RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #1

My Freightliner Left Headlight is Possessed!!

Help, Judie and I need some help. Just bought a used 2007 Winnebago Vectra TD. Drove it home at night and everything on the smart wheel seemed to work, including headlight fast, marker light flash, wipers, washers, and cruise control. Drove it a bit and turned on the wiper/washers, and was rewarded with lights and alarm tone. The camera seemed to switch to the left side camera view even when the turn signals were turned off, and then went to rear view when the turn signal was activated to the right. The left turn signal flashed rapidly and and would not shut off, eventually turning solid. They went off when I turned the lights off. We found that the drivers headlight and marker lights were all out. Tried to replace the headlight bulb, and noticed all the marker lights and turn signals worked properly with the bulb out, or with the light headlight switch off, they still work with a new bulb in place, but the problem recurs with the bulb in place and the headlights turned on. I put a voltmeter on the headlight receptacle, low beams show 12 v to left and ground, nothing on right, on high beams, shows 12v to right and nothing on left. The was a little evidence of arcing (slightly melted plastic around of the the receptacle terminals, so I replaced that, with the same voltmeter results, although the lightbulb plug-in feels much less sketchy. Any ideas would be really appreciated.
I can only guess since it is isolated to the left headlight it is a ground problem or a controller problem. Or could a stuck relay do all this?? Thanks

JudieandRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #2

My 2011 Freightliner has a light control box with relays- does yours have one? It was super-confusing to my when none of the lights were controlled by the relays in the fuse box...

justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Found the issue, I thought because my voltmeter showed 12.8 volts at the bulb socket, (no load) the fuses were ok. My neighbor swapped the right and left headlight fuses and they both worked. looks like the left headlight fuse might be soft or there some grime in the fuse contacts that got dislodged when the fuses were swapped. I think the safest thing to do is to clean those contacts on both sides and put in new fuses. Have to figure out where to get these fuses, I believe these are "resetting" fuses, you can't see any contacts on these fuses and they appear to have some kind of heat dissipating heat sink like material on them. Regular auto parts places can't seem to help me find them. I will have to contact either winnebago or freightliner.
JudieandRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, headlight, light