Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
My first message and first RV.

Hi every one from St- Sauveur Québec.
Before I begin, I just like to express my gratitude to all the good people that take the time to keep us inform and thus keep us away from costly repair.
Yesterday we put a down payment on our first rv, a 2000 Kountry Star (Mountain Air) and after reading some of the do and don’t in the forum I need to ask a question about the risk in leveling the rig.
One person quoted that there is a risk of creaking the windshield if not done properly
quote: don't raise one rear corner of coach too high without having the front high enough to enable it to pivot . 2 windshields are expensive
Can some one explain, and if you have any other warning about the jack I’ll be all ears..
Also. on my first attempt to retract the jack one of the got stuck half way, I had to pry it up with a piece of wood, the rv have been sitting for a few years… just normal.? Are we suppose to spray some lubricant on the shaft..??
Thanks again for all the help..

puzzlegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang here!

Different manufacturers have different instructions about leveling. If you don't have a manual that covers this I would just call the tech support folks at the company and get their recommendations. You definitely need to be doing in correctly!

My MH has air leveling only, not jacks, so I can't help with the jack question. If you will tell us what MH you have, someone will jump in I bet!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I cracked my windshield on mine the first day I drove it because I didn't know how the jacks worked. I wondered why my levelers didn't have separate front 'right' and front 'left. The reason is that they (slowly) bleed into each other so you are not torqueing the frame. My book says to always put the front jacks down first and then the rear, and level from side to side with the rear jacks. Some motorhomes only have one front jack to accomplish the same thing.
Had the same problem with one of my jacks (not retracting the whole way). Sprayed it with Silikroil or Aerokroil. I only use that on the jack that is stuck to free it, then use heavy duty silicone on all jacks before every trip. There is another thread that I posted the use of aerokroil and silikroil, worth the read.
Leveling Jacks slow to return

I have been through your town on many snowmobile trips, nice place in the winter and I hear that the summer is even nicer. Have over 100,000 miles on snowmobile in Quebec but gave it up about 10 years ago. I miss the exhilarating cold weather.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Some say to use WD 40 or silicone spray on the jack pistons periodically. I'm sure others will post answers for your query. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
WD 40 will remove oil you can put transmission fluid in a spray bottle works best since basically that's what it using.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Here is a Brochure and 2001 Owners Guide for you assuming you have a gas coach.

As for your jacks you need to lift each pair of jacks together on the low side rail, yellow light, together by that I mean both jacks on same chassis rail front and rear.
When you lift each chassis rail you will not twist the chassis frame.
You only need to observe the red lights and you will see the front and rear red light come on together on same side of the control panel.
Once you have both rails lifted and your on a level pad the yellow light will go off.
You also need to lube the shiny pistons with WD-40, recommended by HWH, and wipe them done a few times to clean the pistons.
If the jacks do not return fully you may need new springs which can be discussed later.
The HWH reservoir needs to be checked for fluid that will show level on the shaft of the bell vent on top of reservoir. Fluid level needs to be between the two lines of the shaft with all the jacks fully in stored position.
You do not want to over extend the jacks and lift rear tires off ground and you can also flex the frame and bind your entry door in its frame.
Always level coach with the chassis rails first may only have to use front and rear jack pairs to lift slightly.
If you have a jack that does not store use a 2x4 x 8' to lift the jack up with no part of shiny piston showing or you will get a alarm when starting the engine.
In my signature below are links to more info for your Newmar.
Congratulations on your coach and welcome to the Newmar family.
Enjoy the forums and come a join us in the Newmar forum.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #8
I had the same problems with my jacks so I spayed them with silicone lube, wiped them down good and then resprayed. No more problems. I will do this as a regular maintenance item.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2005 Newmar Kountry Star DP
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Thanks for the welcome, already a wealth of information.. Very happy.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #10
Gerry.. Yes very nice part of Québec,, in both season. So… Why have we decided to spend winter in Florida..??
Like you I guess, done the alpine ski and the skidoo ’’also a long time a go in the Sept-iles area in the 70’s when the snow was like wow, now the snow hill have snow cannon..!!!’’ and want to try some thing new.. This winter, we’ll be in Myrtle beach area so the tuque will be pack along.. I
From my first experience I can see that at first both front and rear jack go down in pair, then it’s the front and rear of one side together.. I still don’t know if I can pup up the front two pair together if needed.. I will investigate but would be nice to know before hand..
Special thanks to 007, all that info will keep me very busy and happy..
I will surely be back to you..
Gilles. (jil)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
After months of researching, renting, looking and then researching some more we purchased our 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. The information we found in here was a great help. Thanks to everyone. I will spend the next couple of weeks checking, washing, waxing and maintaining. Then we will be ready to hit the road for a few short runs before the snow hits and makes me put it away. Thanks to all.
Mike and Diane Whelan, Traverse City, Michigan

michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote