RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Lightbulb My fuel gauge goes up and down

Perhaps someone has some experience with this:

Trip was short but with 3/4 tank of fuel drove about 50 miles and dry camped for a weekend running the generator most of the time. Starting up, I found the fuel gauge going up, then down (back and forth). I can hear what sounds like gears behind this analog dashboard moving. I fueled it up all the way and it still was doing it. Two weeks later, I drove to Eastern Washington, still was doing it but sometimes it stopped going up and down. Minutes later it started all over again.

This coach is all analog, 2007 Western RV Alpine Limited Diesel with 28K miles. My local dealership says best to take to a semi truck place where they may have more experience. Anyone got a clue what might be going on?

BOEINGME is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
It sounds like either a bad sender in the tank, or a loose wire somewhere between the sender and gauge.
If you can get to the sender connection, try shorting it to ground to see if the gauge goes to full. If it does, likely it's the sender.
Hope that helps.
Happy Glamping.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

X2 on what Unplanned advises - exact same thing happened to me. Bad sending unit.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Sending unit in your Alpine is analog. Common wire wound resistor 30 ohms empty and 240 ohms full. Dash gauges were made by Actia and are digital controlled. “Wagging” of the gauge needle from low to high is the startup initial move it makes when you turn the key on. Check the multi pin connectors on the back of the gauge cluster for corrosion, bent pins or not fully seated in socket. You will get more help for an Alpine on the Alpine owners forum than the class A forum.
c_oneil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Also, bad idea shorting the hot wire of the sending unit to ground. You Vansco multiplexer box might not like that $$$. I would check the resistance across the two terminals of the sending unit with the key off.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

Nice support...

I'll pop it open (dashboard) and see if connection is corroded. Then I'll take the next steps as needed. We'll keep you all advised. Thanks so much for you input.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #7

I have an intermittent issue on Monaco just purchased. Only studied the issue.
Found tons posts on forums and troubleshooting articles and vids. on Centroid senders. All senders are based on resistance or capacitance. Not sure who makes yours. Look for your sender to identify .. It was posted yours is resistance if you remove sender wire and placed a resistor in that range it stay steady if bypass sender.Centroid have a tag right on top with #s. Also bio matter can grow in fuel and foul them. Everyone recommends. Biobor but you have to be ready to swap filters if you kill of a big problem .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #8

New issue, same gauge

When I opened up the dashboard to see the connections in the back of the gauges, I found the connectors became easily disengaged. I reattached and used a rubber stretch tape to keep them in place. Now, instead of the fuel gauge going up and down constantly, the gauge remains at full. When I filled it up and drove 200 miles the gauge didn't adjust. It appears all other functions are working. I'm questioning the wiring that was reattached. Does anyone have a diagram for how the gauges jumper wires would typically go? I can't even find a manufacturer. Thanks again everyone..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	249573   Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge2.jpg
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	249574  

Name:	gauge3.jpg
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	249575   Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge4.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	249576  

Name:	gauge5.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	249577   Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge6.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	249578  

Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

Looks like an Alpine Coach
Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Have you checked the output from the fuel tank sending unit? I have personal experience with it failing. If you have a multimeter you should check the resistance across the sender. It should be about 240 ohms at full and 30 ohms empty. You can check it across the two terminals right on the sender (drivers side front wheel well). Can also check it at the 21 pin chassis interconnect passthrough connector. This is on the front bulkhead near the vansco box forward of the passenger footwell. Disconnect chassis power first then with the connector open probe resistance across pin #7 to ground on the bulkhead mounted side of the connector. Pin #7 is a white 16 ga wire with 1637 printed on it. You could pierce that wire on the backside of the connector and check it there too. If you don’t get some reasonable number for resistance based on the fuel level the the sender or wiring to the sensor has a problem.

Tags
fuel