Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
My first Complete Remodel

So my wife and I recently bartered for a 96 National RV 29' Sea Breeze with the Chevy chassis sporting the 454 EFI. I think all together we payed about $1800 for it. Bad news is that it's been sitting since 2008 in a sandy field with the vents open. So I've gutted the entire inside, everything with upholstery was beyond repair, and the ceiling fabric was just as dirty as the carpet. On the plus side, all the appliances are in working order, and the roof has no leaks and is also in great condition.

So the point of this thread is that I will most likely need some help along the way and might be able to enlighten someone to the work needed to do a job of this size. So feel free to give advice, or ask questions.

The demo is almost complete at this stage, I'm just about to replace the bottom half of the rear wall because of the major water damage from the emergency exit, ladder, spare tire, and brake lighting all leaking. I will post pics when I get home after work.

Hope you guys enjoy this thread and remodel as much as I plan on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	310503_515275308511527_1062854721_n.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	37000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	37001  

Name:	IMAG0022.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	37002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0017.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	37003  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

Looks like fun. If you parked on the lawn, you wouldn't have to mow under it...more time to work on the RV.

BTW, is that the original body paint or did the OP have it painted?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like you've got quite a project planned! Hope everything goes as planned. Give us updates as you progress.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Looks like fun. If you parked on the lawn, you wouldn't have to mow under it...more time to work on the RV.

BTW, is that the original body paint or did the OP have it painted?
From what I can tell it looks to be the original paint, I thought it was a little weird myself. Usually they have decals or something. Thanks for the comment Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Sounds like you've got quite a project planned! Hope everything goes as planned. Give us updates as you progress.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Yeah its turned out to be a little more then expected so far, hopefully I've ran into the last big surprise. I'll be posting updates regularly as I'm sure I'll have many questions. Thanks for the Post HappyCamper.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
looks like you have a BLANK canvas of sorts

keep us posted
powerboatr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderCraved View Post
So my wife and I recently bartered for a 96 National RV 29' Sea Breeze with the Chevy chassis sporting the 454 EFI. I think all together we payed about $1800 for it. Bad news is that it's been sitting since 2008 in a sandy field with the vents open. So I've gutted the entire inside, everything with upholstery was beyond repair, and the ceiling fabric was just as dirty as the carpet. On the plus side, all the appliances are in working order, and the roof has no leaks and is also in great condition.

So the point of this thread is that I will most likely need some help along the way and might be able to enlighten someone to the work needed to do a job of this size. So feel free to give advice, or ask questions.

The demo is almost complete at this stage, I'm just about to replace the bottom half of the rear wall because of the major water damage from the emergency exit, ladder, spare tire, and brake lighting all leaking. I will post pics when I get home after work.

Hope you guys enjoy this thread and remodel as much as I plan on.
Is that WD40 and ArmorAll on the console? You're gonna' need some more! Hey, for $1800 you can't go too far wrong and could have an adventure of a lifetime! Show us the progress ... we all love a project and this forum always has great stuff. Thanks for posting
Old 04-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to iRV2! Looks like a great job so far; thanks for sharing. I'll be watching for updates!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
This is what a '96 Nat Sea Breeze looks like. This is of course a longer one, but you get the idea. Quite a project you have going.

Name:	00061ql2mrbverko.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	37022
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking forward to seeing your progress and pictures.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
National made a fine coach, so you have a great foundation on which to build. I look forward to watching this project as it progresses. This forum is a great resource, so don't be shy about asking any questions as they arise.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
So I didn't get around to uploading pics last night, by the time I started working on the RV it was dark out. I've ran into a couple problems though; I cant seem to find where the fresh water fill line goes (it was removed by PO), and I cant get my thermostat to kick the compressor on. The fan will kick on, I can hot wire the compressor to come on, but the thermostat isn't working it. I went to home depot and purchased a cheap digital thermostat to replace this one but I'm having around the same problem, the compressor will kick on but only for a short time and the fan only blows in low mode. So please lend me some advice on all this. THANKS
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
This is what a '96 Nat Sea Breeze looks like. This is of course a longer one, but you get the idea. Quite a project you have going.
Yeah I was able to find the original brochure and the manual for the generator online, so it gave me all the specs for the RV. It was all put together, minus the bedroom being turned into an office and shower missing, when I got it. The wife and I were thinking about doing a camo wrap and diamond plating the sides with a nice chrome cap on the top sides. That one looks like its the same length as the one I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Looking forward to seeing your progress and pictures.
Thanks John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
National made a fine coach, so you have a great foundation on which to build. I look forward to watching this project as it progresses. This forum is a great resource, so don't be shy about asking any questions as they arise.
Yeah we were really lucky to find this coach and for the price we got it at. While we were doing the demo I realized that this was a really well built RV and is mechanically sound. The PO was a company that kept service logs and took really good care of it, we found some logs and they were replacing everything that seemed to have a problem.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderCraved View Post
I've ran into a couple problems though; I cant seem to find where the fresh water fill line goes (it was removed by PO),
Are you talking an outside "city water" hose connection, or do you suspect it had a separate "tank fill" connection too? I know slightly newer Nats had one hose connection then a valve to divert to coach (city water) or to the tank. This is in an outside bay.

Quote:
I cant get my thermostat to kick the compressor on. The fan will kick on, I can hot wire the compressor to come on, but the thermostat isn't working it. I went to home depot and purchased a cheap digital thermostat to replace this one but I'm having around the same problem, the compressor will kick on but only for a short time and the fan only blows in low mode. So please lend me some advice on all this. THANKS
Do you have the analog Duo-Therm thermostat (manual switches) or the Comfort Control Center thermostat (Digital with 4 or 5 push buttons) with the on/off switch on the bottom?
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Are you talking an outside "city water" hose connection, or do you suspect it had a separate "tank fill" connection too? I know slightly newer Nats had one hose connection then a valve to divert to coach (city water) or to the tank. This is in an outside bay.
It has a separate connection for the tank fill, there is a door on the outside of the RV that says tank fill, but when the PO made the back room into an office the removed the hose, I cant find and hole in the floor that would of been used for the filler hose so I'm stumped.

Quote:
Do you have the analog Duo-Therm thermostat (manual switches) or the Comfort Control Center thermostat (Digital with 4 or 5 push buttons) with the on/off switch on the bottom?
It had the analog Duo-Therm

Also thanks for the help.

Tags
national, remodel, seabreeze