Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
My first RV and need help 😅

I just bought a 94 ford Dolphin MH and it doesn't pass emissions because it's rich on gas what do I do th fix it

Nikitikitavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Originally Posted by Nikitikitavi View Post
I just bought a 94 ford Dolphin MH and it doesn't pass emissions because it's rich on gas what do I do th fix it
Take it back to where you bought it , and have them fix it.

Paul & Ann Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
If you didn't buy from a dealer (who should be on the hook for this issue if you did), you'll need to do some troubleshooting to determine why the engine is running rich/reading high HC emissions yourself or with the assistance of a qualified repair shop/dealer.

Generally speaking, some possible causes - in no particular order - include but may not be limited to:
  • Bad/fouled mass airflow sensor (MAF) and/or manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP)
  • One or more bad fuel injectors not metering fuel properly
  • Worn spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and/or rotor
  • Failing oxygen sensor(s)
  • Damaged/worn catalytic converter(s)
  • Clogged air filter (less of a candidate with fuel injection, but still)
Again, this is not an exhaustive list of possible causes. If the Check Engine lamp is on, reading the stored codes will likely point you in the general direction to start with. If not, you've got some detective work to do unfortunately.

Locating a service manual for your chassis will help in this regard. Helm Inc. has most factory service manuals available for purchase. For online diagnostic & repair information, I find Alldata DIY to be extremely valuable. Also, even though your coach is based on the Ford F-53 motorhome stripped chassis, a lot of F-550 truck information is relevant as well.

Good luck!
2013 Ventana 3434
1994 Jeep Wrangler
PantherJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Originally Posted by Nikitikitavi View Post
Get a scan done and go from there, you might just need a complete tune up, will also help with the mpg and performance as well..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
May have bad gas if it's been setting for a long time.
Stanley & Barbara
2002 38" Monaco Knight Dp
stan5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #6
Don't know what state you bought it in, but in CA it is the sellers responsibility for smog.
My 07 Winnebago faild it's last smog for the same reason. Turned out to be 2 cracked spark plugs. Last people to touch the engine was CW, when they installed my Banks Exhaust.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by LINADR View Post
Don't know what state you bought it in, but in CA it is the sellers responsibility for smog.
Correct, private or dealer the seller is responsible for any vehicle to pass smog test. If they don't want to repair it contact the California Bureau of Automotive Repair.

Bureau of Automotive Repair, State of California, Dept. of Consumer Affairs

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

need help