Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Smile My front airconditioner is making a funny noise when it starts up.

When I try to use the front aircondioner in Our Holiday rambler Endeavor 2004, it sounds like there are leaves in the blower and then it stops, making the noise.I need if any body has had the same problem what You do it stop it. I took the top off of the unit and when I turn the mortor shapt it isn't real smooth turning.some times I turn on the unit and it has a hard time starting up.I switch the fan controls over to manual and then it starts up, but is making a noise, like leaves in the squirrel cage fan housing.if any body has had any problem like this could You help Me.

Phil in Lavonia

Phil and Linda/ 2004 40ft HR Endeavor/ We like towing our 2 White honda goldwings 1800 in a enclosed Horton Hauler trailer. When not towing our bikes we tow a 2005 Titan Nissan Truck
Phil Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
Could it be a bearing going bad? If you can get to the bearing on the motor shaft try spraying a little lube on it & see if it gets any better. (unless it is a sealed bearing)

2011 40' Monaco Cayman PBQ ISC 360
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
CampingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ran into this several times on furnace's. They used a squirrel cage fan. It was made of plastic. The plastic broke and the fan got out of shape and hit the side of the enclosure. I don't know if this is your problem, but you might check it.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Mine was doing the same thing. I took the shroud off and could hardly turn the motor so I went ahead and ordered a replacement motor, cost ~$120.

When I took the old motor out you have to disconnect it from the front blower and then take the motor and rear blower with shroud attached off as an assembly. While doing this I found that the motor mounts had failed/collapsed and it let the rear fan hit the shroud, which was probably what was making some of the noise. The motor does not have any good may of lubricating the bearings, they are sealed and you cannot replace them.

Got the new motor in and installed and the AC worked great, started right up with no hesitation with the compressor. It was a lot quieter also.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #5

One of the units on my 94 did this. There were 2 ports near the fan shaft covered with little plastic caps, which you could remove and add oil to the bearings. I did this and squirted some white lithium grease on the shaft and was good to go. Good luck
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Mine was doing similar as well. Fearing the worst, I pulled the shroud and had a look around. Couldn't find the problem at first, but then located the nest mud daubers had built in the squirrel cage. One thorough cleaning later, we're back in business, good as new!
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
I had the same problem as ahicks the mud daubers seem to like the squirrel cage I have had to remove them twice now.

Fkrel is offline   Reply With Quote