Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
You are scaring the heck out of me! I have a 14 year old Holiday Rambler DP. If you have replaced everything you said, I don't see what else could break. What kind of my do you have? I can't tell from your posting. It sounds like you are putting on some serious miles if you are getting serviced twice a year. If that is the case, the gas Bounder may grow tiresome to drive. It sounds like you are driving 25k or more per year. If so, you will loose 30 thousand dollars the first year in depreciation alone. I will admit, you have me scared about mine. Everything has worked perfectly for 2 years.
I think we have the same rig.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I see that now. Oh well, I've taken very good care of it so time will tell.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Sorry if I scared you but, like I said I think myself not knowing and misinformation and shops not having the skills have cost me large, a lot of it has not been the fault of the product, the Cat is a good strong engine that's runs awesome as well as the Alison trans, These and the HR it's self is why I keep spending money on it and keep it inside during cold months here. On Friday I went and started it up and moved it around in the building after 2.5 months of sitting fired up easily and purred like a Cat should!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #32

I have a gasser since it was new and have come to live with its short comings when compared to a DP. It is noisey so I don't listen to the radio much. I drive in Florida so the roads are level and straight so I don't worry about going up mountains. But when I drove to Yellowstone I wished I had a DP. The newer features are always tempting. I'd love to get a residential refer and the DW would like a washer dryer stack but you have to make a financial decision and it seems the DP you have is costing a bundle. While the Ford chassis has some handling issues I get it maintained at any Ford dealership. The oil change costs $45. It sounds to me that the real cost you are dealing with is aggravation. I camped next to a guy with a 20 year old MH on a Ford chassis last week and he drives from Alaska to Disney World every year and has 156,000 miles on it. Doesn't plan to sell it. I've heard that DP's can go a million miles but I don't think I have that many on my personal odometer. When you are pondering the decision to live with what you got or go for new, ask yourself, how long do you have.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 14 bounder 35k. It handles exceptionally well on the road and I don't get blown around. I've driven almost every brand from country coach and travel supreme down to entry class gulfstream c's. I expected less and got more with the bounder. It really is crazy smooth. The floor plan is fantastic and the fit and finish are great. As nice as some entry to mid level pushers. Heck, I could buy two bounders for the price of a mid level DP. The gasser is also easier to work on for the average guy. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to go to a pusher when I retire but the more I think about it, it's hard to beat a bounder.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a Gas engine Class A driver and we are out at lease every other weekend as well as a couple of week long outings a year. We're on the east coast in Jersey so most places we go involve mountain crossings. I also pull a motorcycle trailer. A Diesel pusher may be nice but my 37 foot Thor Challenger leaves me wanting nothing. At $104k I think its a great coach for the money. I do all my own service simply because it's so easy and cheap to do.

Like others have said, when I retire and if I plan on doing a lot more driving than parking, a DP might be worth the added cost of admission. But, until then, I can't see the value.

I Love My Thor Challenger.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT2000 View Post
I love you guys! Great replies, I'll give you a run down and keep in mind that this was my first class a diesel and I have had it for 8 years and learned plenty!
Much of your money spent looks to me like it would not have mattered if it was diesel or gas. (except for the turbo and intercooler work)
I have worked as a mechanic for more than a few years. I' can't imagine a oil and filter change bill totaling $900.
I can get a Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil for $10.90 a gallon.

I drive a school bus so i have plenty of time off each day.
It sounds like I should really start a Mobil oil change service.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #36

Quote:
I love you guys! Great replies, I'll give you a run down and keep in mind that this was my first class a diesel and I have had it for 8 years and learned plenty!

Start with year 3 of owning it first issue was a leak in the bedroom slide, long story but it seems a previous repair was not done correctly and let water flow in behind bed below slide, repair slide, wall and floor just over $6000 not counting oil and filters for that year $900.00.

Year 4 had a service light come on but ran fine after 3 different repair shops, ECM and Turbo which took six months and $10,000 to figure out and fix plus oil and filters $900.

Year 5, new carpet, awnings and toppers replaced to do tearing. Also AC problem tripping GFI do to Norcold Fridge, $7500 plus the $900 for oil and filters.

Year 6, had a little accident, dropped rear duals off into ditch turning out of a parking lot to sharp going slow which popped siding of bedroom wall so I had a little bubble.... $20,000 but insurance covered that plus oil and filter $900.

Year 7, this last year, tires $4000 oil pan $1000, muffler and tail pipe $300.00, rad re-core $2000, intercooler rad repaired $1000, all breaks serviced, bearings and 2 inside rims, oil & filter $2200.00 plus other stuff in there that's miner.

Now we come the this year, hydraulic jack canister is rusting through and leaking haven't priced yet, the outside wall under slide that was repaired is bulging out that should be repaired $3,500.00 quoted for that, Norcold fridge will not work on propane and it is 14 years old and god knows what else!

Now I know I replaced, repaired and fixed a lot but it just doesn't stop, air conditioners, furnace propane tanks to be certified and may need replaced just to name a few, then the genny keeping figures crossed on that!

OMG I'd love to be your service guy he's getting rich on you. Besides ripping you off!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The OP did say that the oil and filter charge was for twice a year at $450 each and that he was told to do it after the acid in the oil compromised a filter and his oil pan.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler52 View Post
OMG I'd love to be your service guy he's getting rich on you. Besides ripping you off!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish it was one service guy, it's been several as I have changed when I see that they are ripping me off one way or another. The last mechanic I went to is the first one that knew diesels and in fact is a Cat. mechanic, he actually saved me several thousands of $$$. If I keep it he will be the man!

Unless you own a diesel or have owned one you have no idea what these rigs cost to maintain regardless of some of it being my negligence or not. The bigger the more it's going to cost one way or the other and I think if I had put 30,000 miles or more a year it would be less to maintain.

The $900 is for 2 oil and filter services a year.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
The OP did say that the oil and filter charge was for twice a year at $450 each and that he was told to do it after the acid in the oil compromised a filter and his oil pan.
Correct!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #40

Quote:
I'm upside down on this one as it is and I realize as soon as you drive it of the lot depreciation is huge, RV's are money pits and I get that, it's not why I have one to make anything it's pure for the love of the lifestyle. It's trying to figure which way I can be most stress free on the open road not worrying how far I get before the next major repair bill hits? I love my diesel and I feel the new Bounder is loaded with many options my diesel doesn't have and the floorplan but am I just being stupid, ok let me rephrase that I know I'm being stupid but is it more of a want or is it a good move at this point int time?
For what you are paying for upkeep, I'd think you should move into another used, late model, DP again. It's obvious that you have had a run of misfortune. There are many around 100-125k that should work for you.

If you take your time and be patient, you should be able to find a gem. They are out there.

Remember, no diesel, no air suspension, engine up front, lesser ride quality. Know what you are getting into. Don't just buy a gasser, drive it for a good distance. See how that platform works. Drive a later model used DP and compare. Don't just jump to another rig and compound the issue. Slow steps...
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Oil and filter changes gen included are 250 bucks that I do 1xyear I've had some of the work you've had done and trust me you are paying WAY too much ! Wow I'd give up too if I'd paid that much !! Whatever you decide know that you somehow are a easy mark for service people , I'd take a look at fixing that also, or you'll be in the same place
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Well, somebody from Avon. My coach is stored in Avon. Family in Sheffield Lake.

Where do you winter your coach? indoors, rental lot, driveway.

Do you weekend camp anywhere? Who knows, maybe we could keep tabs this coming season and possibly meet and greet.