Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #1

My Aeroturbine Story

Now that I’ve had time to calm down a bit, I’ll tell you about my Aeroturbine install saga.

I bought the Aero Turbine muffler on Ebay a few weeks ago and received the associated bits and clamps to install last week. It should have been an easy install since I was pretty much removing everything from the flex pipe south, even if I had to sawzall it off. I removed the clamp at the end of the flex pipe (it was rusted so I just cut the bolts off with a cutting wheel, then sawzall’d the elbow from the muffler and removed it all. I still needed to get the elbow out of the end of the flex pipe. That’s where things went bad. I wiggled it a bit and it broke off the exhaust pipe from the end of the turbo. It just fell off.

I went above and removed the hatch to try and see what was going on. I could see the clamp that held the pipe onto the turbo and the end of the pipe was flared, so I tried to remove the clamp so I could reattach everything. The clamp broke. Now I’m dead in the water. I went online and found that NAPA stocks the clamp so the only thing I could do was wait until morning to get the replacement clamp.

The next morning I had an appointment at Firestone to get tires on the Jeep, so I walked over to NAPA. They had to get the part from the warehouse which would take about an hour. No problem. When the tires were done, I picked up the clamp and headed home. This was Friday and we were planning on leaving Friday night for Cadiz so it was critical I get this fixed.

The clamp did not work. It seems that when the pipe pulled out of the turbo, the flare either “unflared” or because it had some rust, the edges became smaller. So, the clamp had nothing to bite to. I’m starting to get pretty frustrated at this point, so I got on the phone and started calling muffler shops to see if I could find someone to either reflare the end or make a new flare. I could find nobody that had that ability it seems. One shop locally suggested I call another shop in the south end. So, made a call and the guy told me I was going to need a new attachment flare, and to call Darrell at Republic Diesel. Then, he could weld it on. So, another phone call to Republic. Darrell says he has the flare for $19, so I dash off to pick it up thinking I’m going to barely make it. I get to Republic and Darrell had looked up the wrong part number and says he doesn’t have the part, but can get it in three days. Crappit. He says I might try Cummins. So, now I’m off to Cummins. After waiting in LINE at the parts desk, they don’t have the part either. They tell me they only have up to the turbo and I’ll either have to go to Freighliner or Coachmen for the part I need. I’m feeling pretty low at this point and thinking about how I’ve ruined my life. A customer at the desk overhears what’s going on and asks me what the problem is. I show him the piece (I have the entire pipe with me). He tells me to go to Bluegrass Muffler as they can make anything. He says he had them make a complete stainless exhaust system for his motorhome. Here we go again.

I drive over there and the guy looks at my problem. He tells me that really, my entire piece needs to be remade in stainless for $300 bucks, but it’ll be next week before he can get to it. I tell him I’m really in a pinch and was there anything else that could be done? So, he says he can make me the piece in stainless and possibly clamp it on. I say “let’s do it”. Twenty minutes later, he’s back with this really nice flared stainless piece and he’s welded it to my pipe. He said my pipe was only surface rusted and in pretty good shape, so the welding went fine. $60 bucks.

It’s 1:30 now and I’m running home praying that this is going to work. In 30 minutes I had the entire system back together all the way out the back. It went together like a little puzzle. I did have to make a cut in the elbow I bought because it was a bit too long, but that was easy.
Overall, I’m happy, but next time (if there is one) I’m going to make sure I’ve got a week to put into this. The only thing left is to get a new chrome turndown for the back as I was unable to save the one I had. We drove to Cadiz and back and the only issue is that the pipe blew diesel soot all over the left front of my white Jeep. The muffler works well although I’m not sure if it will really help or not as it’s too early to tell. The motorhome ran very well. I don’t notice ANY difference in sound. A lot of people say these mufflers are louder, but all the way at the back I can’t tell. Just idling I don’t hear any difference. I did get 8.9 mpg on this trip driving at around 65 and towing a Jeep Commander. That's a little bit better than normal.

If nothing else, it looks impressive. You can sort of see it underneath the motorhome from the side and the chrome pipe and shiny bits look pretty cool
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad it all worked out for you.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Be sure to let us know about sound and if any other changes occur (ie: turbo spooling time, mpg, power etc etc)
thanx
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like one of my "easy jobs". Every time I do something that ought to take 15-30 minutes, it turns into a 4-5 day ordeal.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Sounds like one of my "easy jobs". Every time I do something that ought to take 15-30 minutes, it turns into a 4-5 day ordeal.
And three times as expensive as originally estimated.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #6

I think all DIY's have been there more than once. All easy jobs for me turn into a nightmare!
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Happens to me all the time! Nice to hear I'm not the only one with such problems!
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #8

I'm glad you have it all worked out. My brother and I when we were farming, had as our motto, "Everything we try, comes out just a little bit wrong!" LOL!! The muffler on my '99 had nearly rotted off, so, I decided to change to the Aero muffler. I didn't have any problems installing it, fact is, the original exited out the side, and I changed it so it goes straight out the back, looks like it came that way. I have made one round trip to AZ and back, and can't say as it made any appreciatable difference, eccept, sound. Now, my little 5.9 sounds like 500 hp! LOL!!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
And three times as expensive as originally estimated.

Always similar to when DC tells us they are making changes for the better.... at least on the level of complexity to 'comply, and of course when they say costs will go down, the three times factor always seems to bite us in some other 'fee'!

I think many of us cross read and post on RV.Net. Following Scott's (Firedude) post on his QD7500 repair, fits write in here with the 'If it can go wrong, it will...' rule's of RV ownership and DIY repairs!

Glad it worked out for you. Our Aeroturbine is on, and we've put about 3-5K on it now. Notice the sound when in tunnels, or next to on ramp walls for it to reverb off of. No real change when driving at highway speeds on the sound front. Power, I don't know. Sure it reduced back pressure, so I'm sure the turbine is a bit happier... But, I can't say I've seen a .xMPG improvement, of a xx% improvement in power. If I had to SWAG it, peraps a 3-4% improvement of at speed power. Not enough to feel it, but I do believe it is helping some. This is on the ISL.

Be interested in your findings.

Best to all, have fun, be safe - and allow time on projects for the 'one step backwards' section!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

Nice Write-up.

Thanks,
Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
God you're fast! For a minimum time I figure out how long it should take, then multiply by eight. That ususually puts me within three or four days of being done.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Next time post some photos... Turbo stuff is pecular, but nothing that can't be handled aftermarket... And in-non-stainless if you want.
For $300, you could have the non-stainless part ceramic coated.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Next time post some photos... Turbo stuff is pecular, but nothing that can't be handled aftermarket... And in-non-stainless if you want.
For $300, you could have the non-stainless part ceramic coated.
Which can be deminished by road gravel and grit. I'll stick with stainless.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I dunno Mac, I've never had a single problem with ceramic coated downpipes and headers, even those on motorcycles that were exposed to road grime and rocks. I've used it on several turbo applications.

Note, I love stainless too, but it's harder to find and fabricate... Just sayin' that anything you have made with steel can be ceramic coated and it'll outlast your rig...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote