Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #15

Rexhall Owners Group
Awesome. Good call, looks like you have a great MH.

Martin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #16

Wow! It is great that you brought it back to life.

My thoughts are that something will be compromised, even though you have gone through it well. Just stick a couple of grand somewhere, and know when you spend it on a surprise repair, you saved that amount many times over by taking a smart and calculated risk.

Document everything you do (like you are doing), and a buyer would feel much better about considering a purchase. In the mean time, enjoy it and smile big!

Several years ago, I bought an old DP that had sat for five years for $5K. I did great on the rehab and sale. There is not an evil spirit in broken things, they are just broken things. Fix the problems and move on.

Matt B

Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Welcome, and congrats!! You were at the right place, at the right time, and had the right skillsets to determine if this was worth diving into. The calling the owner was the final good feeling about the potential of this rig. Most people are not equipped to take this kind of a risk. And I suspect the Insurance Underwriters did the math on the unknowns, and decided to not get too involved on what the tear down adventure would find. Add in your hours at normal RV Shop Rates, and that adds up too. And, it could have very easily been worse... Thus, salvage it was.

Happy for you, enjoy the ride!
Smitty
Very true. The things I fixed would have probably been fully replaced such as a $8500 generator and the whole leveling control assembly instead of just the motor,etc. Then as you said $100+ shop rates an hour. It would have added up quick. Lucky for me I have mechanical skills and more time than money lol.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #18

What a great deal and great work.... most of us only wish we could find such a deal and have the knowledge you have to repair it and as you use it, find little issues your experinaced to handle them..... I'll bet a used one on the net will bring more than double what you have in it. I wonder, did you call the previous owners back and let them know what you found? I wonder what they would say about it?
Old 01-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
What a great deal and great work.... most of us only wish we could find such a deal and have the knowledge you have to repair it and as you use it, find little issues your experinaced to handle them..... I'll bet a used one on the net will bring more than double what you have in it. I wonder, did you call the previous owners back and let them know what you found? I wonder what they would say about it?
I told the previous owner I purchased it and was going to get it back on the road. He wished me luck and hoped I got it going. He said he was not a mechanic but being water didn't get anywhere close to the inside of the MH he felt I could fix it.I haven't spoke with him since then.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #20

My driver side slide topper had a rip in it so I ordered one from tough topper. It came in so I spent a little time today installing it. Turned out pretty good being this was my first time ever installing one.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:06 AM   #21

Professional results, great work all around!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Jake

I think you did great. Keep an eye on the compartment door frames, battery trays, and various cross members for corrosion. Most RVs are made with angle iron structures and spray painted black. You might consider washing down the under carriage with a salt remover like SaltAway then clean wash. I know you said the water that surrounded the RV wash fresh, but that area has a lot of brackish water.

Did the rising water exceed the water tank height? If so, the water system may be contaiminted. Consider flushing the system. You can search the forum here and find how to super chlorinate your water system.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Jake

I think you did great. Keep an eye on the compartment door frames, battery trays, and various cross members for corrosion. Most RVs are made with angle iron structures and spray painted black. You might consider washing down the under carriage with a salt remover like SaltAway then clean wash. I know you said the water that surrounded the RV wash fresh, but that area has a lot of brackish water.

Did the rising water exceed the water tank height? If so, the water system may be contaiminted. Consider flushing the system. You can search the forum here and find how to super chlorinate your water system.
Thanks for the tips. I used the fresh water that was in the MH to clean with and it was nice and clean. I drained it afterwards and there was no debris in it. I have been all under the MH greasing everything and it is as clean as a new one under the bottom. The baggage compartment floors and walls are fiberglass or abs plastic not sure which one,so glad they weren't wood.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #24

Took her on its maiden voyage camping today. It's just a short run to smith lake. I wanted to make sure it's going to be good to go before heading to fort wilderness in February. I also wanted to try out the tandem tow I purchased so loaded up and headed out. So far so good.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #25

GREAT JOB Jake!! I am with you on this one! So many people are afraid of a salvage title, but when things are done right it really does not matter to me as long as it is safe! Anything can be rebuilt if a person wants to tackle the job, you have a fridge fire in an rv, as long as its not a total rebuild it.

People have house fires all the time, what happens? someone comes in repairs the electrical, plumbing dry things out, repaint etc. etc etc.

You move back in and keep living. Again GREAT JOB
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #26

Great job Jake! Salvage titles scare people who are not approaching the project in the way you are. I think you've scored in several ways. As someone else appropriately said, your skill set allows you to make this work! I think another benefit of this deal is you now know your rig FAR better than most RV owners will ever know theirs! Good luck friend and safe travels!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #27

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. So far this weekend the MH has been working as good as new. Hope it stays that way.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #28
DJJ

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/02...ouble-tow.html

Might want to check the laws on towing for the different states you plan on traveling through. Tandem towing is not legal in many east coast states.

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.