had no problems with site size yet. If anything the roads in some parks tend to be too narrow and/or too sharp on the corners to accommodate rigs going in opposite directions. Driving your 40 footer (sweet looking coach btw) should not be a problem. The wife drives ours like it was her car.