Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

My fixer upper Safari Simba

Thought I would start a thread about my recent rv purchase. I currently own a raptor toy hauler but have had the hot's for a MH. The story goes I was at copart picking up a wrecked Mack truck I had bought (my father and I own a big truck salvage yard) and there sat a really nice 2008 FRED safari simba so I go check it out and the thing is like new. I couldn't figure out why it had been totaled so I look it up online and says water/flood. I find the previous owners name and number in the rv and call him. He said it was in a camp ground north of gulf shores in April when they got 20+ inches of rain and the CG flooded and that water got half way up the lower cargo doors and it was fresh water. So I thought to myself this thing isn't hurt at all so I make a low bid on it and I win it. I then drive 300 miles back to mobile and but some new batteries in it and it fires right off so I drive it back home 300 miles problem free even had a full tank of fuel in it. So after I get it home I start fixing things that got water in them.

First up was the onan diesel generator. It fired up but didn't make power so pulled it out and inverter assembly was bad. I drive to my onan dealer and purchase one for $1470 not cheap but needed it.

Pic of the bad inverter.

Pic of generator running like a champ after inverter install and sliding gen set back in and what a pain getting gen set in and out of that hole.

So I move on to the magnum inverter not working so I order a new one for $930 shipped. It arrives and there is no 20 amp breakers in it like the old one so I call magnum and they inform me the quit putting breakers in them and that I will need to install a sub panel which I did and also put in a new transfer switch just to be safe. Now all of that works great.

So now I'm testing other things and I get to the automatic levelers and they don't work so I pull the electric motor and it froze up from water. I buy a new one $210 of ebay. I install it now levelers work as they should.

Had to replace house batteries $378 from sam's.
Out with the old.

In with the new.

So after $3000 or so in parts she's good to go rving. It amazes me insurance would total this rv. It only has 5900 miles on it. It's a freightliner chassis with cummins engine and Allison transmission on 22.5 tires.

Here's a few more random pics of it.

When I picked it up at copart.

Some inside pics after the wife gave her a spring cleaning.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Looks great,can you get a tag for a totaled vehicle.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I wondered that also. I hope so she sure is nice looking. I really like the exterior Colors.
Tim
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't touch that rig with a ten foot pole! But I would wrap my hands around it and run! Sounds like you fell into a great deal for an RV! And it looks great! Interior and exterior colors are timeless classic colors that will never go out of style. Looks like a new unit- you did good!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Salvage title. Jake will own this rig until it's dead, but he should be able to register it.

And when we tell people that they really need to be handy to own an RV, I'm pointing them to this thread. Great job,Jake.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #6

In our neck of the woods, a salvage title simply means you can't get full coverage insurance on it (comp & coll). Can buy and sell it just fine. Just that ins. is limited to liability.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jake, welcome aboard. I am very glad for you.
Grey Ghost I is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Did you service the transmission. If the water was that high on the rig it could have seeped into the transmission.

Other then that you got a heck of a deal and it sounds like you know how to fix things, which is half the battle.

Good luck with your future travels.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Awesome . Bed looks a little uncomfortable thou .
Old 01-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #10

I have rebuilder license as there with my dismantler license so I have already sent off the paper work to get it inspected and a rebuilt title issued. It is no problem where I live to get full coverage insurance on the rv with rebuilt title. Rebuilt title will hurt resale value but that doesn't matter to me as I'm planning on keeping it for a long time. I'm not sure of its worth but I don't mind telling what I have in it. I have $26,500 in it.

Yes I serviced all the fluids and filters. But believe it or not there was no signs of water in anything but the generator oil and it was very little.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake74 View Post
I have rebuilder license as there with my dismantler license so I have already sent off the paper work to get it inspected and a rebuilt title issued. It is no problem where I live to get full coverage insurance on the rv with rebuilt title. Rebuilt title will hurt resale value but that doesn't matter to me as I'm planning on keeping it for a long time. I'm not sure of its worth but I don't mind telling what I have in it. I have $26,500 in it.

Yes I serviced all the fluids and filters. But believe it or not there was no signs of water in anything but the generator oil and it was very little.

Wheel bearings too?
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #12

Wow, outstanding deal Jake!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Wheel bearings too?
Yes,there wet bearings and the oil in them looked like new so didn't mess with changing oil in them. Headed to shop today to hook up bed room tv to satellite box. The MH has a winegard satellite pod mounted on top and I can't believe how good it works at finding a signal. Planning on going camping in it next weekend to smith lake for a test run. Then I'm off to disney fort wilderness camp ground February the 5th.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #14

Welcome, and congrats!! You were at the right place, at the right time, and had the right skillsets to determine if this was worth diving into. The calling the owner was the final good feeling about the potential of this rig. Most people are not equipped to take this kind of a risk. And I suspect the Insurance Underwriters did the math on the unknowns, and decided to not get too involved on what the tear down adventure would find. Add in your hours at normal RV Shop Rates, and that adds up too. And, it could have very easily been worse... Thus, salvage it was.

Happy for you, enjoy the ride!
Smitty