Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
I'm upside down on this one as it is and I realize as soon as you drive it of the lot depreciation is huge, RV's are money pits and I get that, it's not why I have one to make anything it's pure for the love of the lifestyle. It's trying to figure which way I can be most stress free on the open road not worrying how far I get before the next major repair bill hits? I love my diesel and I feel the new Bounder is loaded with many options my diesel doesn't have and the floorplan but am I just being stupid, ok let me rephrase that I know I'm being stupid but is it more of a want or is it a good move at this point int time?
As a Bounder owner, I have to say... "good choice!" We have owned ours for 2 years and would do it again in a heartbeat. We have never owned a diesel but don't miss it; we are "vacationers" and don't see the advantage to having a $400k RV sitting in storage 95% of the time. A gasser works well for us, and Fleetwood builds a good one. Get the Bounder; you won't be sorry.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Glen, went from 35 bounder to dp. Main reason was to be able drive the thing. It was like a kite with no tail.... Loved the bounder!!! Better drive it on inter state on a windy day!!! Maybe they are better now mine was a 2005. one clue is how much Rv do you have behind the rear wheels if it has several compartments you will spend $$$$ on many fixes that end in nothing!!!! If the handling is better on the newer ones its a great unit!!! Good luck..,. Glen

Old 01-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
My thoughts are that when you start worrying about what is going to break next is the time to move on. You have been way more forgiving of spending big dollars than I would be. That said I personally think a gasser is great if you like the floorplan. We had a gasser for 5 years before we got our pusher. The gasser went everywhere the diesel goes without issue. I can attest that it was way cheaper to maintain the gasser including repairs. My DH wanted a diesel for years. I think it is a man thing. However where he could do so much on the gasser having worked on trucks he found out he couldn't do most stuff on the diesel. We love our coach but I was happy with that gasser too.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I don't know who's been doing your service work but IMHO your $900 for oil and filters each year is extremely high. I pay ~$400 for my CAT dealer to do a PM1 service including oil and chassis lube including oil and fuel filters. Even with generator service I'm not at $900. If all your service costs have been this inflated that might explain some of the reason why your total bill is so high.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I would point out that the change guarentees you will be paying $9600 more per year for the life of your loan ($80/mounth x 12 )
Mike D
Old 01-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedes View Post
I would point out that the change guarentees you will be paying $9600 more per year for the life of your loan ($80/mounth x 12 )
Mike D
Check your math on that or mistake with decimal point
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I don't know who's been doing your service work but IMHO your $900 for oil and filters each year is extremely high. I pay ~$400 for my CAT dealer to do a PM1 service including oil and chassis lube including oil and fuel filters. Even with generator service I'm not at $900. If all your service costs have been this inflated that might explain some of the reason why your total bill is so high.
That's twice a year service including gen.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You are scaring the heck out of me! I have a 14 year old Holiday Rambler DP. If you have replaced everything you said, I don't see what else could break. What kind of my do you have? I can't tell from your posting. It sounds like you are putting on some serious miles if you are getting serviced twice a year.

If that is the case, the gas Bounder may grow tiresome to drive. It sounds like you are driving 25k or more per year. If so, you will loose 30 thousand dollars the first year in depreciation alone.

I will admit, you have me scared about mine. Everything has worked perfectly for 2 years.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I have seen this subject talked about on here many times. People that are happy with their DP's will tell you to stay with diesel, people happy with their gasser's will tell you to go with gasser. You and your DW are gonna have to bite the bullet and live with whatever decision you make. There's pros and cons to both. First off, "Happy Wife, Happy Life", floor plan, floor plan, floor plan? How it drives and handles certainly is a very close second. If I was going to full time and drive continually, my preference would be diesel. I spend my time leisurely getting somewhere and spend time set up there, therefore not continually driving. I preferred the cost of a used gasser compared to similar size DP. I am happy with the F53 Ford V10 and I pull a 4800# pick up thru the mountains to get to the area in the south I want to go to.

Go with what feels right to you....

Good luck
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #24

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
That's twice a year service including gen.
Then you must be doing ~30,000 miles a year and running the generator ~300 hours/yr to warrant this much service. IMHO many MH's won't stand up well to this much use. I don't know what brand you currently have but getting a gas-powered Bounder is essentially going down-market and you are a "heavy user."
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
I love you guys! Great replies, I'll give you a run down and keep in mind that this was my first class a diesel and I have had it for 8 years and learned plenty!

Start with year 3 of owning it first issue was a leak in the bedroom slide, long story but it seems a previous repair was not done correctly and let water flow in behind bed below slide, repair slide, wall and floor just over $6000 not counting oil and filters for that year $900.00.

Year 4 had a service light come on but ran fine after 3 different repair shops, ECM and Turbo which took six months and $10,000 to figure out and fix plus oil and filters $900.

Year 5, new carpet, awnings and toppers replaced to do tearing. Also AC problem tripping GFI do to Norcold Fridge, $7500 plus the $900 for oil and filters.

Year 6, had a little accident, dropped rear duals off into ditch turning out of a parking lot to sharp going slow which popped siding of bedroom wall so I had a little bubble.... $20,000 but insurance covered that plus oil and filter $900.

Year 7, this last year, tires $4000 oil pan $1000, muffler and tail pipe $300.00, rad re-core $2000, intercooler rad repaired $1000, all breaks serviced, bearings and 2 inside rims, oil & filter $2200.00 plus other stuff in there that's miner.

Now we come the this year, hydraulic jack canister is rusting through and leaking haven't priced yet, the outside wall under slide that was repaired is bulging out that should be repaired $3,500.00 quoted for that, Norcold fridge will not work on propane and it is 14 years old and god knows what else!

Now I know I replaced, repaired and fixed a lot but it just doesn't stop, air conditioners, furnace propane tanks to be certified and may need replaced just to name a few, then the genny keeping figures crossed on that!
The one word I see in this report that alarms me is 'RUST', and if that is a problem on your coach I would have sold it yesterday. You don't state where you live/drive or the miles you drive, but IMHO I'd move up to a new(er) gasser. There are plenty of 2-3 yr old gassers in excellent condition(no rust) for a lot less $$ than new. But with a gasser expect more engine noise in the cockpit and to be blown around a bit on the road. And, don't expect to get much for your old one... be happy if anyone even wants to take it off your hands. Happy hunting.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #26

Be sure to check Tiffin Open Road gas models. Glad I did.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
You are scaring the heck out of me! I have a 14 year old Holiday Rambler DP. If you have replaced everything you said, I don't see what else could break. What kind of my do you have? I can't tell from your posting. It sounds like you are putting on some serious miles if you are getting serviced twice a year. If that is the case, the gas Bounder may grow tiresome to drive. It sounds like you are driving 25k or more per year. If so, you will loose 30 thousand dollars the first year in depreciation alone. I will admit, you have me scared about mine. Everything has worked perfectly for 2 years.
It has 72000 miles on it, I change oil and filters in spring and fall and that was suggested to me after I had not changed it for the first two years because again this is what I was told. The lack of use and sitting caused my oil to desperate and acids put pin holes in my filter about 2/3 up the filter a perfect ring right around it. Also it helped rot my oil pan inside out, so I was told change it twice a year regardless of mileage!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
The one word I see in this report that alarms me is 'RUST', and if that is a problem on your coach I would have sold it yesterday. You don't state where you live/drive or the miles you drive, but IMHO I'd move up to a new(er) gasser. There are plenty of 2-3 yr old gassers in excellent condition(no rust) for a lot less $$ than new. But with a gasser expect more engine noise in the cockpit and to be blown around a bit on the road. And, don't expect to get much for your old one... be happy if anyone even wants to take it off your hands. Happy hunting.
I live in Ontario Canada, and yes it's rusted which I did not look in many places I could see when I purchased now having said that the sitting outside in fall, winter months may have been the bigger issue, I don't know if rust was there when I bought it in 05 or it came after.