Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My Duh Moment x 2

Headed out to TX not long after winterizing the MH. I have added a new item to my winterizing check list. "Make sure all connections are reconnected and all valves off before turning main valve to city"

1st Mistake - As I readied the MH home for our trip I filled the freshwater tank, did not notice the valve was set to city water until I heard the waterfall on the opposite side of the MH. In my winterize process I disconnected the water lines to the washer/dryer combo. What I didn't do before connecting to city water was reconnect them. Needless to say that was a huge error. The W/D combo sits on top the rear furnace, totally flooded all electrical connections for the furnace. Fortunately once everything dried out it worked fine.

2nd Mistake - In stowing the outside shower hose in the plumbing bay I managed to hit the winterizing valve. For the next 3 days I'd fill the tank and it would be empty by the end of that day's driving. So for 3 days I worried about what I broke, how I broke and how much over $5000.00 it was going to cost to replace the tank. Finally on day four I decided to have another look and thats when I noticed the winterizing valve was open. It wouldn't leak sitting still only while driving. Apparently the sloshing would water going to the winterizing line created a suction effect.

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Oh man! Cant imagine the mess. Sounds like it turned out ok,so that's the main thing. Not everyone would admit to that. Have a good rest of your trip.

Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
You are a brave man to post that story. We have all experienced DUH moments so don't feel bad.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good grief!! That "waterfall" would have freaked me out for sure. Glad it all worked out for the best!
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
X ****
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having worked on boat all my working life , I have more than a few bad stories , we all do . Thanks for the warning , I was getting ready un- winterize my MH , will make a check list.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So easy to overlook something unwinterizing or winterizing. I usually look around to see if anyone saw what I had done. Usually it's on the first trip out.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After reading all of your great posts, I was beginning to wonder if you were normal. Join the club

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
I will not even start with all the Duh stuff I have done. But just think the older we get the more Duh happends.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, welcome to the world of boo boo's. The first one you explained is an identical of one of my forgetful happenings last spring when getting ready to hit the road ourselves. When I witerize now I leave a LARGE taped message in the plumbing bay to make sure everything is back together before turning any water on.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Thor Owners Club
I can't tell you how good it is to hear your story and others from folks who have been RVing for a while. Since we are quite green at this, it does my heart good to know it can happen to anyone. The DH thinks I am crazy with all of my checklist that I pull out whenever we do something with the RV. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
weedpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wish I could not say "Been there, Done that" but hey, that's how we learn.

And that's why God gave use Foreheads and hands with heals.

So you could hit forehead with heal of hand ... At times like this.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last week a friend of mine at a FMCA rally was having total elec malfunction while on shore power. After 2 hours of amateur troubleshooting we agreed it was his transf s/w gone bad. He had a mobile repair service out and he replaced the tranf s/w and fixed the problem.
Turns out when he bought the Tiffan coach from the factory in '07, "they" forgot to put the w/d drain hose into the coach's drain tube. First time they used the w/d it flooded the back of the coach and poured down through the wall/floor into the lower compartment and right through the transf s/w box. Looking at the replaced box there was a large rust stripe that coated all the contacts. It took 5 years for it to fail, but fail it did. The top of the box has punch holes for elec connectors and is not even close to being water tight or resistant.
I would recommend you closely inspect every area the water ran through, for possible future elec problems.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

And that's why God gave use Foreheads and hands with heals.

So you could hit forehead with heal of hand ... At times like this.
And that is why my hairline recedes so much. However it is helped along by some pulling of hair from time to time.

Dennis, I said I'd help you if you needed it. I would have stood there and given you a hand, "Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap."

I would like to get through reading all the new threads today, so I'm not going to take time to admit to my Duh-mer moments.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote