Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #1

My diesel or new gas?

I'm sure this has been discussed a few times but this is about my situation so might be different, I have a 14 year old diesel pusher that is costing me between $7000 and $10000 a year to maintain not counting payments and insurance. I went to the RV show and looked at a 2014 Bounder 35k gas, it has everything we are looking for including floorplan!

Now it costs almost 3 x what I owe but with a 20 year loan the payment is $80 more then I am paying now with no money's down, that includes a up graded 7 year warranty.

I know all the arguments diesel verses gas and it's 4' shorter but other then that aspect I'm trying to figure out what is the best route, stay with what I have and keep maintaining it or jump in now to a new gas?

Any thoughts on this or the Bounder which I have never had would be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Often "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know!"

Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Big decision! There are so many post of DP vs. gasser you would be very old by the time your read was finished. I am very curious as to why your cost are so high on your coach? Generally your question is answered many ways, floor plan, and how much do you plan on traveling, ie: many long journeys, or smaller more confined tours? Traveling a lot, IMHO, DP. As said many times on this forum, "happy wife, happy life," but your body may need the comfort of the DP? Best of luck, the hunt is a lot of fun.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

WOW, 7-10K a year to maintain! It would seem that at that rate you should have replaced just about everything in the MH. That being said, you now know that you could have several years of not having to do major work.
Even 'new' MH's have their issue, yes they might be covered under warranty, but it is still a hassle. How is the floor plan on your current MH and does it have all that you want? Take a good hard look at everything and decide what you want to accomplish before taking the jump.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

$7-$10 grand a year! holy smoke, Id like to know what your replacing for that kind of coin, seems really high
gbstewart
Old 01-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would look at how much you expect the new unit to depreciate going forward? You will still have maintenance on the new unit, how much do you expect to spend each year on oil changes, etc? The insurance on new one, taxes, etc should be added also as I would expect them to be larger expense than your current coach. You also have to look at the extra cost of not just the $80 payment, but the additional debt you are taking on over 20 years?

Then I would compare those costs to your current costs for the same items?

Then you have something to compare from a costs basis, but you still have to look at what you are getting from perceived value, new coach, technology improvements, etc.

Have you looked at what the costs would be to upgrade to a newer used diesel or gas that you are having to finance over 20 years? Would you be upside down on the new unit in 10 years or how many years you anticipate you will have the unit? If you are, then that is a costs also you must factor into your decision.

If you are just merely trying to justify the new unit, forget about it, and just do it if you can afford it, there is no justifying the RV lifestyle monetarily. Good luck and keep us updated on your decision!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
What are you doing to spend 7-10 grand a year? Wow
Old 01-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say it! Yes, new gas powered RV might be a very nice option if it is what you want on the inside.

Under the house will be a Ford F53, in one of many GVWR's. Triton V10 w/ 5speed, Tow/Haul mode and the maint. costs equal to a pick-up...Ford is the only show in town for stripped RV chassis, at this time.

I agree that a DP will often have more power (but the ISB is only a slight difference) and the DP will most often have air bags on all 4 corners.

But, these modern gas RV's have interiors that are often on par to many Diesel RV's. And, really most of the use of RV's is while sitting, where what engine you have doesn't matter.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
What are you doing to spend 7-10 grand a year? Wow
I love you guys! Great replies, I'll give you a run down and keep in mind that this was my first class a diesel and I have had it for 8 years and learned plenty!

Start with year 3 of owning it first issue was a leak in the bedroom slide, long story but it seems a previous repair was not done correctly and let water flow in behind bed below slide, repair slide, wall and floor just over $6000 not counting oil and filters for that year $900.00.

Year 4 had a service light come on but ran fine after 3 different repair shops, ECM and Turbo which took six months and $10,000 to figure out and fix plus oil and filters $900.

Year 5, new carpet, awnings and toppers replaced to do tearing. Also AC problem tripping GFI do to Norcold Fridge, $7500 plus the $900 for oil and filters.

Year 6, had a little accident, dropped rear duals off into ditch turning out of a parking lot to sharp going slow which popped siding of bedroom wall so I had a little bubble.... $20,000 but insurance covered that plus oil and filter $900.

Year 7, this last year, tires $4000 oil pan $1000, muffler and tail pipe $300.00, rad re-core $2000, intercooler rad repaired $1000, all breaks serviced, bearings and 2 inside rims, oil & filter $2200.00 plus other stuff in there that's miner.

Now we come the this year, hydraulic jack canister is rusting through and leaking haven't priced yet, the outside wall under slide that was repaired is bulging out that should be repaired $3,500.00 quoted for that, Norcold fridge will not work on propane and it is 14 years old and god knows what else!

Now I know I replaced, repaired and fixed a lot but it just doesn't stop, air conditioners, furnace propane tanks to be certified and may need replaced just to name a few, then the genny keeping figures crossed on that!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is your usage? Go more or stay more? We are weekends once a month with a couple weeklong trips a year. Moved from a diesel to a gasser with larger and better floor plan. Glad we made the move we did for the cheaper and easier maintenance of the gasser.

That said at retirement in a few years when the usage model changed we will likely go back to a larger diesel
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

WOW!! All that trouble and you're still wanting to keep at RV'ing!! says a lot about the enjoyment you must be getting out of the thing when it works. If it was a horse, we would have put it down long ago!!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I would look at how much you expect the new unit to depreciate going forward? You will still have maintenance on the new unit, how much do you expect to spend each year on oil changes, etc? The insurance on new one, taxes, etc should be added also as I would expect them to be larger expense than your current coach. You also have to look at the extra cost of not just the $80 payment, but the additional debt you are taking on over 20 years? Then I would compare those costs to your current costs for the same items? Then you have something to compare from a costs basis, but you still have to look at what you are getting from perceived value, new coach, technology improvements, etc. Have you looked at what the costs would be to upgrade to a newer used diesel or gas that you are having to finance over 20 years? Would you be upside down on the new unit in 10 years or how many years you anticipate you will have the unit? If you are, then that is a costs also you must factor into your decision. If you are just merely trying to justify the new unit, forget about it, and just do it if you can afford it, there is no justifying the RV lifestyle monetarily. Good luck and keep us updated on your decision!
I'm upside down on this one as it is and I realize as soon as you drive it of the lot depreciation is huge, RV's are money pits and I get that, it's not why I have one to make anything it's pure for the love of the lifestyle. It's trying to figure which way I can be most stress free on the open road not worrying how far I get before the next major repair bill hits? I love my diesel and I feel the new Bounder is loaded with many options my diesel doesn't have and the floorplan but am I just being stupid, ok let me rephrase that I know I'm being stupid but is it more of a want or is it a good move at this point int time?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What is your usage? Go more or stay more? We are weekends once a month with a couple weeklong trips a year. Moved from a diesel to a gasser with larger and better floor plan. Glad we made the move we did for the cheaper and easier maintenance of the gasser. That said at retirement in a few years when the usage model changed we will likely go back to a larger diesel
Se as you weekend during summer Florida 2 to 3 months winter!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
WOW!! All that trouble and you're still wanting to keep at RV'ing!! says a lot about the enjoyment you must be getting out of the thing when it works. If it was a horse, we would have put it down long ago!!
It could be I just wasn't smart enough of what I was buying at the time and could have seen some of this stuff coming, run of repair shops that don't know what they are doing and neglect on my part letting it sit in the cold and snow which the last 3 years have been in heated storage except for when we go south. When it runs it runs like a champion and I have more fun getting there then being there!